WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger PC Carbine with some test data

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I should add, all my rounds with boolits do chamber, they feel more snug than I prefer. I had the throats done on my Storm Lake Glock barrels and they do awesome with boolits. Planning to have the same done to my Browning Hi-Power.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Ok, some progress and challenges. Tried the carbine with 3.8 grains IMR Target/Lee 356-120-TC today, a load that my pistols do great with. Absolutely horrible, many of the rounds didn't even strike the target paper! Those that did were wandering pretty good.

Trudged back to the house and rolled up the same load with the Lee 358-125-RF, which works great in every 9mm/.38/.357 Ive ever tried it in. A dozen were sized .357, a dozen sized .360 which is what I use in the Marlin .357. Instant improvement, the .357's were shooting almost as good as the 115 grain jwords. The .360's seemed to go wider, as the the rifle seemed to be trying to go back to wandering zero, however I also noticed the forend had worked its way loose by this time. It is secured by only a single screw, guess I need to loctite it. More research is needed!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I was planning to slug the bore today but didn't have the right size sinker. I did mic some boolits though. The Lee 356-120-TC (which the carbine does not like at all) came out to .356 even. The Lee 358-125-RF and Arsenal Molds 359-130-RF both came out to .3585 or so. So, the latter two should work well in the carbine. I have read that Ruger 9mm bores tend to run large, which would make sense here. I may end up sizing all my 9mm/.38/.357 boolits to .358 for sake of simplicity, as long as all my guns chamber them.

Boolit Master

Marked as reference.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    Ferg, I size to .3585, with a Star, for all my nines.........I have six, all from different manufactures. One is a CZ Scorpion carbine.

Winelover

Thanks bro. I've already sized my most recent batch of 9mm slugs to .358, will probably continue to do so. If the rain ever stops I can get the carbine back out and try 'em.

Boolit Master

I've been using .357 for all my 9mm. The Ruger gobbles them up.
    NRA Benefactor.

Ok, making some progress with the carbine. Turns out it really likes the Lee 358-125-RF, and either .357 or .358 sizing works. With 3.8 grains IMR Target seated to 1.030 it shoots about the same as the 4.7 grains IMR Target/115 grain jacketed that I have been using. I've always found the 358-125-RF works great in longer barrels. It has a longer bearing surface than most and I fill the top crimp groove with lube so the bore gets coated well. This is makes sense, as my Marlin .357 also shoots great with this bullet. Guess I better start looking for a six cavity version!

I shot the carbine some more yesterday, and had some pretty terrible groups. The trigger is rather stiff, and I think it is pulling me off target if I don't perform a perfect squeeze. This is already difficult with arthritis in my dominant hand. Now that the weather is turning sour, I think I will drop off the carbine at the gunsmith for a trigger job.

Instead of just shooting groups why don't you blast away at some steel or multiple paper targets where you can actually get the gun hot. Maybe set up some cans and see how fast you can knock them down?

These guns take every bit of a thousand rounds to properly break in and the trigger is fine after that. They are not Target Rifles,,, they are Urban Combat Guns or Plinkers. Plinking is practice for Urban Combat. If you live near woods, go out and set up a bunch of Paper Plates behind trees like people trying to ambush you. Then see how quickly you can put holes in those plates. You can draw faces on them and call them Democrats,,, makes them easier to hit.

Point here is go out and have some fun. The gun is what it is. Enjoy it for what it is.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

i'd have to agree.

i'd hunt with mine at the distances i actually hunt but that wasn't my intention.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

I agree with both of you. The problem is, I really can't spend 1000 rounds of ammo or loading components breaking in a gun right now because I don't know when I will be able to replace them and at what cost. My gunsmith only charges $60.00 for a trigger job, less than the inflated cost of two boxes of ammo right now.

Boolit Bub
    I took factory trigger off and put Tandemkross Victory trigger to my ruger chassis model. It makes a big difference and you can do it in under ten minutes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I agree with both of you. The problem is, I really can't spend 1000 rounds of ammo or loading components breaking in a gun right now because I don't know when I will be able to replace them and at what cost. My gunsmith only charges $60.00 for a trigger job, less than the inflated cost of two boxes of ammo right now.
    i'm right there with ya.

i was thinking of the accuracy statements.

i take chrome polish and a bore snake to most rifles to simulate breaking in the bore.

i try to polish up triggers that are gritty as well.

CERTAINLY a few bucks to a competent smith is no waste.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

The trigger is not the only thing being broken in and the rest of the gun is as important as the trigger, so you're still going to have to fire lots of rounds anyway.

Now may not be the time to do all this. But you will eventually have to do it,,, so maybe reloading with cast boolits is the way to get it done in a cost effective manner. These guns run PC'd boolits very well.

What good is a trigger job going to do if you don't have enough ammo to see if it actually did anything beneficial for you.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I agree. The trigger is what it is. A mediocre trigger has never held me back. Mine was not terrible, around 5 lbs or so. I wasted a half a box of Federal FMG at 50 yards a saw 2 1/2-3" groups. Grabbed a hand full of cast loads I had for another 9mm that had a lubed PB 130 gr. hp with AA #5. Groups dropped to 1 1/2". Tried working up some cast 147 gr. bullet loads and saw the carbine preferred lighter bullets. Worked up a load using Mihec's 125 gr. PB HP, Hitec coated, with HS6. Why? I would benefit from a slower powder in a carbine length bbl. The first set of test loads showed a sub inch, 10 shot group that was sub inch at 50 yards. Further tests confirmed this load. Never looked back or worried about the trigger. I have never had one bit of leading. Usually have to clean the action every 500 rounds or so. Most pain-free gun I've ever loaded for.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

These guns take every bit of a thousand rounds to properly break in and the trigger is fine after that. .
    Only had mine out two times. Zero issues and better than expected accuracy. I did a trigger job before I took it out. Why do they need a thousand rounds to properly break in?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I had a minor issue with the trigger not resetting now and then during the first couple hundred rounds. Upped my powder charge a couple tenths and it went bye bye. By minor i mean it happened twice. I was a bit shocked that I never had any leading. Not a hint

Ok, got the carbine back from the 'smith. Trigger is way better now, about as good as this design can be. At 30 yards it is making really tight groups. They opened up quite a bit at 50 yards, but the light was fading pretty fast which kills my already mediocre marksmanship. Hopefully I can try it out again next week.

Boolit Master

I've found the same thing. I can shoot one ragged hole at 25 yards with either my Ruger PCC or my PSA. Go out to 50 yards and the groups open way up.

I really think some of it is due to the bullets dropping out of supersonic velocity.

I need to try it with some of my NOE ELCO loads. They are all subs.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast