Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Lets discuss the topic of Roll Crimping lots to here need to get it all in one place.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    All loaded up again. I just pushed them onto my wooden trim dowel. I spun them while I put a heat gun to the outside. Also roll ceimped the hot glued rounds and cleaned out my roller afterwards. I will be trimming the RST rounds to the same length as the federals from now on. They are just a little to short to get a good roll crimp. I also mist have spun my drill a little to long and fast as I can see I melted one of the edges pretty smooth. I need to find some 10 guage hulls to practice on.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-07-2021 at 03:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I also rolled 10, 3.5” 10 gauge shells. I pushed to hard and to fast on the first one and screwed up the end of the hull. I ended up cutting it down and loading 1.5 oz of #6 shot vs 2oz in all the rest. I took the load out of the Mighty 10 gauge book. It’s 39 grains of HS-6, a x10x card, a SP10 wad (wad and card donated by a member here...thank you!) , 2oz of shot, and a overshot card. I didn’t have a bathroom scale so I just used the weight of my body to compress the x10x wad over the powder...to the point I was lifting myself up. I also tried to roll crimp without cutting the original 3.5” hulls down. That’s were I got into trouble. I needed to shorten them a bit. I trimmed them by eye since I already had the wads in place. I also roll crimped them with a cordless drum and holding them. I didn’t get them perfectly even but they all seem rock sold accept for two thst I can here pellets barely moving. I cycled four of them without firing though my browning gold. They look better in the photo...or I’m just picky. I’ll test them out on targets tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to make the over shot cards waterproof? Also my shot card isn’t perfectly flat on a couple. Will they still keep my shot in place under recoil? I’d boy I was thinking of some waterproof glue over the shot card? All I can tell you it’s time to find a drill press as my hand is getting sore holding shells.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XImpbnf.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	280969
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-07-2021 at 06:42 PM.

I just picked up a 28ga. O/U. Who makes a good roll crimp tool in 28. BPI has their original tool in stock but I'm not real impressed with the one pin rollers. Gp

GP: the Reloaders Network has the nice 4 pin tools available in 28 ga. $50. Probably the best way to go.

https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/...-pin-28-gauge/

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Thanks Randy. That looks like a good one. Waiting on a shipping notice from Classic Firearms. I've bought several items from them and they've always been quick to ship in the past. I know everybody's busy right now BUT I think businesses should be restricted from debiting accounts before shipment of merchandise. Too many use their customers as their their small business loan officers. I will give a shout out to Midway USA. I bought my first firearm from them last week and they didn't debit my account until the revolver arrived at my FFL. Okay, my impatient rant is over. Carry on. LOL Gp Okay got an Email this afternoon from Classic with an apology for the shipping delay Said they were doing there best to keep up. Likely just my patient nature.
    Last edited by gpidaho; 04-16-2021 at 09:40 PM.

I have a couple GAEP roll crimpers. The finishing crimpers work like a dream. The roll crimpers are a little finicky. They like a certain RPM and my 12 ga GAEP roll crimper deos not like Cheddite skivved hulls for some reason.

Here’s some Rio hulls I roll crimped with the GAEP crimper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rolled these up the other day for my 16 gauge drilling
    21 grains of 7625, SG16 wad and 7/8oz of #6 shot in a Cheddite hull
    David

Name:	zJAdNM8.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	291043

Name:	DUGVtwe.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	291044
    scopes and bags are cool, but palm rests 'n' irons RULE!

Quote Originally Posted by David todd View Post
    I rolled these up the other day for my 16 gauge drilling
    21 grains of 7625, SG16 wad and 7/8oz of #6 shot in a Cheddite hull
    David

Name:	zJAdNM8.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	291043

Name:	DUGVtwe.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	291044

Not Fair! Using an old roll crimper that actually worked perfectly before all of us were born!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789