RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Produces the Keurig Coffee Pods?

Boolit Master

Who Produces the Keurig Coffee Pods?

As the title asks, I am interested in knowing if each coffee manufacturer produces it's own Keurig pods and pay Keurig a royalty. Or does Keurig produce them all using each particular recipe and paying the brand a royalty?

The reason I ask is that we have been using a particular brand of pod and recently had a quality problem. The top foil wasn't sealed well and leaked grounds under pressure. After being accustomed to being able to drink the coffee "to the last drop" this was disappointing. I sent the brand a message from their website asking about the lapse in quality and have received no answer after 2 weeks.

We are now in the process of evaluating various brands of Keurig pods. It shouldn't take that long since all flavored coffees were eliminated before we started.
    John
    W.TN

Banned

A Pod and a K-Cup Aren't the Same Thing?

K-Cups versus PodsThere's a whole bunch of confusion these days about what to call the various types of single-serve coffees (and teas). If you're reading this, it's likely because you want to know about Pods and K-Cups.

If you are like most folks, you're probably thinking "What do you mean? A pod and a k-cup are the same thing, right?".

Wrong. The short answer is that pods will not work in K-Cup machines and vice versa (K-Cups will not work in pod brewers). They are not interchangeable... unless you have an adapter or were smart enought to buy a coffee maker that brews both right out of the box.

So, let's define a pod and K-cup:
    A Pod is coffee or tea that is sealed inside filter paper. They have a round, flat shape and are usually soft and pliable. They are sometimes individually wrapped in foil or just packed loose in a larger resealable bag. Pods are also known as coffee pads.
    A K-Cup is is coffee or tea (and recently hot chocolate and cappuccino) that is sealed in some kind of cartridge, generally a plastic cup. The cartridge has a plastic ring covered with a foil top. The inside of the capsule is lined with a filter material and keeps the coffee contained while brewing. When you place a K-Cup into a compatible brewer, there are two needles that puncture the lid and the bottom of the cup. Water flows into the top, extracts the coffee, and out the bottom (the bottom needle punctures the plastic cup, but not the filter paper... usually).E.S.E. pod with appropriate portafilter
    http://www.coffeeteawarehouse.com/co...-vs-pod.htmlhe Easy Serving Espresso pod (E.S.E. pod), is a small packed coffee pod with a paper filter covering for use in a non-grinding espresso machine. The E.S.E. standard was created by Italian Illy in the 1970s and is maintained by the "Consortium for the Development and the Protection of the E.S.E. Standard." It is open to all coffee roasters and machine manufacturers, making it the self-acclaimed "only open system available to the sector for espresso coffee prepared with paper pods".[1]
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy...g_Espresso_Pod

A lot of companies make private label coffee pods and K-Pods. I like the opend source pods. Plastic sucks. Easy search for K-Cup manufacturers.
    Last edited by jmort; 10-31-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    Have you looked at the refillable K-cups? The wife and I got a Keurig for a wedding gift and she's mainly the one that uses it since I have cut back on my coffee quite a bit. I have seen the refillable ones, they go for about $19 or so, then you fill them with whatever grounds you like and go from there. Haven't used one yet so I can't say how good they are, but its an option?
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 429421Cowboy View Post
    Have you looked at the refillable K-cups? The wife and I got a Keurig for a wedding gift and she's mainly the one that uses it since I have cut back on my coffee quite a bit. I have seen the refillable ones, they go for about $19 or so, then you fill them with whatever grounds you like and go from there. Haven't used one yet so I can't say how good they are, but its an option?
    I have a couple, not a fan because after use you have to rinse them out, or at least dump out the contents before making another. They do have mini-filters for them, but that just makes the concept mute IMO.

I like Walmart brand Donut Shop coffee k-cups, cheaper than other brands and not half bad quality and flavor.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Thanks for all that information. I will only refer to K-Cups from now on. I'm not sophisticated enough to care about expresso. Fifty+ years ago you drank expresso, grew a beard and let your hair grow and never washed it. Those times are long gone for me.

I guess what I'm hearing is that K-Cups are manufactured by each brand and a royalty paid to Keurig(Dr. Pepper). We are trying various brands of K-Cups now to determine which we like and don't let the grounds escape and run down into the cup.

I had already found out that the Keurig 2.0 machines would not let me use the Keurig cup that I used my own grounds in. Until I investigated I did not realize that there was a major revolt against Keurig. I think they deserve every criticism they get. When this one breaks(I expect it anytime), I will be doing my research before buying a new maker.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    My second Keurig quit working properly. ( Lori took the first one to school with her.) I e-mailed then called, sent pictures because one type would do just fine and the others, that Keurig sent, was hit and miss. They sent me a new one with my promise to send a part from the machine postage paid to a recycling plant in Massachusetts. That was over a year ago and all is fine now. I managed to get two of the little screen filter things but neither fits the machine that I have at home.

I like it because I don't waste a lot of coffee with it. I'll brew 8 oz. of strong coffee, wait for it to reset, and brew 4 oz more of regular brew, all with the same pod. I still keep a jar of freeze dried instant coffee in the cabinet just in case, but that instant stuff is awful!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I think we've had three of them - we liked them but it seemed liked they only lasted so long and then told a dive. Can't help you on who makes the coffee inserts but I often wondered if they didn't come from that same factory but with different labels/coffee. We used the refillable cups for a while and they worked OK but then the machine took a nose dive. We were careful to use distilled water from the grocery store in them as our water had a lot of iron in it. I liked being able to brew just one cup at a time - but we went back to a Mr. Coffee or similar after the last Keurig decided to go to the happy hunting ground. The machines aren't cheap, the coffee for them isn't cheap and I was tired of buying a product that had a "life" to it - much shorter than any other coffee maker we've had in the last close to 50 years. IIRC, my wife got the refillable cups at Bath and Beyond.

Boolit Master
    My brother has a keurig, and I really don’t like it. Doesn’t brew a full cup (at least not my cup). I still use a 12 cup pot that my dad gave me when I joined the Marines. So I’ve had it for 15 years now. He had it in the Army for at least 10 years that I can remember. Brews fast and hot!!

Boolit Master
    Question: Who Produces the Keurig Coffee K-cups?

Answer: A company that has duped the public into paying $40/lb for coffee!

There is machinery available you can buy to build up your own production line (https://coffeetec.com/collections/k-cup-sealer) and I assume that the plastic cups can be bought from several manufacturers who in best case pay a royalty to Keurig.

The wife and I drink some coffee a day (about 6 cups each) and we trashed the Keurig for cost reasons a few years back and got one of the machines that grind the beans and brew a fresh coffee on a push of a button. That got me into another hobby as well and now I roast my own beans - cheaper than bought coffee and a coffee that tastes so much better than anything I could buy...
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master
    Moka pot, but I only drink one cup in the morning.

Banned
    I love mine. I have learned that I have to keep the filters clean and clean the needle thingy when it quits pumping out coffee. Use good, clean water is key.
    I almost never buy the pods, to expensive and not always available in the brand and grind I like. The fill-it-yourself device is wonderful. And a lot cheaper.
    I begin the morning by emptying the 12 cup maker then switch to the Keurig for all day long coffee when I need it. I can get two cups of coffee from a single scoop of coffee.

It's the next best thing to sliced bread in my kitchen.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    I fixed that sliced bread problem. Bought a mixer with a dough hook and can make whole loaves.

I've been using Krups grinders and Melita type filters for 40 years. Costco quit carrying filters, probably to support the k cups Section, so now I'm paying 2 cents each, double the price. I don't see giving up more counter space or money for something as easy as coffee.

Thanks for the posts. I wondered about the k cups.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    those little cups cost a bunch compared to a big bag o beans, i'm hooked on sams club columbian in a french press, rather save my $ for powder, primers an new shootin irons

Boolit Master

Big Lots K-cups for me, lots cheaper. I only drink 1 cup a day so a regular coffee maker is a waste.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I like Walmart brand Donut Shop coffee k-cups, cheaper than other brands and not half bad quality and flavor.
    If you look closely at the bottom of the walmart brand K-cups it says something to the effect of...any quality concerns should be addressed to ..... Green Mountain Coffee. Blah, blah...therefore Walmart K-cups must be re-branded green mountain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by seetrout View Post
    If you look closely at the bottom of the walmart brand K-cups it says something to the effect of...any quality concerns should be addressed to ..... Green Mountain Coffee. Blah, blah...therefore Walmart K-cups must be re-branded green mountain.
    Hmm, did not know that, I like green mountain. I've purchased their branded coffee before, and it was decent.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

I guess I'm just cheap.
    I refuse to buy a 12oz cup of coffee for 3 bucks, when that same 3 bucks will get me about 5 40oz pots of coffee at home.

It's the same with K-cups. I gotta stand there and wait 2 minutes for each cup of coffee, at a dollar a cup. About 10 minutes to fill a thermos.

Just another way to rip off the American Consumer by big business.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

We use a regular pot most of the time but also have a Kuerig for occasional use. I agree the K-cups are ridiculously expensive so we got the refillables as well.

Dark Roast Green Mountain is one of my favorites; will have to try to find the WaMart equivalent.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I fixed that sliced bread problem. Bought a mixer with a dough hook and can make whole loaves.

I've been using Krups grinders and Melita type filters for 40 years. Costco quit carrying filters, probably to support the k cups Section, so now I'm paying 2 cents each, double the price. I don't see giving up more counter space or money for something as easy as coffee.

Thanks for the posts. I wondered about the k cups.
    I also use the Milita filters in my coffee maker. I used to wait until Kroger or some other chain had a BOGO sale but that wasn't reliable so I bought a half dozen boxes from Amazon. I'm fixed for quite awhile.

My wife prefers the Keurig coffee and I drink it later in the day, so we go thru quite a few K-cups. I also buy those mail order and have the cost down to about 50¢. I'm now looking into grinding my beans hoping for better tasting coffee.
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast