RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: ok i am still learning

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009

Question ok i am still learning

where does lead come from or how is it made?

chewie

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Several sources for lead.

Galena is lead bearing ore. Galena is a square to rectangular shaped crystal.

Lead is a by-product of silver mining/refining.

It is also a by/co-product of zinc mining/refining.

Also, it is depleted Uranium, 0% radioactivity left.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master

Now, thanks to the tree huggers, most lead is from recycled sources and I imagine very little is mined anymore but it's out there. Illinois as well as I recall has huge deposits.

No matter what the EPA does, lead will be around for all of our lifetime. Us casters just have to get innovative about reclaiming it before the recyclers get to it./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Banned

that's easy, lead comes from the tire shop...

Boolit Grand Master

I thought they extracted it from chinese toys!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    High school chemistry class stuff.

Lead is a chemical Element, just as are Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Silver, Gold, Mercury, Tin, Antimony, Sulfur, Iron, Aluminum, Carbon, and a near hundred others. A chemical element is something that can't be broken down into smaller parts that have distinct characteristics. An element's atoms are unique. All atoms in a theoretical pure lead ingot are identical. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_element

Compounds are chemical combinations of elements, such as H2O (water, which is 2 Hydrogen atoms (H2) and one Oxygen atom (O)) or H2SO4 (Sulfuric Acid, 2 Hydrogen, 1 Sulfur and 4 Oxygen) or CO2 (Carbon Dioxide, 1 Carbon and 2 Oxygen). The atoms of the different elements in the compound are linked together.

A Mixture is a physical combination of elements and/or compounds, such as Black Powder, which consists of 75% potassium nitrate (KNO3, a compound, 1 Potassium (K), 1 Nitrogen (N) and 3 Oxygen (O3)), 15% softwood charcoal (carbon, an element), and 10% sulfur, another element. These are not chemically combined, just physically mixed, as in stirring them together in a container.

See Wikipedia for more information.

Bottom line is, lead is a basic substance, an element. It is not "made" from anything, in other words, you don't mix a bunch of stuff together to create it. It is, however, extracted from lead ore. Again, see Wiki for more info.

Regards, and I hope this helps,

Stew
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 09-27-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009

wow

it is cool reading the replies,,,,,,,,but alot of this is WAY over my head. but i guess i am learning more each day and with every post.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

You will get an education here if you want one, sometimes even if you don't.

This site is not geared to turn away the new or the old, we welcome everyone and figure if you are here to learn, you will, and if you are educated in the field, you can share your experiences.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Banned

If you believe the tree huggers you can walk the edges of roads with a lead magnet and find a million tons!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Chewie, go to http://www.castpics.net/

Look in the articles section, under "Where to find lead" It is a piece I put together for the page some time ago.

Check out the other articles and sections there. Very infomative site.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Campers,
    I belong to a refineing forum also.
    Being a jeweler, I accumulate scrap, both karat and plated and gold filled.
    My preference, when I make a piece, is to provide the most comprehensive, finite, finished product possible.
    I don't want to blow my own horn, as I have a vast amount of terrain to yet travel, however, if I asked a question such as What is Lead? Where do I get it? How do I work with it? What is it made of?, I would get smug slapped.
    I just did such a thing.
    Where this thread does not to me represent a stupid question, on every issue I have tried to open a door on, I get smug slapped.
    I seriously respect this forum. I come to it every chance I get. Questions get answered! I have almost never seen sniping on a question.
    I have to date, almost 5 gallons of Aqua Regia with perhaps 3/4 ounce of 9995 gold in it. I tried to find out how to drop the gold from the solution. It took me an act of congress to get any answers at all.
    A simple thing like What is Lead, results in comprehensive answers, references. I applaud us all. There are people on this forum who have reached levels of proficiency I have only dreamed about. When they pitch in and help, they help.
    We got some good people here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Now, thanks to the tree huggers, most lead is from recycled sources and I imagine very little is mined anymore but it's out there. Illinois as well as I recall has huge deposits.

No matter what the EPA does, lead will be around for all of our lifetime. Us casters just have to get innovative about reclaiming it before the recyclers get to it./beagle
    Yep Galena, Illinois was a long time producer... The French were known to "Stop by" and trade with our red predecessors going way back into the early 1700´s. It´s no wonder there were several shot shell factories nearby.