WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Fenwick Rods

Fenwick Rods

Does anybody have any experience with Fenwick Rods? I used to fish some several years ago, but lost access to the ponds. I now have a place to fish on a lake and am looking to, maybe, get a new rod. I'm thinking about Fenwick but have no experience with them, nor do I know anyone who uses them. I hoping to find some folks here that use/have used them and can tell me about their experience.

Thanks,

Edwin

At one time many years ago, Fenwick was the premium builder of offshore fishing rods. I am talking IGFA line class rods. I used to be a charter boat captain, and every boat was loaded with them. I believe that the company has been bought and sold many times since then. Nowadays, there are many companies that make quality light tackle fishing rods. I have found that the best way to find a good rod is to go to a big retailer, and try out as many as you can.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I own a couple of the Fenwick HMX series spinning rods. One is a two piece, other is a one piece. They are only a few years old. Seem to be pretty decent rods. I like the fact that they have cork, rather than synthetic handles, that most manufactures are going to.

Winelover

I don't know what they are making now. But 30 years ago they were out of my price range, and had a very solid reputation.

There are fine differences between rods, and they do effect things. Maybe you have to be a better fisherman than I am to appreciate them. These days if I can find a nice graphite/glass composite rod in 6.5 to 7.5 length for under 50$ I consider myself lucky. Go home a happy camper.

For the last 3 years I've bought almost all my fishing gear from the local pawn shop.
    Find a rear drag Shimano Reel, medium size on a 6.5' rod that feels ok, check tag, 20$, which I can get knocked down to 15$. Yeah I'll take that home, clean it, spool some cheap chinese braid on there and be happy.

Boolit Master
    My experience has only been with fly rods. I still have a couple of Fenwick rods that are thirty years old and find that they are still good fly rods. I've acquired many others since then, but they're still getting used on occasion.

Super Moderator

I have a bunch of Fenwick rods, ranging from trout spinning rods to really heavy duty saltwater rigs. All of them are very nice quality, and I didn't think they were out of line price-wise. Good stuff.

For your use in freshwater ponds and the like, my go to are ugly stiks. I have some older fenwicks I use for boat poles in saltwater / brackish river and bay. they seem a bit stiffer and more rugged. Surf rod is an older Cardinal, I picked up in Duck, NC. It's an absolute killer on blues and striped bass.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Go to Academy if you have one near you. I have a Cabela's close to my house that has a couple of guys in the fishing dept that are old pro's. They help me figure out what I need and then I usually buy it from Academy because it is a lot cheaper.

Boolit Master
    I had one years ago when I first moved down here to Alabama. It wasn't too expensive, and I remember getting it at the local K-Mart. I bought a used Ambassadeur reel from a guy in the Bass club I had joined and used that rod and reel for years. I dunno what happened to it....

Most of my rods now are high end ( but not top end ) Berkley rods.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Mold
    I have one Fenwick Fiberglass rod with a wood handle that belonged to my Dad, its 50 years old and still works fine. very soft springy, good for Flounder with a old Penn Squdder on it and 20 pound braided dacron. also have 6 Fenwick E glass Tuna spinning rods. Have had the guides rewrapped a few times and a couple of the tips broke off so they are a bit shorter than when new. the varnish is peeling off all of them and needs to be sanded and redone. maybe someone thats good at refinishing rods ont there? I'm not any good at that type of thing. the E glass is very sensitive but you need to keep low drag on it with big fish or it will snap like a Boron rod. use a quality monofilament that stretches to absorb the shock with fluorocarbon leaders and swivels to prevent line twist.

Boolit Man
    I have a Fenwick fly rod that I have owned for 40 years. I would not trade it for an Orvis.

Boolit Buddy
    it is all situational. You need to be more concerned with line & lure weigh it will pitch. Then the quality of the feel & fittings for your needs. Uncle Mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    My experience has only been with fly rods. I still have a couple of Fenwick rods that are thirty years old and find that they are still good fly rods. I've acquired many others since then, but they're still getting used on occasion.
    I forgot to add that all my Fenwick rods are graphite.