MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 1894CL in 25-20

Boolit Buddy
    They are fine rifles, I bought one a 32-20 about 12 years ago , and a few years later walked into a gunshop where they took in a .218 bee. they never cleaned it or even wiped it off with a rag. pretty grungy and dusty. it had a marlin sling and several boxes of ammo. the clerk said the price was $350.00 and I about broke my arm getting My wallet out.

Boolit Master
    Check ammo prices at MidwayUSA. A 25-20 shooter I know buys from Midway.

I have DUCKS UNLIMITED the serial # 100
    I order safety replacement a Saddle ring.
    It is a shooter

So I have a 22 mag. rifle and a Marlin 1894C 18.5” 357. While I love the idea of loading and mastering a new round (I load 32wcf for 2 colt revolvers), I see the 38/357 Marlin do everything the 32-20 does but more. I see the 22 mag. almost doing what the 25-20 does (but expensive because it’s not reloadable). Do others consider the 25-20 a reloadable 22 mag.?

Boolit Buddy
    I think you will really like that rifle, I shoot my 25-20 more than I do the bee. both cl marlins. mine likes the 257420 with lilgun and a rem 61/2 primer. shot it some yesterday at one of my steel plates.
    Barry

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Ed View Post
    I have DUCKS UNLIMITED the serial # 100
    I order safety replacement a Saddle ring.
    It is a shooter
    Hope you are being careful over there in Hazelton, they are big time on the news as I guess you would know. I'm over near Lehighton, not quite so bad.
    Barry

Boolit Mold
    I was just shooting mine today, getting sight setting for all 3 lever silhouette rifles. I put new sights on all 3. The 25-20 uses the Arsenal made copy of the 257420 recommended by several others in this thread, with 6.5 grains of Blue Dot. I use the same load in a Winchester 53, and both will shoot 2"@100M and I can't do much better than that with iron sights in any rifle.

HOWDY BARRY
    I live about half way between Hazleton & Sheppton on Rt.924, Did you know RON SNOVER before he moved to Tenn.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Ed View Post
    HOWDY BARRY
    I live about half way between Hazleton & Sheppton on Rt.924, Did you know RON SNOVER before he moved to Tenn.
    Howdy to you Ed. do not know Ron. do have family not too far from you (I think) Do you know where Fern Glen is? anyhow stay safe and healthy over there. hope this will be over soon.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    So I have a 22 mag. rifle and a Marlin 1894C 18.5” 357. While I love the idea of loading and mastering a new round (I load 32wcf for 2 colt revolvers), I see the 38/357 Marlin do everything the 32-20 does but more. I see the 22 mag. almost doing what the 25-20 does (but expensive because it’s not reloadable). Do others consider the 25-20 a reloadable 22 mag.?
    I own a 32-20 Marlin 94, 357 Rossi and a 22 mag in a Henry. I have mentioned more than once that getting a 357 is often a good alternative over waiting to get a 32-20. There is an issue of cost of brass and bullet availability as well. In my 357 I use more hard cast commercial bullets than any other cartridge as they are inexpensive enough not to mess with over a melting pot.

I turned down a chance at a 25-20 because of the 22 mag. For my uses it sees more use than either the 32-20 or the 357. There is nothing I would shoot with a 25-20 that I would not shoot with my 22 mag. I also like the 22 mag as I don't have to reload it. 32-20 is a fun cartridge as would be the 25-20, and they are a historical cartridge, but they also have very limited use except for target range shooting. The 32-20 was a black powder cartridge and was an opportunistic type combination in the 73 Winchester. The 25-20 as I understand came along about the time of the 92 Winchester. Primarily small game numbers. Some called them "trappers" cartridges because they came in boxes of 50, were compact and with careful use worked on larger game.

DEP

My brother had one in 25-20 in the '90's that he finally gave up trying to make accurate.
    Maybe some of the Marlin's had a problem.

Boolit Master
    Reviving an older thread here, but what's out there regarding either a tang sight or a receiver sight for a newer model CL?
    Picked up one at an estate sale the other day in 25-20, not in VG condition but I would rate it at Good+. I know that moulds, brass & dies are scarce, knew that going into it.
    There's other 'projects' before this one.
    Last edited by Czech_too; 06-26-2021 at 04:59 AM.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

I have both the 25-20 & 32-20 in the Marlin CL. Both are super accurate with my home cast Lyman 65gr GC ( 73 gr from WW ) & the Lee 117gr GC, sized .311. I powder coat also. They are deadly accurate. Powdered coated or traditional size & lube with LBT soft blue shoot great. I can supply you with some of my home cast if needed. Also can share my loading info.

For got to mention my bullets are cast from scrape WW. Works perfect.

Boolit Master

I've had very good luck with the Skinner "Peep" sight.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I put a Williams receiver sight on a 94 in .218 Bee, I think they still offer it, but has been a few years ago. Good find, someday I would like to find a 32-20 to play with.

Boolit Buddy
    Second on the skinner peep sight. Mine in 32-20 is very accurate with my cast and unique powder.

Boolit Master

Bought one of the DU models some years ago. The 257420 is the route to take. I found that the 257312 (90 grainer) wouldn't stabilize. Gave me keyholes. I rebarrelled with a 1-12 twist and put a 22" Douglas barrel with a full mag on mine and now it handles the heavier bullets which is what I was after.
    We laughed when it was finished. Actually the magazine will hold 11 rounds and was illegal by Hilliary's standards at the time. Didn't plan it that way but that's the way it turned out./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Since I last responded to this, a good friend has a 92 win. takedown in 25-20 that we have been reloading for and casting an old ideal 86 grain lead bullet. He used it over the July 4th weekend for cowboy action shooting. It’s specifically allowed for cowboy action. He just bought 100 Win. new brass cases for over $100 off of gun broker. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADEDC894-279B-4CCE-B921-29F6AFE18C80.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	285782
    Last edited by smkummer; 07-08-2021 at 03:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12