RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatch peppers are here

Boolit Master

Hatch peppers are here

I bought a bunch at Safeway the other day. They were mild, and tasty. 99 cents per lb. I just roasted another batch, and they're killer hot. Chorizo, eggs, chilies , and tortillas for breakfast. Might have to have it for dinner tonight too, with a cold IPA. Sure sign that Summer is almost over.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I bought a bunch at Safeway the other day. They were mild, and tasty. 99 cents per lb. I just roasted another batch, and they're killer hot. Chorizo, eggs, chilies , and tortillas for breakfast. Might have to have it for dinner tonight too, with a cold IPA. Sure sign that Summer is almost over.
    The New Mexico green chili is a superior pepper and comes in various levels of heat. The vast majority of these peppers are grown in Luna County NM where Deming is the county seat. Hatch NM is in Dona Anna County and that is where the cannery is located.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

There was (is) a farmers market in Corralles (right beside Alberquque, on the west side as you go up to Rio Rancho) and they would roast the green peppers after you bought them. My wife & I both have fond memories of it We just saw yesterday that one of our local grocers had some Hatch peppers and were roasting them for customers. We should have stopped and got some but didn't

Boolit Master

I get mine from Denver, a family member will purchase them, roasted, then they will freeze them so they can mail them to us. We vacuum seal and freeze them to last us all year. Anytime we are there for the season, we hand carry them back. I should build a rotary roaster to get them sent fresh, it would save a bunch of hassle. I love hatch chili for smothered burritos, just can't duplicate that taste with any other pepper.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Yep. Time to go get mine. That place in Corrales that RKJ is talking about is Wagner Farms. They get some great chiles there, mild, medium and hot. This gringo can deal with the medium pretty well.

I make a green chile recipe with pork that comes out pretty fantastic.

Now I'm hungry........

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Buddy

What are some recipes using those chilies ?

Moderator Emeritus

The local family grocery chain (Coborns) offered them last Friday and Saturday. They made a big thing about it, roasting them for customers and such. It didn't go over that well, at least, at the Glencoe store it didn't, I think maybe no one knows of them around here? They charged $2.99 lb.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

They make the best Chile Rellenos ever.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In my part of New Mexico, Hatch chile is used in everything....
    I like enchildadas and burritos best!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by pjames32 View Post
    In my part of New Mexico, Hatch chile is used in everything....
    I like enchildadas and burritos best!
    Amen to the enchiladas.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shtur View Post
    What are some recipes using those chilies ?
    This is an easy one. Take 4 long, uncooked chilies. Cut off stem end, and cut open. Remove seeds, and stuff with cream cheese, wrap well with bacon. Bake at 350 until bacon is crisp, about 40 minutes. Enjoy.

Boolit Buddy
    I get mine from a farm directly. Not 0.99 a pound for sure. Mine run more like $4 a pound with 2 day delivery. Arrived a few weeks ago and spent afternoon roasting, bagging and freezing in vacuum packages. Yes, they're expensive that way but I know exactly where they come from. Been getting them from the same farm for many years. Always fantastic.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a simple chip dip recipe I made up some time ago. Adjust the ingredients to your tastes so what I give is "about".
    2 16 oz containers of sour cream
    6 HATCH roasted green chilis cut up
    about 1 medium onion chopped, i do it a bit coarse
    3 cloves of crushed garlic
    about 2 tablespoons of cumin
    about 3 or more tablespoons of ground red chili, not the flakes
    Salt to taste

Mix it all together and let it sit overnight. that way the onions get nice and soft marinating and the flavors can come out.
    Last edited by johnho; 08-29-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    Johnho, are you using roasted hatch, or raw?

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry, I corrected the recipe to include roasted.

Boolit Master

How long does the season last? I figure I need to get me a bushel soon.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Season is short. Maybe 3 weeks, and they're gone.

Vendor Sponsor

I grew some this year, they stayed on the bush long enough to turn red. Very mild, too mild for me.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

If you want 'em hot, you can increase the heat by reducing the amount of water you give 'em right after the blossoms are done. The seeds you get can also determine which are hot and which are not.

--Wag--

Boolit Master

My wife picked up some more hatch peppers from HEB along with three Prime New York strip steaks from the meat counter. Total bill was right at $20 since the steak was $9.99 a lb. We roasted them on the grill at the same time as the steak and ate them together with some instant pot homemade Mac and cheese with broccoli. We roasted about 8 of them because she wanted leftovers but there wasn’t any.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast