Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Beatup Mossberg 500E still shoots well

Beatup Mossberg 500E still shoots well

A friend is letting me use his MEC 600 in 410 to help out in my 410 slug load workups. I thought it would be fun to load some shot and buckshot and learn how to fold crimp. Not owning a 410 smoothbore was a problem that i quickly solved by hitting "buy it now".

A week later a well worn Mossberg 500E with 26" fixed full choke arrived. I cleaned and oiled it i then loaded 3" Fio hulls with an old win wad, 5/8 oz of 6-shot and 16g I4227. I then verified a good pattern to 35 yards.

I did a little walking on my friend's farm this afternoon and brought these two home. One shot at about 25 yards the other shot half that. Watched a young buck tearing up a bean field for 30 minutes too. It was a fine walk in the woods.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0927181831_1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	227922
    BB

Boolit Grand Master
    .410 pump...………… nice. what a perfect way to spend a little time.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 500E that I bought new in 1979 at K-Mart. As I remember it cost $80.00.I had the choke opened to skeet. A nice but plain Walnut stock and a slick action. If You want to give some rich Guys fit's show up at the skeet field and shoot 23x25 with the Mossy and they are working hard to break 22 with a high end 12 ga. Enjoy.

Sounds like a fun day BB. Nice you have a walking around 410 now to join your mega 410. Gp

Boolit Master

Nice old pump. I have been looking for a "new" one. It seems my .410 has been confiscated by my grandson. I miss playing around with .410, but, he is now taking hunter safety, so if I take him out he might let me borrow his. I need to be careful as he is now checking out my 20ga guns.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

That's how I got started with shotguns. My Grandparents lived in a very rural area and at a very young age I was trusted to wander about with the 410 or 22 rifle. I was pretty hard on the starling population. I'm 68 years old now and Grandpa's been gone forty years now but that worn out old Winchester single shot 410 is still in my safe. Gp