Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Glen E. Fryxell Fans

Rick -- I understand your dissappointment, but trust me what you experienced is not typical for a cast HP at 1300 fps. You saw what happened with my hog -- that was also a cast HP at 1320 fps, and that is pretty much exactly what I've seen every time. I don't know what happened with yours, but that is not representative of what that cast HP will normally do.
    Glen

Boolit Buddy

More Kudos to Glen!

Let me add my extreme compliments to Glen for his fine work! It is not often we encounter someone so experienced, informed, and active in our field of endeavor that is willing to share that knowledge with the masses- I always look forward to reading Glen's writings, knowing that every word is researched, experienced, and absolutely factual.
    No advertising hype here! Glen Fryxell is the real thing, and we are better informed and encouraged because of his efforts!

Thank you Glen- I take my hat off to YOU!

358wcf

Rick I am still scratchin my head as well and your experience has given me some food for thought.
    Bones on a hog are pretty thick and pretty hard. I have no exact mix on the alloy that I use. It is mostly half wheelweights and half range lead with enough tin in the form of lead free solder for fill out.
    Thanks Rick for getting this info on the forum

I would also Like to compliment Glen on his writing style and his very informative articles.
    Last edited by Leadforbrains; 06-11-2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Lead,

Yep, been scratching my head since we skinned her. Pretty doubtful a bad bullet slipped by me. I loaded 30 rounds to run over the chrono, group and set the sights at 50 yards. I used 20 for this and the last 10 went hunting. All of these bullets were under plus or minus .5 gr., all charges weighed. Glen thinks it’s the alloy and while anything's possible I'm pretty careful about separating weights. The alloy is clip-on weights plus 3% pure bar tin, air cooled, BHN 12. I set a couple of these bullets on a 1" steel plate and gave them all I had with a short handled 5 pound sledge hammer. Shortened it by around 65% without a single crack or split in them, just squished it flat.

I shot her three times with a 280gr. HP at 1320 fps; first shot in the ribs right behind the shoulder, next two were in the neck. Ok, I was aiming for the head but an off-hand shot at a trotting pig's head at 40 yards and both shots went into the neck, these didn't exit either. Fourth shot was with a 310 Gr SWC PB at 1300 fps from 8-10 feet into the top of the head.

Still scratching my head and it pretty well ended the thought of my hunting with cast HP in a handgun.

Rick
    Rick, I hope you don't give up on Cast HP's so quickly . One experience doesn't mean that they won't work. They have been working for me for a long time, I have had to shoot animals several times with J condoms also, when I thought they should have expired sooner. Nothing in this game is "Certain"
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 358wcf View Post
    Let me add my extreme compliments to Glen for his fine work! It is not often we encounter someone so experienced, informed, and active in our field of endeavor that is willing to share that knowledge with the masses- I always look forward to reading Glen's writings, knowing that every word is researched, experienced, and absolutely factual.
    No advertising hype here! Glen Fryxell is the real thing, and we are better informed and encouraged because of his efforts!

Thank you Glen- I take my hat off to YOU! 358wcf
    I couldn't agree more, he's one of the best writers around and after spending a couple of days hunting with him I'd like to add that he's also a right nice feller.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    I couldn't agree more, he's one of the best writers around and after spending a couple of days hunting with him I'd like to add that he's also a right nice feller.

Rick
    I bet he is and I love reading his works. Have gotten a lot of good information from his writings. This man has a wealth of knowledge that he freely shares with the brotherhood. Wish there were more like him. And there are but few and far between.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Thank you Gentlemen! Rick is a right fine gent himself.
    Glen

Boolit Grand Master

An index of 55 Glen E. Fryxell articles now,

I just finished posting Glen's newest article: "The Himmelwright Wadcutters" written for the lasc.us web site.

Link to the entire index . . . The largest index of Glen E. Fryxell articles on the internet

Enjoy . . .

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 12-22-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: double word removed
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Glen is great!!!!!

He is a wealth of info, and the history lessons are an added pleasure.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

More from Glen, 57 articles and counting. This one is on the 30-40 Krag with cast boolits.

Cast bullets in the .30-40 Krag

The complete lasc.us index to Glen's articles The most complete on the net.

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 05-21-2010 at 02:06 AM.

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Rick:

Thank you for the update !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

Glen had Two hunting trips this spring. Two! Oh well, maybe next year for me.

Here's the article combining both spring hunts,

The Rites of Spring

Now 58 of Glen's articles.

Two hunts, some people really have it made . . .

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 05-22-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Change in the file name for the link

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    HI,
    THANK YOU CBRICK & GLEN. As always enjoyable & informative.

Boolit Grand Master

I recieved two new articles from Glen tonight. Here's an article from Glen on Erik Ohlen's Hollow Point Bullet Mold Service new Inset bar conversion HP Molds.

High capacity hollow point bullet moulds: by Glen Fryxell

The second article isn't yet published on the web site but it should be by tomorrow. It's another great article primarily on Miha Prevec's HP molds. I'll post the link as soon as possible.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Here's the second article on MP Molds:

A New Source for Hollow Point Bullet Moulds

Now an index of 60 Glen E. Fryxell articles @ The Articles of Glen E. Fryxell

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 08-13-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Typo

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

cbrick;
    Thanks for the link to Glen's new article on MP Moulds.

It is full of superlatives for MiHec's moulds but is NOT overstated. I agree 100% and the article has excellent suggestions on bullet metal for hollow point mould, etc.

If any of you are interested in a MiHec four cavity BRASS mould for the RCBS clone 45-270-SAA (in solid form), then sign up here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=89429

This mould will be a terrific companion mould to the two cavity hollow point mould and will give much greater production.

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

Cast bullets in the .25-20 Winchester

A new article from Glen written for LASC, a nice mixture of history on the winchester .25-20 cartridge, the Remington Model 25, molds from the period and load data for this old cartridge.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Rick--

Many thanks for posting the most recent article by Glen Fryxell (25-20 WCF)--and to Glen himself for writing it!

My own early indications for AA-1680 powder are also very positive in this caliber. Lymans #257420 and #257312 have both been very good for me in a Marlin 1894CL. There is also a Marlin Model 27-S that is a shootable project gun at this point, but not quite field-ready.

I am currently playing with the RCBS-85-CB also. Those IMR-4227 loads will be the next dosing I try, and will include the use of Rem #6-1/2 primers to see if they can reduce the flyers thrown by small rifle primers and the vertical stringing and uneven reports occurring with small pistol caps.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Glen is real awesome,I like his articles alot.
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Grand Master

Glen writes extremely well and when it comes to cast bullets is THE guy. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting his book on cast bullets. Until then, the LASC web site holds his articles (and my interest).

As Al is aware of, I have long been a fan of the 25/20 (ever since the Marlin 1894CL hit the market). I wanted both a performance load and an edible small game load. I found my small game load with 4.0 grs of Unique (I haven't chronographed that one but it sure does work in the field) and the Lyman 257420 GC cast bullet.

My performance load is 14.5 grs of RL-7. This is a compressed load and is only for the Marlin 1894 CL or other STRONG rifles. I have chronographed this load behind the 257420 cast bullet at just under 2200 fps.

The small game load is a SUPERIOR squirrel load. I always try for head shots on squirrels. Sometimes, however, they won't give you a head shot. Then a 25/20 through the body (just behind the shoulder) does not damage meat but absolutely brings them out of the tree DOA. It is FAR better than the .22 Rimfire in that regard.

ln my view, the Marlin Lever action (modern one) is nearly the ideal platform for this cartridge. Their are definitely better varmint guns out there (.221 {I have a Ruger #3}, .222, .223, 22-250, etc. However, for edible small game the 25/20 is peerless.

Some of the most sporting hunting available ANYWHERE is squirrel hunting with the 25/20. If you are willing to stalk, an eastern wood chuck taken with a 25/20 can also be most sporting. Of course, for the wood chuck a hollow point cast bullet is the "trick" way to go.

Dale53

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast