RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: H&S Powrgear press

H&S Powrgear press

I posted about this once before when I first heard of it, but it's now in my possession and I thought others may find it interesting. It's an H&S Powrgear press. Pressman told me that five were made and I guess this is the second that seems to have survived. I'm not sure when it was made. It's made of aluminum and it works very well. This one is set up for 38 Special. The fourth hole on the turret is for a Lyman 55 powder measure. The old primers end up in the drawer on the base. I'm not convinced that it's the strongest set up in the world, so after a use or three it will probably remain a collectable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails h&s1.jpg   h&s2.jpg   h&s3.jpg   h&s4.jpg  

Very cool...never saw one before!
    If it'll make good .38's why not restore it, paint it like it first came out and use it as a dedicated press?
    I set up a Green Machine just for the .38S. FWC & it's a gem, don't regret it at all & it is a kick in the pants to use.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Cool, I never seen one of these either, GREAT FIND

Interesting find. Is the handle a sort of gear drive for the ram? Head go down or shell go up?

Thanks guys. I may actually use it for a dedicated 38 press, I just have to decide if I’m afraid of breaking it. I don’t figure there are many parts out there! The handle turns and raises the ram.

Boolit Master

Yes, very interesting press. Congrats on finding it. I love the old gear. james

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Please do give us a walk through when you try it out, very very cool indeed!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned
    Good, I am glad you got it. Your boss man got greedy with me and I had to pass.
    It's an interesting design and appealing. Looks to me to plenty strong enough for 38's.
    How many shell holders do you have? Echo and Herter's can be used if needed.

When you get it cleaned up we may have to talk, I am curious about what numbers are on the various parts.

Ken

Will do. Just the one shell holder. Pressman, I have a pretty big pile of stuff to clean up, but when I’m caught up I’ll get with you and give you all the info I can.

Also, do you know when this was made?

Boolit Mold

I just acquired one from my uncle !

Quote Originally Posted by hendere View Post
    I posted about this once before when I first heard of it, but it's now in my possession and I thought others may find it interesting. It's an H&S Powrgear press. Pressman told me that five were made and I guess this is the second that seems to have survived. I'm not sure when it was made. It's made of aluminum and it works very well. This one is set up for 38 Special. The fourth hole on the turret is for a Lyman 55 powder measure. The old primers end up in the drawer on the base. I'm not convinced that it's the strongest set up in the world, so after a use or three it will probably remain a collectable.
    This one is exactly like it accept it's green, about the same color as the old RCBS equipment . Two shell holders 1 fit 45acp, 308, 30-06 .

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211005_144202.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	290114

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211005_144238.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	290115

Boolit Grand Master
    I still think this press looks like the love child between a turret press and a tire changing machine.

The strange thing is, being made of aluminum it would depend on the strength derived from the design to make up for any shortcomings from materials used.

Nevertheless, it’s an interesting machine and your getting it adds to our knowledge base.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"