Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Sight base for OM Single Six?

Super Moderator

Sight base for OM Single Six?

I have a circa 1964 Old Model Super Single Six that was passed down from my grandfather to an uncle then to me. I'd like to mount a red dot on it for flashlighting coons and skunks out in the back yard. My old eyes have trouble seeing in the dark! I'm thinking something along the lines of a Burris Fastfire 3. My searches thus far have turned up nothing for this model. I really don't want to modify it in any way, other than just put a sight base on where the adjustable rear sight mounts. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Try Jack Weigand. I am not familiar with your particular gun, but it is where I would start. I have a couple of his mounts and they are very nice. He has a website.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Super Moderator

Thank you for the referral. I'll give it a look.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Interesting idea!

Would https://jackweigand.com/rsswms.html work? (It's for the Single Six, afraid I am not remembering what differences there are between the Single Six and the Super version. SORT OF think it's "just" a fully adjustable rear sight though?)

Only one I am seeing so far; I could do similar with a pistol for my pests problem once I move maybe, so this's interesting to look at. Could do mouse fart loads in a larger caliber, too; Hmmm.

Oops beaten to it! LOL (I open the "recent messages" page, open tabs for each new message I want to look, then get interrupted a lot when the phone rings, cat walks up to get pets, or I think of something else that needs to be done, so sometimes there's a delay - I'd say "GMTA" only not sure my mind is up to that quality today!)

Super Moderator

Yes, it's the adjustable sight version. To complicate things further, it's an "Old Model" -VS- the "New Model". I will get in touch with Weigand's and see if they can help me. I have a Fastfire 3 on a Marvel 1911 conversion, and it's the cat's meow. It won't cycle with shorts or CB longs though. I need it to be as quiet as possible, with follow up shots if needed. Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Yes, it's the adjustable sight version. To complicate things further, it's an "Old Model" -VS- the "New Model". I will get in touch with Weigand's and see if they can help me. I have a Fastfire 3 on a Marvel 1911 conversion, and it's the cat's meow. It won't cycle with shorts or CB longs though. I need it to be as quiet as possible, with follow up shots if needed. Thanks again...
    While there's a dramatic difference between the top straps of the OM or NM Single-Six and the top straps of the OM or NM Super single-Six, there's no difference between OM or NM Single-Six's top straps, or between OM or NM Super Single-Six's top strap - which, with the rear portion of the barrels (they're all identical there), is where most scope mount bases are fitted.

A good alternative, however, might be to obtain one of the newer models, that are issued with high-visibility fiber-optic sights.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Super Moderator

So, what you're saying is the Weigand base should work?

If you are unsure, I would just call on monday. Jack is very knowledgeable and a very nice man. I have a mini mount with a vortex venom on a blackhawk. I also have a no drill scope mount that fits any ruger with an adjustable rear sight.

Does your single six have drift only rear sight? If so, I can’t help. If it has a standard adjustable rear sight with elevation and drift adjustments, the rail screws into the elevation screw hole, and will work fine.

Super Moderator

I'll call him Monday. I would prefer the mini mount for sure. The Fastfire 3 is around the same size as the Venom. Mine is the standard adjustable sight model.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Sounds promising - Good!

About the time your Super Single Six was made, I owned one and had a Bushnell Phantom scope mounted on it for shooting ground squirrels. The scope base they made at the time was a thin sheet steel device that wrapped around the top strap, with mounting rails formed into the steel at the top for attaching the scope. There's very little clearance between the cylinder and the under side of the top strap, and if I remember correctly, I found it necessary to grind that section thinner to allow the cylinder to turn freely.

It wasn't an ideal setup, but it was all they had at the time for mounting a scope (there were no red dots back then) on the Single Six and Blackhawk revolvers.

Hopefully, they've come up with a better solution these days.....

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Super Moderator

Update: Weigand's had exactly what I was looking for. Their mini base is the same base dimension as the Fastfire 3, and they assured me that it would fit my model. The price was very reasonable, and they are great folks to deal with. Looking forward to getting it mounted.

Congratulations! I have never been dissappointed with Weigand anything.