Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 35 whelen carbine canon is done!

Banned

im not a big 760 fan. My brother in law swears by them and owns 4. that said ive shot a few that made me shake my head because they would shoot right along side any bolt gun. That green laminate short barrel one you made up there would catch even my attention if it was on a used gun rack. Especially in a cool caliber like yours. I still remember one day at camp. My brother in law showed up with his 270 and I dislike 270s in general even more then 760/742s. I had my 240 wby on the bench and he was watching me shoot. Walked down to the target after shooting 5 shots and was pretty proud of my gun. He isn't much of a shooter and asked me if id check the zero on his 760. He loaded 3 130 rem corelocks in the gun and I shot all three and walked up to see two touching and one about 3/4s of an inch out. Told him to put it away before the the magician came back and took the spell off of it. Once shot an 06 742 with duct tape around the forend and hadn't been cleaned in 20 years that shot like that too.

Boolit Mold
    looks really nice, I always wanted one

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Figured I’d give an update...I only tried the hornady super performance ammo in it so far. I Basically sighted it in for deer hunting last year and never did pull the trigger. I shot it maybe 10 times total so far to sight it and load test it. I tried one three shot group at 100 yards when sighting it in and it shot a hair over MOA. I’d say about a 1.4” group if I had to guess. I wasn’t expecting miracles with the Hornady super performance ammo. I’ve tried several types of hornady factory loaded rounds throughout the years in several of my guns and every single time they have never grouped worth a darn. Any Hornady bullet I’ve always tried seem very finicky even with my hand loaded rounds compared to any other brand bullet for some reason. It takes ALOT of ladder testing to get one or two loads using any hornady bullet to group to my standards. I did get my group buy 200 grain hollowpoint MP mold and I have yet to brake it in. Once bow hunting gets over here maybe I’ll finally get a chance to cast some up and try it along with CW’s awesome looking PCd boolits he sent me. I would assume with the twist rate (I believe it’s a 1in 12) my best accuracy is going to be at velocities 2400 fps and under?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-04-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Boolit Master

Hope ya enjoy them!

I haven’t had my Whalen out in a while. But did have my 760/35 Remnout shooting 210g RCBS 358-200 bullets.

Been watching or a Whelen 7600 for a while.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I slugged it today. It was .358” to .385 & 1/2” in most spots. I slugged both my 35 Remington 7600 and marlin 336 as well and they were .357”. Probably explains my my Whelen didn’t shoot as tight as what I thought it would with the factory Hornady rounds as it was larger in diameter than I expected.

Boolit Master

My 35 Rems all tend to like a .359 cast better than a .360. Always surprised me cause usually smaller is temperamental but larger is better. My Whelen and Norma prefer .360 cast.

Did I send you any 358009’s?

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I’ll have to dig. I just honed my die out to .360”. I followed this video...

https://youtu.be/IEa2jeV-BKs

Is it ok to use sizer on my 35 Rems booots as it is .003” over? I thought that was the max you want to go over bore diameter if I remember. I’ve always went .001” on everything in the past with great accuracy.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-04-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Big fan of the Rem. pump action rifles here and the fact that some people can not stand them is good because if everybody loved them they would be a bugger to buy used!

You combine the fast handling of a pump and the dynamite performance of the 35 Whelen and you have one “mad bear stompin’ Son of a gun”

Hope you have a ball with your carbine!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I finally got a chance to test out some reloads today after all this time! Lol...to many guns and not enough time. I still haven’t ran cast through it but I tried some 180 grain Speer hot Cores with a load that’s about 1 1/2 grains over my load book but still under SAMMI max pressure. If you’ve seen some of my other posts I had trouble with the gun feeding and cycling ammunition so I just got it back from Remington with a new barrel and magazine. I loaded up a ladder test of five different three shot loads using H322 powder to try. Here’s a three shot 100 yard group with 59.5 grains of H322...

With the right load it’s a tac driver! The comment above that said some 7600’s will shoot as tight as bolt guns...this one shoots better. ^^^^. All I can tell you is after shooting three rounds out of it the barrel heats up almost as fast and as hot as my 300 ultra mag. I would assume my 180 grain load will be equivalent in velocity(rated at 2920 FPS in a 24” barrel) to the 200 grain hornady super performance ammo. I’ll have to run them through my chronograph with the shorter barrel to check actual velocity. All I know is it belts a lot more than my 30-06 pump. It’s gonna knock the snot of my deer this year!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-02-2020 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Nice, nice, nice!! Would love to see a 7600 in .35 Remington.

You just did ^^^^^. The above gun is a 35 Remington 7600 Special run Carbine I bought new around 05’. I set it up for my dad. It has a leupold vx11 2x7 and see through rings. I used it last season to take the deer in the photo.

Boolit Mold
    I hate to wake up an old thread as a new member, but I think our rifles are related. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20210422_014507.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	281728
    I bought mine off of Gunbroker in 2014. All I know is it's a .35 Whelen, 18.75" barrel, and the factory load it likes is Nosler Custom 225g. If yours is anything like mine, it's picky on what it shoots well, but when you find what it likes, it shoots very well.

Well I can tell you mine got sent back into Remington because it wouldn’t feed and it wasn’t very accurate as posted above. I found out what the problem was a few days ago…and I can’t believe it shot a group like it did above with the issue. When I sent it into Remington I asked them to replace the action slide tube that holds the barrel in place. The tube was all scratched up from a bur in the pump housing when I bought it brand new. I tried to remove the slide tube and couldn’t budge it. I asked Remington to replace it. Remington must have decided to loosen it without telling me and didn’t replace it in the process. I went to put a new leupold 2-8 vx3i scope on it to replace the defective Nikon that I am sure now there was nothing wrong with… because it was the barrel that was literally loose and flopping around. Remington backed the threads out almost 2 full turns. I can’t believe I didn’t catch it when shooting! I took everything apart and inspected it. I didn’t see any damage so I screwed it back down. I’ll have to take it out and retest for groups and get it sighted in during the next couple days. Remington did send back a test target using their factory 200 grain ammo. It was 100 yard group with two bullets touching and want to hear outside the group. I would say it was 3/4’s of an inch at the most. I would like to know how they shot it like that with a loose barrel??? They also told me they were sending me a replacement magazine in another slide tube which I’ll never see.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-14-2021 at 05:33 AM.

Boolit Master
    You should get a bear permit this fall.

I’ve had two. The first was an Illinois State Penitentary factory stamped .308 and the second was a ribbed forend 30-06. They both shot very well and I miss them, but I’m a bolt action guy at heart. I’ve always thought that one in 7x57 or 8x57 would be high on the cool factor.

I like a .35 myself - once upon a time (decades before Jes Reboring went into business), I had the late P.O. Ackley re-bore/re-chamber a .243 for the .358 Win (P.O. did a great job).
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12