Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning mix for ultrasonic cleaner?

Boolit Master

Cleaning mix for ultrasonic cleaner?

I finally bought a Lyman ultrasonic cleaner, primarily for cleaning parts, my .22 suppressor, the "new" pistol that apparently wasn't cleaned since it was made in 1922, and so on.

I've seen the various solutions people use for cleaning brass, but I haven't seen one for cleaning metal parts. (I don't think the water plus a few drops of detergent plus some lemon juice is the best bet for cleaning parts.)

Does anyone have a pet concoction?

Thank you,
    Richard

Boolit Master
    50/50 water and simple green works well for cleaning parts or your wifes jewelry in a ultrasonic

I've used Dawn dish washing liquid and Lemi-shine in mine for brass and metal parts. More Dawn than Lemi-shine.

Boolit Master

^^ + 1 ^^ What RKG said.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I thought the Dawn and Lemi-Shine was for brass cases only. Shall give that mix and the Simple Green mix a try (as soon as I can get to the store, that is).

Many thanks for the recommendations.

Cheers,
    Richard

Boolit Buddy

I use the Simple Green mix for my stainless Ruger Old Army cylinders. Works real well. I wish I had a bigger ultrasonic cleaner, I'd put the whole gun into it.

Boolit Buddy
    Well now ,,Valley-Shooter,, I also wanted a bigger & better sonic cleaner ,,, soooo ,, I'm fix'n to use my old " Dr. Scholes " foot massager w/ the water agitator ( sort of a whirl pool ) , the water will be swirling the solution ( your personal mix ) and vibrating at the same time . That sucker will hold a lot of parts & brass . Think on it !!!.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I've used Dawn dish washing liquid and Lemi-shine in mine for brass and metal parts. More Dawn than Lemi-shine.
    Is this mix diluted with water? Also am assuming any of these mixes need to be rinsed off and the parts oiled.

Thank you,
    Richard

Boolit Buddy
    1. 50-50 warm to hot simple green is good for anything, but don't leave rifle brass soaking for days.
    2. Caustic soda, NaOh,=Draino. warm to hot with water. Cleans off carbon and grease. Use mild solution for aluminum, wash thoroughly with water and/ or neutralize with vinegar.
    3. Swimming pool acid solution for removing rust, neutralize with water and or baking soda. Eats iron steel and stainless so don't over soak.
    4. Spray oven cleaner. same as caustic solution.
    5. Purple engine cleaner from home depot. Caustic solution. Same as draino and water,but 10x more expensive.
    6. NRA formula. Vinegar+salt+liquid dish soap.
    7. Acetone or laquer thinner or gasoline, diesel fuel, transmission fluid. Soak parts, Sonic cleaning machine not needed.
    I don't know how these effect gun bluing.

The dawn and lemi-shine, just a small squirt of dawn and a sprinkle of the lemi-shine. Just enough to make small suds and maybe a 1/2teaspoon of the LS.I fill my Lyman to the line with hot tap water (we're on a well) and then turn the heater on and let it sit.

Boolit Master

I pass on simple green for any aluminum products it will eat them. On steel it works great with hot water.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I pass on simple green for any aluminum products it will eat them. On steel it works great with hot water.
    I'll remember that. Thank you.

Richard

Boolit Master
    Update

Using just Simple Green and water (hadn't found Lemi-Shine yet), I ran a recently inherited Ortgies .32 ACP pistol through the cleaner. I don't think the poor pistol had really been cleaned since it was made circa 1922, and it had spent at least 50 years being tossed into various drawers. When the pistol assemblies came out, they were nice and clean, and previously non-movable parts moved.

I then tossed in a bolt carrier assembly I had just purchased (as part of an upper assembly). Again, this was a part that had not seen regular cleaning. When the cleaning ended, the solution was almost black. Impressive. With the exception of a few spots of thoroughly burned-on carbon that scraped off easily, the assembly was squeeky clean.

So far, I feel the ultrasonic cleaner is one of my better purchases.

Cheers,
    Richard

Boolit Master
    citric acid/lemon juice and a squirt of wash up liquid

Like above I use Dawn, Lemi-shine and hot water in my HF ultrasonic cleaner and it works great.

Boolit Buddy
    You can also add a shot of sudsy ammonia to the solution. Use it outdoors or with really good ventilation as it will out gas ammonia. The ammonia will help with removing oily/greasy dirt. If you get the pH too high or too low it will etch the tank very quickly and you will get early tank failure. If you have to use something very acid or basic go buy one of the cheap HF Chinese US units. Use it till it dies then toss. I would say 90+% of your cleaning needs can be done with just water and Simple Green, Dawn or any other good dish washing detergent. Unless the aluminum parts have a really good anodizing on them ultrasonics WILL etch the parts. There are some cleaning chemicals that are suppose to help prevent that, but I haven't tried them. A good name brand ultrasonic with proper care, mainly clean after use and don't run the ultrasonic if you are not cleaning anything, will last 5 - 6 years of everyday use. Like anything else YMMV. If you rinse your parts in very hot/boiling water they will flash dry. If you get a food service steam table pan that will fit in your unit, adjust the soap and water level so that the second tank is in contact with the solution but not overflowing, you can oil the parts in your ultrasonic cleaner. Use a good light weight gun oil and 3-5 minutes then let drain. If you use Breakfree CLP you will drive off the solvent and clump the Teflon particles together. Ultrasonic repair is my day job so if you have questions PM me and I will be glad to help in anyway that I can.

Boolit Master
    I have used Super Clean,Purple Power,and am currently using Simple Green with water.I only use the ultra sonic cleaner for gun parts.All of the cleaners worked well but I'll probably stay with Simple Green since it's harmless to bare hands.

Boolit Master
    Doesn't Hornady and Lyman make a solution specifically for cleaning gun parts?
    [

I use water and simple green but not 50/50, that's an awful waste of simple green, 2 or 3 ounces per quart of water works just fine.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

On a different thread a guy used Lemishine with Simple Green to clean a Walther he picked up at a gun show.
    Remember that Lemishine is citric acid. This solution stripped the bluing off his pistol.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast