Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Chiappa Spencer carbine .45 Colt

Boolit Master

Chiappa Spencer carbine .45 Colt

I have always had a liking for the Spencer, ever since I was a teenager and first saw Unforgiven, and then when I saw my first real Spencer up close when I was 18-19 years old. Of course, the real Spencers are not only expensive, but the ammo doesn't exist. Has anyone ever played around with one of the Chiappa or Armi-Sport Spencer carbines that are made now? I would prefer .45 Colt but the .44-40 version is certainly something I wouldn't pass up.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    I have always had a liking for the Spencer, ever since I was a teenager and first saw Unforgiven, and then when I saw my first real Spencer up close when I was 18-19 years old. Of course, the real Spencers are not only expensive, but the ammo doesn't exist. Has anyone ever played around with one of the Chiappa or Armi-Sport Spencer carbines that are made now? I would prefer .45 Colt but the .44-40 version is certainly something I wouldn't pass up.
    David
    my son just bought a Chappy 45 colt spencer ----getting lots of blow by with BP loads in it - they put a 1:16 twist on the 45 - he only has shot 200grain boolits so far - my thinking it needs at least a 250 grain for that twist . The 44/40 version has a 1:38 twist and the 44/40 cases thinner in the neck - if was me doin it I would for sure get the 44/40 version (not a fan of Spencers so not gonna happen). His is an attractive piece - looks well finished - functions ok.

Vendor Sponsor

Their 44 magnum also has a 1:16 twist. These would be good for heavy for caliber loads, 300+gr boolits.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Their 44 magnum also has a 1:16 twist. These would be good for heavy for caliber loads, 300+gr boolits.
    Its a fun gun - a plinker ----300 grain plus in that little carbine would probably stop bein fun for some people. The only way this makes sense to me is they make and sell pistols and couldnt be bothered making a proper rifle twist barrel so they used the pistol rifling - or else they bought a job lot of fast twist barrels - it reeks of corner cutting to me - but hey what would I know I am not part of the target market

Super Moderator

..............Not a Spenser, but my early Miroku M92 win clone in 45 Colt has a 16" twist. My M92 Rossi has a 32" twist. One nice thing about the 16" twist is that it will shoot a 340gr Lee like a house afire

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............Not a Spenser, but my early Miroku M92 win clone in 45 Colt has a 16" twist. My M92 Rossi has a 32" twist. One nice thing about the 16" twist is that it will shoot a 340gr Lee like a house afire

..............Buckshot
    Hey Buckshot
    We have that Lee 457340F mold already - what size bore is your Rossi ? I thought 457 might be kinda fat for a 45 colt barrel? have not slugged that Chappy/Spencer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post

My M92 Rossi has a 32" twist.

You might have been a little off in your measurement, since all Rossi Model 92's, in every chambering, were issued with a factory stated 1:30" barrel twist rate.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    Original Spencers can still be found for reasonable prices if you are willing to do a lot of searching. I do not view $1200 for a Springfield made 1865 56-50 as a whole lot more than what the repros will cost. Dixie and Taylors have priced those for years above what we paid for our 1865.
    It did have the rim-fire breach block so that had to be replaced for centerfire work. But if we ever sell ours it will be sold with both breach blocks and the new buying will pay for it.

Ammo... I thought that is why we cast and reload. 56-50 brass is easily available from all sorts of vendors. Molds are at least 4 outfits mentioned regular here. Lee even makes an inexpensive caliber 50 mold that shoots well in our Spencer.
    Then there are several "custom" bullet places that sell 56-50 if you want to pay the price.
    Granted our Spencer is not in NOS condition. But it is the real deal and may have been on a few of the last patrols down south and is near for sure one of those that road the plains and deserts out west.
    Mike in ILLinois
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Hey Buckshot
    We have that Lee 457340F mold already - what size bore is your Rossi ? I thought 457 might be kinda fat for a 45 colt barrel? have not slugged that Chappy/Spencer yet.
    ...............My M92 Rossi (24" Oct bbl) has a tight barrel, but shallow grooves. The bore is .445" and the grooves are .450". The Miroku is perfect at .443" x .451".
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Joe
    Anneal your brass end of soot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Ed View Post
    Joe
    Anneal your brass end of soot.
    Yeah done the first batch for him - hasnt shot it yet so dont know whether I got enough heat into it but should be ok - needs heavier boolits I think he only could get 200grainers to start off.