MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .40 S&W Usability for Hunting??

Boolit Master
    While at a gun show last weekend, I picked up a couple bags of Winchester 180 gr. HP factory JHP's. I've read that Longshot and/or BlueDot give highest velocities in the 40 (and also WSF was mentioned a lot).

Any anecdotal evidence with these on deer would be helpful.

Banned

ive killed hogs with 40s and 10s out to about 50 yards and hit right they die. Not much different then using something like a 41 mag or 44 special or colt level 45 colts. I only used cast though. A cast bullet with a decent metplat will do good damage and penetrate. Now all that said is the 40 a GOOD deer round? Heck no.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverhome View Post
    Never done it personally but tons are killed with 10mm auto. Shorten the distance and it should be essentially the same. Strict broadside heart lung shot should be fine. Treat it like hunting with a bow.
    Yeah, I agree, I was thinking the same thing.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

A friend of mine bought a box of factory Winchester 38-40 a few years back and it had a picture of a deer on it ( rifle velocities). I just went to Winchester’s site and now it says varmint/ predator on that same box of 180 grain jacketed soft points.

Boolit Master

Just last week, my brother and I were having lunch in the Cabela's cafeteria about an hour or so North of where I live. We had gone up there to drop dad off at the airport, and then went to Cabela's to do some shopping.

My brother was talking about his new rifle that he was in love with, a Christiansen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC that he used to take a nice whitetail buck with at over 600 yards last fall. He mentioned that his rifle was capable of retaining the 1000 ft. lbs. of energy at 800 yards or so that is considered the minimum energy level to kill a deer.

What? 1000 ft. lbs. is considered the minimum energy level to kill a whitetail deer? Yes it is.

I have no idea who came up with that number, but I Googled it and it is indeed touted as gospel. And it is obviously a bunch of bunk.

If you apply that energy level to handguns that have been used to kill humans in self defense for decades, then you would be hard pressed to find an acceptable self-defense round against 150lb humans vs. 150lb deer in any of the popular handguns in use today.

Buffalo Bore lists their 155gr .40 S&W as having 774 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle.

Their 10mm will reach 1098.

The most popular deer handgun hunting caliber, the mighty .44 Magnum, has a max energy level of 2181 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle and retains at least 1000 ft. lbs. of energy out to 250 yards.

So, yes, I think you can take deer with a .40 S&W loaded with hot Buffalo Bore ammo and at shorter distances.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Interesting all the thought on it , I have never considered hunting with my 40 S&W would think if I needed to it would do the job as I have seen less used and shot placement is always king, I shoot glock 35 those kentucky state police trade ins were a awesome buy , cheap and never used at least ones I got , I think you could do what you want with it , I like the cast hollow points in the molds I got , feed fine and that counts if a second shot is wanted , I carry a 45 colt blackhawk when out hunting , but am planning on using a milder load and a uberti next year , good luck with your hunt.

Boolit Master

Never shot a deer with my .40. Shot a lot of them with another marginal caliber. The .357 magnum. Hit the mark at bow hunting ranges and I'll bet the .40 will work just fine.
    Just food for thought for sure but a last year I shot two big woodchucks pert near 20 pounders. Both clean threw length wise. One with the .40 and 165's and one with a minor deer caliber. A 243 with a 85 gr. sp. The Glock shot woodchuck ended up as dead as it could be but the 3" front threw back hole from the lowly .243 makes one ponder.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    If hand loading, what would you recommend?

I saw mention of Hornady XTP up in earlier comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Power Pistol will get you where you want to go in the 40 Cal but it does have some flash.

If I had the distance correct i would use my M&P on deer. Just remember that distance and shot placement are critical with non traditional calibers and pass up shots that seem chancy
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I would think a .40 would do ok at about 30 yards max. Basicly average bow range. A lot of guys have killed with .45 ACP and .357 Magnum.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

As a few members have noted deer (among other things), can be killed by projectiles by almost novel means. I have no doubt someone can throw a rock hard enough to get the job done. The big question is how much time are you willing to invest to become proficient.

ive killed hogs with 40s and 10s out to about 50 yards and hit right they die. Not much different then using something like a 41 mag or 44 special or colt level 45 colts. I only used cast though. A cast bullet with a decent metplat will do good damage and penetrate. Now all that said is the 40 a GOOD deer round? Heck no.
    Plus One...we owe the game we hunt a quick death, anything short of that borders on unethical if not criminal in my book....Ruark said it best, "use enough gun!" If challenges are needed, try steel game silhouettes at 60-80, or 100 yds. Rod
    Rod

Boolit Master

I haven’t used the 40 on deer. I do have two coyotes on the 40. One dropped one yelped and ran off. Ironically that was real close and broadside but quicker shot. DRT shot was about 45-50 yards walking in to me. I HAVE taken a few with the 10mm hogs too. It works just fine. (40 would too)

As mentioned it’s something that would seriously restrict distances shorter then modern bows. Even the “big 10” is like using a bow. So inside 75 yards. But with proper ammo it’s killed our large deer every time most within steps. NEVER yet have had to track one. I cannot even say that for my Grendel or Blackout! (BOTH are also short to med range calibers by my definition)

There are better calibers. If it’s what ya got and your willing to hone your skills it will beep your freezer stocked.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    "Deer have been killed with a .22. I have a friend who killed one with a .380. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should."

Quoted for importance.

I'm a Hunter Safety Instructor. As part of my classes,, I teach Ethics. To be an ethical hunter,, one should strive for a clean, quick kill. I shoot a .40 cal in a revolver in competition. I also own a few 10mm guns,, all in revolvers. I also have a semi-auto in .40 cal. I also handgun hunt almost exclusively. As such,, I match the caliber, gun, AND ammo to the animal I'm planning on hunting. Animals can present difficult shots, and they can be harder to kill.
    So,, I ask people in my classes,,, if you are hunting,,, say whitetail deer,,, and you are not SURE you have the best gun, caliber & ammo to do a clean, quick kill,,, what will you do if a monster, record book buck walks out on you? ESPECIALLY if the angle, distance or whatever is marginal,,, will you be able to NOT shoot because of the limitations you may have?
    I follow that with a simple comment. Make sure you have enough gun to allow for human mistakes.

Yes,, deer, bear & all kinds of critters have been killed with guns or calibers not NORMALLY used. There was a case of a well known outdoorsman who was guiding some folks fishing in Ak. that had to kill a grizzly with his 9mm handgun. Even he said it was a poor decision to be carrying that gun & caliber that time. He had become complacent towards bear encounters. He was also an experienced shooter. But even he said it wouldn't happen again,, that he'd always carry a better choice after that one very close encounter that COULD have been very bad.
    Indeed!

Boolit Master
    I shoot a brick hard 200 grain cast FP at 930 fps chronoed from my Glock M27. Have not chronoed it from my Springfield XDm.
    I would assume (ha ha there's that word "assume") it would make it through a deer.

Boolit Master
    I’ve killed deer with my .40 (G22).
    It works!
    No need for heavy, or Uber hot loads.
    Negating the ones I finished that had been road hit by cars, I shot two with 155gr JHP’s. One was with a Winchester 155 Silvertip. Second with equivalent load with WSF FOR 1,200fps with a 155gr Hornady XTP. Several have been with 180gr Winchester JHP’s, one with a 180gr SXT, which is the only one recovered. It was under hide of far shoulder. One was shot with a Lee 175gr FN over enough LongShot for 1,100fps. Complete penetration.
    Shot placement is paramount. All were shot at under 50yds. The pistol isn’t accurate enough for any further. Never needed a second shot.
    The .40 ISN’T shot ‘n weak..... Just a poor mans 10mm...
    Why? It’s what I had on my hip at the time...

Boolit Master

Yea that shortnweak moniker is stupidity as many of these same folks with there wet noodle wrists and smooth baby hands also call the 40 too "snappy". Hahaha.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123