Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beretta M9

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Nice pistola. What do you think of the Sig Sauer replacement? My BIL is career military. He says the 92 is a nice gun for the range but, in combat, the 320 is bound to do much better.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Got issued my first M9 back in 87' as it replaced our M1911A1s. Did lots of training and multiple combat deployments with that gun. Carried a suppressed version in 91' and 03' in Iraq possibly the same pistol as we only had 3 in the BN. No issues with the safety as I train to swipe it off on the draw and reengage it when bringing the pistol down. Did my longest handgunning with the M9 out to 300m repeatable on a KD range. Was working toward my Distinguished Pistol Badge with it when I retired. Another is on my list to buy whenever I get home next. Still have plenty of holsters, mags and a complete spare slide/barrel. Hopefully in about 10 yrs when the M17/M18s are fully fielded and M9s are in storage they get added to the NADA and become surplus to CMP

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    Shot it this week with Blazer 115 gr FMJ and Speer 147 gr FMJ. The gun shop didn’t have any 124 gr.

Pretty anti climatic to be honest, lol. It was reliable and accurate easily holding 3 inches off hand at 25 yards. I’m pretty sure if I benched it the groups would cut in half.

I have 2,000 jhp bullets on the way to reload and 2,000 rds of 124 gr 9mm NATO ammo to blast through. At my current rate of making it to the range, that should be a lifetime supply, lol.

Overall this is a well made, well fitted, full size service pistol. Accurate and reliable as well. The only thing I’m going to do is a trigger job. Right now it has a 12 pound DA. I’m sure I can lower that significantly.

Banned
    I have a lot of rounds through various Beretta 92's - 92 SB, 92 F, Compact Type M.

They will feed and fire anything that sort of looks like a 9 x 19.

The best of the lot (for me) was the Italian made 92 SB, probably circa 1983-84 vintage. That gun would feed empty brass from the magazine during malfunction drills.
    The coolest one of the lot was the Inox (stainless) Type M. That's was a Compact slide with frame that held a single stack 8 round mag. wished I would have held onto that one just for the Neat O' factor

In a lot of ways the Beretta 92 was the pinnacle of the old school/old world combat pistols. Forged aluminum , intricately and expertly machined frame. Forged steel open top slide. Lots of forged/machined small parts. Lots of little springs, pins and plungers. And it all works beautifully ! The basic design can trace its roots back to the model of 1951. Some aspects such as the open top slide go back even farther.

The evolution that resulted in the M9 is interesting. From the single stack, single action M1951 to an aluminum framed, double stack mag, DA/SA action with a firing pin safety and 1911 style mag release was quite the journey. The M9 is deserving of some respect and I think Beretta earned every bit of that respect.

Good deal!!!

Boolit Master

Your forgetting that the M9/92 series is nothing but a Walther P38/P1 on steroids. Exact same DA/SA trigger, locking block, exposed slide (just lengthened). Mag catch, recoil spring/rods, safety and loaded chamber indicator just modified.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    Always good idea to "rob the bank" rather than the lickerstore,,, design wise that is
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

Never doubt Combat Diver

Boolit Master
    Lately I've been shooting the RanchDog 130 (double dip lubed with BLL) over 4.0/Universal (from RD load notes) with good results in a 92FS. I've got some PC'd (Smoke's clear) on the bench ready to load. Probably shoot them next week.

I'll echo comments on ergonomics. I have large hands and the pistol fits well.

When the M9 was first issued we were getting ready for a deployment and we exchanged all our 38 S&W and Rugers. Everyone had to requalify and there was no 9mm ammo at the ASP yet. S4 went out on the economy and bought it. Everyone got trained up and qual'd.

Bn Supply Sgt came to me at the range and asked me what I thought we should do with all the brass since he could not turn it in. [Teeheehee, says me] Throw it all in the back of my truck, I will dispose of it...
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Count me as a fan of the 92/96 pistols! They are good honest, accurate and rugged service pistols albeit a tad on the bulky side, which I like.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Trigger job is done. Double action is down to a smooth 6.5 lbs and the SA is 3.75 lbs. still has a good bit of take up in Single action, but it breaks crisp. All safety checks passed.

Boolit Master

Love Life.....
    I love mine too. Is there rec fire at the PI ranges?

Banned

great gun. I personaly think the military wasted a lot of money on research to replace it. could have bought a lot of good guns for the millions wasted.

Boolit Master
    Love mine, put a few Wilson Combat parts in it, not because it needed them, I just wanted them. After 2K rounds, it has never had a single malfunction. I carry mine in a Simply Rugged Cuda, and only use the safety as a decocker, as that is how the AF taught me to do every year.

I'm out of a 9mm. Maybe this year I'll quit messing around and get that Beretta.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Galco shoulder rig which I used on Iraq and Afghanistan deployments with satisfaction. I've got my personally purchased magazines also (the old issued one did not satisfy me as to reliability). Now all I need is an M9, which I always found to be a rugged, accurate, and reliable pistol.

Boolit Master
    Take the jump!! I’m happy as a pig in mud with my M9. Every time I pick it up, it’s like shaking hands with an old friend!

Now I just need to be able to go shoot more, lol.

Boolit Master

Nylon holster with flap.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I am not a fan of the 9x19mm. A friend of mine who is retired DCMPD has had his SIG P320 back to the factory three times and it STILL stovepipes/smokestacks and misfires with 147-grain Olin OSM and Speer G2 he has. He has given up on SIG and is tired of the BS he gets from customer service as retired LE, does not believe them, because THEY LIE, and when the gun comes back he is selling and looking for an M9.

As for me, I stick with my 6-shot wheelguns because they don't leave empty brass scattered around, just sayin'
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Picking up brass can be a hassle. It’s cheap enough that if I’m feeling lazy then I’ll just leave it. I prefer WCC military brass even though I have to swage primer pockets. 4 reloads and I trash it since I load most of my 9mm to +P levels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12