Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Glen E. Fryxell Fans

Boolit Grand Master
    I have recently done A LOT of firing with the Marlin 1894CL in 25/20 WCF. All castings, I should note. The last several range trips have been blessed with the usual "therapeutic breezes" one encounters in the upper deserts of Ridgecrest, so paper results are largely a waste of time. But since wind is ever-present, shooting in those conditions can be a good practice regimen--and there are an assortment of iron critters to home one's skills on at the local venue.

One noteworthy item I gathered--#257312 really whacks the iron coyote silhouette at 200 yards when prompted by either 10.7 or 12.0 grains of AA-1680. Holding on the critter's "nose" and about 3" high, both loads would hit right at the shoulder at 200 yards in stiff L-to-R crosswinds, and I could hit there 10-for-10 shots easily with the Lyman aperture sight. I was happy with the targeting, for sure--but the WHACK the boolit struck with was eye-opening.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    the WHACK the boolit struck with was eye-opening.
    Al, I really need to get you to a Silhouette match.

That isn't a "WHACK", that Al, when the firing line is full of people hitting those steel targets . . . is music.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Glen writes extremely well and when it comes to cast bullets is THE guy. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting his book on cast bullets. Until then, the LASC web site holds his articles (and my interest). Dale53
    Dale,

I have great news for you and me and everyone else that has been chomping at the bit for this book for several years. Soon.

I have learned right from the horses mouth (Get it? Chomping at the bit ) that the book will be available soon. I can't tell you more than that right now but trust me . . . It is coming and it's not to far off now.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Dale,

I have great news for you and me and everyone else that has been chomping at the bit for this book for several years. Soon.

I have learned right from the horses mouth (Get it? Chomping at the bit ) that the book will be available soon. I can't tell you more than that right now but trust me . . . It is coming and it's not to far off now.

Rick
    That IS good news! I am looking forward to it~!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Dale,

Rick

Hopefully, in time for Christmas?
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

YES! It's been along wait. Hopefully we will have signed copies available.
    Last edited by square butte; 10-28-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Anybody have any "up to date" news on Glen's book?

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    For me, Mr. Fryxell’s articles have been great entertainment and very informative. Mr. Fryxell has provided me with a much needed escape from the day to day grind, while at the same time he’s taught me quite a bit about cast boolit shooting. He’s also reminded how special it is to get out doors with good friends. Thank you very much for the articles. I can’t wait to get home to take my son hunting. By the way, I’m pretty much convinced now that I want a Marlin lever gun in either .44 Mag or .444 Marlin.

Boolit Buddy
    Double post... internets acting up... sorry.

By the way, Mr. Fryxell, if you happen to swing by here, what is the molly/bee's wax lube you use. We have greese at work called; grease,molybdenum disulfide (GMD). Same thing?
    Last edited by John 242; 02-02-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Double post.

Thanks for the kind words John. I haven't made it around here for a while (Rick tipped me off to your post; a dear friend of mine died recently and I've been busy helping the family deal with his estate).

Take your son hunting and savor the experience, whether you shoot anything or not.

I suspect that you will be happy with either the .44 Mag or .444 Marlin levergun, they are both great guns, and serve the hunter well.

I make my own bullet lube, using equal parts (by weight) of beeswax and Stay-Pruf Extreme Pressure Moly-Graf Grease. Other moly greases might also work well, but I have no experience with them.
    Glen

Boolit Buddy
    I will do that Sir, thank you.
    I'm not too good with words, so I'll simply say that I hope that all works out smoothly for your friends family and that I am sorry for your loss.

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to come here and respond to my post. Thank you.
    Take care Mr. Fryxell. I hope to hear from you in the future.

John

Boolit Master
    MR. Fryxell
    could just compile all those articles into a book.
    i'd buy it.

it would make a fat book!
    but i'd buy it anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners

Many of you have heard that Glen Fryxell has been writing a full length book on bullet casting, most of those that have heard this have been eagerly waiting for it.

The wait is over, the book is out and it is outstanding. The foreword is by John Taffin and says it all about this book.

Glen decided not to publish in a paper book but instead has published the book on the LASC web site.

From Ingot to Target:
    A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners

I'm sure you'll enjoy Glen's writing as much as I did.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

I want to thank Rick for the many long hours he put in getting things formatted, pictures sized, the lay-out just right, etc. He put in a lot of work to make this happen. Thank you Rick!
    Glen

Boolit Grand Master

You out did yourself with this book Glen, it wasn't work, it was a pleasure.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I have read more than half of this book and it will be a welcome addition to my "library". It needs to be on the "shelf" of every bullet caster worthy of the name.

I would personally like to thank both Glen and Rick for the opportunity to read and have this book available. I will be referring to this book until they plant me, no doubt!

It is not only technically correct but a REALLY good read for any outdoorsman and hunter. It just doesn't get any better!

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    Glen, Rick, you just made my day. Thank you for your hard work and effort and the willingness to publish it online. A hardy thank you!!!!!

Oh, Glen, it looks like we are getting ready to hire a real basketball coach. Maybe we will actually be competitive next year.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for hosting and linking this Rick and all your work Glen.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners ----- Just excellent, thank you Glen, very well written and thank you for making it available on line.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master

Glen and Rick
    What a book and most of all I wish I could sit and talk with Mr Taffin since he lives in my town, something I never knew until I read his forward to your excellent book.
    Thanks to you both for writing and putting it here for us to read and learn from.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast