Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russian Federation 12ga. Hand Press

Russian Federation 12ga. Hand Press

As I've mentioned before I'm somewhat of a gadget freak. If I'm lured to an object, I'm the most likely fish in the pond to be caught. Been "In the boat" many times. I recently received my new Reloading Press 12ga. "FC" offered by the Russian Federation and sold on Ebay by Forrest-Camping 2016. At under $30 TYD it works surprisingly well. If I were a prepper it would go nice in a bug-out bag. I'm staying home to hold the fort myself. One of the better features is the wire strung crimp starter, it works very well on new primed hulls that haven't had a crimp set. The whole kit is about the same cost as a metal crimp starter from BPI. I'll have to see how it holds up but it works even better than I thought it might so far. Gp

Boolit Mold
    Looks interesting. how do you like it?

Texan74: I think it's worth at least what they cost. They work pretty well really. Gp

Boolit Master

Pictures?
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

sounds great lets see a finished shell

Boolit Master

And you can still be a prepper and stay at home; you found a useful tool at a bargain price that does what you want it to do. Sounds like your prepping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. Pics

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    . Pics

GP

Were these virgin cases or reloads? Nice looking crimps.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Scott: Left rear is a new case from BPI the other two are reloads. I can't tell the difference. The little wire crimp gismo is what I believe to be one of the best features of this kit. It can be restrung with new wire if the need arises. Watch the tag ends, they can be hard on your thumb. LOL. Gp

looks great for a grab and go press

Boolit Grand Master

That is neat, very nice crimps. What I would love to see from Lee is a portable shotgun kit, and not their hand kit. What I always had in mind was the Load All, but without the powder and shot hopper. You can do all that with scoops. I think Lee nailed it with their resizing ring. My only problem is the Load All is it was designed for target reloads, with shallow crimps. You can't get nice deep crimps like that on the Load All, the die is just not shaped for it. If you could graft that Russian crimp finisher onto a Load All, remove the hoppers, you would really have something.

Not to take anything away from the Russian kit, I just think it looks kind of flimsy, and can't resize brass.

[QUOTE=megasupermagnum;4514054]That is neat, very nice crimps. What I would love to see from Lee is a portable shotgun kit, and not their hand kit. What I always had in mind was the Load All, but without the powder and shot hopper. You can do all that with scoops. I think Lee nailed it with their resizing ring. My only problem is the Load All is it was designed for target reloads, with shallow crimps. You can't get nice deep crimps like that on the Load All, the die is just not shaped for it. If you could graft that Russian crimp finisher onto a Load All, remove the hoppers, you would really have something. MSM. I agree that the Russian kit looks a little flimsy and I don't think it is meant to be an everyday reloading press, more of a grab bag sort of tool. In use it is somewhat more sturdy than it appears. As to the cut down version of the Lee Load-All, I've owned mine for over 20 yrs. and I have never filled either the shot or powder bins. I use the Load all a lot to build special loads and find it very handy. At times I use the Lee sizing rings in conjunction with my Harbor Freight arbor press for those high brass hulls that want to hang up in my other brands of presses. They are another great and inexpensive Lee tool. I have a Mec Super Sizer on the way. I hope that it works as well as folks say. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, the Super Sizer is the best resizing tool out there. No effort, and adjustable. It's not nearly as portable as the Lee resizing ring, but I just C clamp mine to the bench, so it doesn't waste space.

My LnL Press will work with the RCBS Cowboy Die by simply removing the bushing in the top of the press. It has the same 1 1/4-12 threads as the RCBS and other presses have.

Unfortunately that die is for Brass Cases not plastic ones. The kicker on regular cases is getting the crimp to close right, and RCBS doesn't have a crimping die to my knowledge. The Cowboy Die does do a roll crimp on the brass cases but that isn't the same.

You could do a Roll Crimp on your shells off the press with a drill press or hand drill. Seat Primers on a flat plate with a Dowel as well as using the dowel to seat the wad.

Or you could do it all with a Lee Hand Die Kit.

Or you could get a used MEC or other single stage Shot Shell Reloading Press off Ebay and do it right.

There are lots of ways to do every Reloading Operation. Just have to figure out what works for you.

I have cogitated for some time to come up with either a mod to my Hand Press or a completely new tool. In every case either it won't work, or it will work poorly, and anything I would do would be reinventing the wheel and it probably wouldn't even be round.

There are just too many good shot shell reloaders out there for way less than anything I'd come up with.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy: I agree that there are many ways to accomplish the simple task of reloading a shotshell. I just thought you all might like to hear an opinion on this Russian tool. As mentioned in the O.P. I'm somewhat of a gadget guy. Also I have a small collection (accumulation) of Mec, Pacific, and C&H presses as well as the Lee Load-All and Lee loader kits. Scott,( dsh1106) Just sold me a really sweet Lyman easy loader press. I don't have one of the RCBS Cowboy dies and as yet, I haven't purchased any brass hulls. I ordered one of BPIs guides for loading brass shells and they provided no data for smokeless loads, just BP and Subs. For black powder loads I just use Federal paper hulls for the few BP and Triple Seven loads I build. On a side note (Wandering off on my own thread) I took delivery of a new Maverick HS-12 yesterday This will be my smooth bore slug, RB and buckshot shotgun. Might get out to the range yet today if it quits raining. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    My LnL Press will work with the RCBS Cowboy Die by simply removing the bushing in the top of the press. It has the same 1 1/4-12 threads as the RCBS and other presses have.

Unfortunately that die is for Brass Cases not plastic ones. The kicker on regular cases is getting the crimp to close right, and RCBS doesn't have a crimping die to my knowledge. The Cowboy Die does do a roll crimp on the brass cases but that isn't the same.

You could do a Roll Crimp on your shells off the press with a drill press or hand drill. Seat Primers on a flat plate with a Dowel as well as using the dowel to seat the wad.

Or you could do it all with a Lee Hand Die Kit.

Or you could get a used MEC or other single stage Shot Shell Reloading Press off Ebay and do it right.

There are lots of ways to do every Reloading Operation. Just have to figure out what works for you.

I have cogitated for some time to come up with either a mod to my Hand Press or a completely new tool. In every case either it won't work, or it will work poorly, and anything I would do would be reinventing the wheel and it probably wouldn't even be round.

There are just too many good shot shell reloaders out there for way less than anything I'd come up with.

Randy
    Sorry to drag this off topic gpidaho.

W.R.Buchanan, I've had the opposite experience with most things shotguns. Sure, most anything on the market will make a shell that goes bang. If things were real bad, I could reload a shotgun shell with nothing but a nail, and my bare hands. The number of presses on the market that make a good shell, as good or better than factory, is quite low. The lee hand kit won't do it. The Lee load all can make shallow crimp target shells, it loves the AA and Remington hulls. I've been round and round with MEC, and I'm convinced they just are not the best mouse trap. If you work with them enough, you can make decent shells. The sizemaster is a decent stand-alone press, but not at all portable. Same with the PW, Hornady, and number of older presses, they are all huge. It absolutely blows my mind that guys argue decade after decade about rifle powders like 4350 vs 4064 vs one of the other hundreds of identical powders. They argue about tenths of an inch, a few FPS, and yet shotgun reloaders are left with a dozen or two choices in powder, sub par equipment, and told to stay exactly to the load manuals. I'm glad people are still trying to improve shotgun reloading like this new Ebay press. I know there are ways to improve shotgun reloading presses, I can think of hundreds, it just comes down to machining skill and money.

Sorry for the rant, I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets fed up with the frustrations of reloading shotgun while watching new rifle equipment come out every day. Nice find gpidaho.

Boolit Master

Great find. I like simple stuff. That reminds me of some of the old Lyman early shotshell tools. Simple but worked. I started out with an old Lyman and by today's standards, it left a lot to be desired but it allowed me to turn out enough 12 gauge shells for small game hunting. Of course, those were the days when shot came in 5 pound bags./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

I saw that thing on Ebay recently
    Wish it were in 410. Does it have a way to resize the base?

curiousshooter: No, these are simple tool, pretty much the minimum amount of tooling to accomplish the task. (I know that in direst of times it could be accomplished with less) The least expensive way that I know to add a sizing ability would be to purchase a Lee Load-All sizing ring. Available from BPI for $3.99. Yes, I'd like to see one in .410 myself. My survival .410 loader also available on E-bay at the cost of over $60 has a very poor ability to crimp. One of the great things about the Russian loader is it's great crimp feature. Gp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast