Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger PC Carbine with some test data

Boolit Master

We shot my son's friends new PC9 with my CAC9 screwed onto it. It was quite with our 147 grain loads and had a crack as excepted with factory 124's .

We then tried my Powder springs 380 can on it. Same with both. No hitches in 100 rounds.

I would buy one but have a SBR in a Marlin Camp 9 and plenty of mags.

My son is picking up his PC9 this week as he has a G17 and many mags. He plans also to SBR the gun on a F1.

Boolit Master

If ya had a folding stock I could see a SBR but its darn fun and useful as is!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My parallel dimension self must be hitting the Powerball 'cause I'm 0 for 2 on new guns right now. I managed to try out the PC carbine this afternoon at 25 yards resting on shooting sticks. Ammo was the load that all my handguns like: Arsenal 359-130-RF sized .357 over 4 grains HP-38 1.075 OAL. At least half of the shots fired were major flyers. For example, I fired 10 shots at the bull in this photo. Four were reasonably on target. One was about 4 inches high, two were high and right around five inches and two were low to the right by the same distance. Here is a URL of the pic, I can't post pics right now:

https://opeforum.com/attachments/010...dr-jpg.276599/

Upon cleaning, I didn't see anything amiss. There was about the usual amount of powder and bullet lube fouling, no lead deposits I could see. So, maybe the barrel is a bit overbore? Ive never found a 9mm that would not shoot these bullets at least reasonably well, including Glock factory barrels. I suppose I'll try some endangered species factory ammo next, then maybe some .358 bullets.

The good news is, function was 100% and the carbine is lots of fun to shoot. The factory sights are great, same sight picture I have on most of my other long guns.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Ok that's weird, the picture came through. I really like this carbine and want to get it straightened out.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Is the takedown nut adjusted properly?

When I took my PCC to the range the first time the iron sights were dead on at 25 yards with my 9mm load of the moment.

With my current load it's a total tack driver at 25 yards.

I've dressed mine up a bit since I got it. Volquartsen trigger, a rail for the forearm, a muzzle break that pretty much eliminates any muzzle rise.

I can run a six plate rack in under 5 seconds with it.

BTW, my boolits are Hi-Tek coated and sized to .357
    NRA Benefactor.

Thanks, I will double check that. Also, I wonder if 4 grains HP-38 is too fast velocity-wise for the 16" barrel?

I rolled up two very proven loads to try in the carbine: 3.8 grains Titegroup/124 grain plated flat point/1.058 OAL and 4.1 grains Titegroup/115 grain FMJ/1.120 OAL. If it won't shoot well with these, then something is dreadfully wrong and it's going back to Ruger. Hopefully I can try them out this weekend.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Thanks, I will double check that. Also, I wonder if 4 grains HP-38 is too fast velocity-wise for the 16" barrel?
    Your post doesn't compute.

Do you have any factory ammo to shoot through the carbine?
    NRA Benefactor.

I guess what I mean is, could the increased velocity from the carbine barrel cause any weirdness. Just thinking out loud here. Yes, I have a little bit of factory ammo I can try.

Boolit Master

i think my data in the op showed 140fps increase over my g26 barrel.

so i'd say the carbine barrel velocity increase probably isn't an issue.

just guessing you understand.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

I guess what I mean is, could the increased velocity from the carbine barrel cause any weirdness. Just thinking out loud here. Yes, I have a little bit of factory ammo I can try.
    Shoot the factory ammo. See how that shoots. But first make sure that the takedown nut is good to go and make sure any optics are tight.

I've shot over 50 different loads though my PCC and have yet to find one that I would call inaccurate. The only factory that's been fired through it is 25 rounds my buddy shot through it. Everything else has been my reloads with my cast boolits. I've shot the thing so much I wore out the extractor.
    NRA Benefactor.

Ok, I tried it again after work today. The jacketed and plated slugs did as well as expected. Surprisingly, the lead bullet groups tightened up a lot. From left to right, 115 grain FMJ, 124 grain plated, 134 grain lead at 25 yards:

https://opeforum.com/attachments/0109211617-jpg.276798/

Took it out to 40 yards, and got about the same results, same bullets left to right:

https://opeforum.com/attachments/010...dr-jpg.276799/

So, it looks like the carbine might eventually get there with lead bullets. I'm wondering what happened to improve the groups with cast. Maybe a good cleaning helped it, I did redo the barrel nut as instructed in the manual. I know some guns need to have the bore broken in with jacketed bullets before they do well with cast, maybe the jacketed and plated slugs helped there. I suppose I should put more of them through it to help break it in. I'll also try the Lee 358-125-RF sized to .358.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 01-09-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Mine is a 40. But its same gun. I shoot nearly 100% cast. I have a NOE 200 WFP aa d a LEE 175 Grease grove. (TL version shoots like poo.) Both this bullets can be driven hot as ya like. (Beware some powders with HOT loads are NOT friendly in the blow back actions!) With single hole 25 yard accuracy. I cast my HP with 20:1 and my "Hard cast" harder. ALL shoot great.

About the velocity's. Std 9mm may actually see vel LOSS! But hotter ammo and of coarse +P will shot a nice velocity improvement. Bringing that 9mm up to mid level 357 Mag and solid 357 Sig/38 Super levels!!!

Its a great fun gun!

Good luck with yours

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Ok, I tried it again after work today. The jacketed and plated slugs did as well as expected. Surprisingly, the lead bullet groups tightened up a lot. From left to right, 115 grain FMJ, 124 grain plated, 134 grain lead at 25 yards:

https://opeforum.com/attachments/0109211617-jpg.276798/

Took it out to 40 yards, and got about the same results, same bullets left to right:

https://opeforum.com/attachments/010...dr-jpg.276799/

So, it looks like the carbine might eventually get there with lead bullets. I'm wondering what happened to improve the groups with cast. Maybe a good cleaning helped it, I did redo the barrel nut as instructed in the manual. I know some guns need to have the bore broken in with jacketed bullets before they do well with cast, maybe the jacketed and plated slugs helped there. I suppose I should put more of them through it to help break it in. I'll also try the Lee 358-125-RF sized to .358.
    I'll bet the barrel nut was loose.

My PCC shot lights out from the very first with cast boolits.
    NRA Benefactor.

Thanks. I did redo the barrel nut as outlined in the manual. I'm planning to have Dougguy work his magic on it too.

Boolit Master

Thanks. I did redo the barrel nut as outlined in the manual. I'm planning to have Dougguy work his magic on it too.
    Why?

If the barrel is bad let Ruger handle it. Once you modify it you're stuck with it.
    NRA Benefactor.

Well, it seems that Doug's treatment is just what you need for optimal performance with boolits. The throat on this carbine is pretty short, and I'm planning to shoot nothing but lead out of it if possible.

I've got one of the first they shipped. I shoot ONLY cast PC bullets and I've had Zero issues. It eats almost as good as my oem G17 barrel would. Things that a couple of my handguns don't like work really good in this (and for that matter my CZ scorpion also) I love mine and I wanted to get a brace for it. I couldn't find one, so I bought a folding attachment from Sig that you can screw a std AR tube into. As there is really zero kick to this, I just wanted a cheek weld. It doesn't even touch my shoulder, just cheek.
    Romeo red dot and it's a fun gun.

Boolit Master
    So how does it compare to your Scorpion?

Boolit Master

Well, it seems that Doug's treatment is just what you need for optimal performance with boolits. The throat on this carbine is pretty short, and I'm planning to shoot nothing but lead out of it if possible.
    I've shot thousands of rounds of cast boolits through my Ruger PCC. I never felt I needed the throat worked on. It will chamber any boolit that fits in the mags.

Unless you plan on shooting some weird 147+ gr boolit I wouldn't worry about it.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast