WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything PBcastco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Junk .45 Brass

Yes americ brass is junk. Nothing but trouble and the junk brass bucket is where it gets to stay.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    Case walls too thick, was my experience. Besides all the hassle, it crushes your bullet diameter. Even if you "succeed" in loading it, expect poor accuracy, and leading.

If I find any, it goes to the scrap metal yard. For about $1.70/pound, lately. (Here's a link: https://www.scrapmonster.com/scrap-p...-scraps/26/1/1.)

I once acquired 1000 once-fireds which included a dozen or so Amercs. I had seen on the internet that they are only good for recycling. I don't follow advice well and I tend to only learn from mistakes.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Boolit Buddy
    I have never found any of those Amercs but I just loaded some 45acp recently and i ran into MaxxTech brass which was doing pretty much the same thing walls were collapsing like that. Recycle bucket it is.

Boolit Mold
    I still find those one in a while when I grab a handful from one of the buckets of 9mm I have as a stash. It all sux no matter the caliber...............

The only other caliber I have seen with this headstamp is 32 Auto. Not made to respectable tolerances.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill 7 View Post
    Yes americ brass is junk. Nothing but trouble and the junk brass bucket is where it gets to stay.
    My experience is that the primer pockets are out of spec too. Had primers fall out of cases as cartridges were feeding into chamber. Also found emty fired cases with no primers in them. Most of the reloaders I shoot with know this and scrap the brass. This has been know by alot of us for over 10 yrs. afish4570

We save all our bad brass, dead primers etc and take them to the scrap metal yard to trade for scrap lead.

Be sure no live primers are mixed in there...

Smilin Jack
    smilin jack

Boolit Master
    When I started reloading 45 acp, I had a batch of once fired PMC brass with off center flash holes. I scrapped the rest of the PMC brass I had. And won't reload it , if I find some

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    On another link ... Brass with the headstamp AMERC is made by American Ammunition Inc in Miami, FL. It is the worst quality brass imaginable. The flash holes are often off-center, the case diameter is out of spec, and it often splits on the first or second firing. Not only do I not pick it up, when I find it I crush the case mouth with pliers to prevent some other reloader from experiencing the horror that is AMERC brass.
    I lived the same nightmare with .44 special long ago. I thought it was me. Finally threw them all out and bought Starline. Reloaded the same batch of 500 for 20 years now.

Is Amerc brass still being made? I haven't seen any new Amerc for a long time, but I imagine some of what was made is still circulating. I'm sure I've got some that has been reloaded in my stash. I never had much trouble with it, but use a single stage press.

DG

Boolit Master
    I used A-merc brass once or twice on my Dillon. After that went through my brass and all of that brand went into the scrap bucket. And so did any of the brass with that headstamp. Lots of other shooters at our club did the same. Frank

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Is Amerc brass still being made? I haven't seen any new Amerc for a long time, but I imagine some of what was made is still circulating. I'm sure I've got some that has been reloaded in my stash. I never had much trouble with it, but use a single stage press.

DG
    according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headstamp

"A-MERC (1983-2014) American Ammunition - Miami, Florida. Manufactured brass casings for handloaders and small-batch ammo manufacturers. Went out of business in 2014 due to internet backlash concerning a drop in product quality."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Sounds like good candidates for jackets for bullet swaging!

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headstamp

"A-MERC (1983-2014) American Ammunition - Miami, Florida. Manufactured brass casings for handloaders and small-batch ammo manufacturers. Went out of business in 2014 due to internet backlash concerning a drop in product quality."
    Very interesting information, Jon. Thanks for posting.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    Sounds like good candidates for jackets for bullet swaging!
    EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Boolit Man
    The only KaBOOM I have ever had was with AMERC brass in a Kimber, scared the heck out of me but the Kimber took the pressure blowing the mag out of the bottom. The pistol would never shoot the same after that, and I could only guess that it warped the frame or ?

Boolit Master

I ran 1400 rounds of 9mm the other day on my 650.

I had three rejects. One flipped primer, one split case and one AMERC brass.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12