WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a 22 semi auto. suggestions please.

Lots of good advise here. Good option recommendations for different price points. I have been shooting 10/22's since 1974. I currently have 2 with all sorts of whistles,bells,trigers and clips. I can highly recommend them.

Boolit Master
    10-22s are fun...
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

10-22's are really nice but...... the 22 that has been most enjoyed by our family is the Marlin Papoose. Wood stock. Remove barrel and stow in 2 foot gun rug style bag. Accurate enough for 4x4 inch blocks out to about 100 yards after a few range and windage shots. Compact 10 round magazine or longer 20 and 30 round magazines are available. Kid or petite woman friendly. Easy to add an inexpensive 4x rimfire scope to for older eyes. It was just so easy to take it down, pack it and some .22's to have for some plinking wherever we were at if the opportunity for shooting existed.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Don't ignore used guns. Many bargains out there.

Don't ignore tube magazine guns. No magazine to lose, hold alot of rounds. Reliable feeding.

Marlin Model 60 is great buy for the money. Common as dirt.

So are older Sears or Montgomery Ward autoloaders made for them by Savage or Mossberg and the Mossberg 151, 152, 251, 352, 702, Springfield 85, and Savage 62, 64, 187, etc.
    I'm a sucker for all those old 22's. When I can find them I buy them. They all shoot very nice.

Moderator Emeritus

I, too, am an aficionado of the olllld .22s, having a few in my safe. My two cents to the thread is questioning the "advantage" of having large capacity magazines to these, which -- just to ME -- ain't (sic) necessarily so! Albeit I'm an old Bullseye shooter who -- 'ceptin single shots -- loads everything in quantity of *FIVE* -- other than, perhaps, fending off an attack of a field full of jack rabbits all racing at me with a vengeance ( ) -- the safety component of having a measured magazine capacity (again, to me and me only -- I don't wish to change this thread to one of .22 mag capacity pros and cons) -- outweigh having the large cap ones.
    Yes, too, I concur with those who recommend Ruger's 10/22 -- and for mine, I have FIVE-round magazines. I purchased clips which enable two magazines to be glued top-top together; think of the "jungle-clipping" back in VietNam days -- and, with two five-rounders so put together, it's not difficult for me to know how many live rounds are at my disposal in each. A couple more of these in a pouch pocket -- and, I can have thirty pre-loaded rounds, ready to go.
    As a side note, my favorite .22 is a CZ model (452 Varmint) -- and I've never been "without enough" using their 5-round magazines.
    Re the tubular mags -- hey, I, too have one of these -- which I also ('though this one hardly leaves the safe ) load in groups of five.
    BE SAFE regardless of your choice! In addition to the many other reasons for owning one or two or three of these - .22s ARE fun!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    Second the Nylon 66. Had mine for about 50 years, never any problems. My Ruger MK I pistol has shot thousands of rounds thru it. Think I cleaned it once. Will shoot just about anything I have tried.

I have a Ruger 10/22, a Remington 552 Speedmaster and a Marlin 99 (Model before the 60) and if I could only keep one it would be the Marlin. But I like all 3 and won't be getting rid of any of them.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

On the smaller firearms the larger capacity magazines are somewhat awkward. The Papoose 10 round sits just barely outside the stock. Only thing that has been fun with more shots in the magazine is putting up a shooting gallery of clays, wood blocks and assorted physical targets. Otherwise the 10 shot is more comfortable and practical.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Always wanted a browning buck mark carbine. My buck mark 5.5 target pistol I received new in 91' is a shooter. I know you want a semi auto but I bought a CZ 452 ultra lux super exclusive last year that is a blast to shoot. The barrel is soooo long it sounds like it's suppressed. I also bought a ruger American rimfire 22 wmr last year that's rediculous accurate. I love the extra knock down and range of the WMR. I had squirrels crawl off with marginal shots with my 22 lr to big holes and dropping on the spot with the wmr.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I got a bad start with the semi auto 22s thirty to forty years ago. Seems like they were always having lots of problems. Have they gotten the bugs worked out by. Should I take another chance on one. If so which ones are good and which ones to watch out for?. Sorry if this is more or less a repeat of the original question.
    Thanks
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 12-02-2018 at 01:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    Had an anshutz semi years ago very magazine fussy not that accurate ,got a base model 1022 ten years ago easy to clean and modify ,cheap mags, should have got one years ago .

Boolit Master
    One nice thing about the 1022, and fot that matter most removable magazine rifles, the feed "system" IS the removable, and cheap, magazine. On tube fed there are a good many little stamped parts in the rifle itself. My beloved Browning SA22 and Rem 241s are a bit better in that regard. In my personal experience, the 1022 factory mag is very reliable and even moreso with a little less pressure on the follower.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have to admit over my life I have, for some reason ignored my shooting roots by not shooting a couple of .22's I have. Over the last coupe of years I have had an awakening. My last acquisition was a little carbine I have always wanted but never seemed to have the itch when someone posted one for sale. A Marlin Papoose now resides in my gun safe and will be the gun of choice when I shoot Rimfire Matches up here. I paid an arm and a leg for the gun but it is as knew. I could hardly believe my luck. Off to the range in a few minutes and will report back here how she handles.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    Beretta Cheetah Model 87, reliable and elegant.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Mossberg 702 Plinkster, generally around $130 new. The first one I bought used in excellent cond. for $60 (a Ducks Unlimited model) and the second one, also used in excellent condition for $72. Very similar to the Marlin 795. Plenty accurate and very reliable with factory magazines and the ammo noted below. Some of the aftermarket magazines are in the 50-50 range of reliability.

The only downside is that although the magazine follower holds the bolt open after the last shot, it does not lock it back, so when the magazine is removed the bolt closes. On one hand it's a bit of a nuisance but on the other hand one does not have to either count the shots or have to "dry fire" on an empty chamber after the last shot. Actually, a very minor inconvenience as far as I'm concerned.

Mine will shoot anything I have put through them but pretty much needs to be HS. Some SV will work the action and some won't, so I just stick with HS, mostly Wildcat which I have a pretty fair supply of.

One can even get 25 round magazines for it but as with most larger capacity magazines, they hang out the bottom and in general look like a herniated baby pig.

I MUCH prefer my "vintage" 22s but for the price, how can one turn the Plinkster down, especially given the price of "vintage" 22 autoloaders?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    I have to admit over my life I have, for some reason ignored my shooting roots by not shooting a couple of .22's I have. Over the last coupe of years I have had an awakening. My last acquisition was a little carbine I have always wanted but never seemed to have the itch when someone posted one for sale. A Marlin Papoose now resides in my gun safe and will be the gun of choice when I shoot Rimfire Matches up here. I paid an arm and a leg for the gun but it is as knew. I could hardly believe my luck. Off to the range in a few minutes and will report back here how she handles.

Take Care

Bob
    I bought this Marlin 70P Papoose in 1987 not long after they came out. I wasn't fond of it at first but soon found out that with quality ammo and a different firing pin it shot great. I gave it to my girlfriend- who I married soon after. After shooting turtles this past weekend, she politely asked me to remove the Kassnar 3/4" tube scope and throw it in the trash....so I threw this old Bushnell 4x on it and within 4 shots had it hitting POA at 20 yards. She and her Papoose are Keepers.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I am also of the same opinion as Outpost: I like the older guns (I'm partial to walnut stocks & blued steel).

I tend to like Mossbergs. Currently I have 3 152s & a 151. My wife also has a 152. They are all accurate. The 152 is very handy & is my favorite. They have an excellent safety & they feed anything.

My uncle had a Remington 550 & it never missed a beat & he never cleaned it. It never saw anything except .22 shorts. Many squirrels fell to that gun.

I had a 10-22s. They're good guns, but I never warmed up to it. It was stolen & I never replaced it & don't miss it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like older guns--I bought my 10-22 in 1972 But I have a chicom copy of the Browning SA-22 that has been a lot of fun. It is quite accurate so long as I am careful in tightening the lock ring on the takedown assembly.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 MKI T Rugers and a MKII std. All have shot any 22lr I have tried in them without problems but my S&W 17 does the same. I have only owned one 10/22 and after trying 5 or 6 different brands of ammo the best patterns were about 2" at 25yds. I traded the 10/22 for something and don't miss it. I also have a Rem 66 a Win 77 and an old Rem 500 series semi auto none of which are target rifles but are fine for plinking / rabbit hunting. The Win 77 will only shoot HV ammo reliably. The S&W 617 is no doubt the one gun that will shoot any ammo that will go bang. I have two favorite 22s One of the MKIs and an old Savage NRA target rifle. Neither has ever malfunctioned if the round will fire and both are accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    I like my old Mossberg 22's. 2 151k and a couple of bolt actions. The stocks are full size and being taller they are easier for me to shoot. The 151ks I paid $40 and $15. I used to stop at pawn shops and ask if they had truck guns that they wanted to get rid of. the $15 had a plugged barrel and the stock was broke in half. I also own 2 10/22's and they are fun but I would rather shoot my single shots, the Mossbergs or my CZ 452 2E-ZKM. If you could only have one 22 and can afford it the CZ is a de lite to shoot. If I could only own one gun that would be it. I have over 20 22's. They must be breeding in the gun case because I never would have bought so many.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast