Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: close range varmint load for richochet concerns?

Boolit Master

close range varmint load for richochet concerns?

im looking for something to use for squirrel to rabbit sized game. I want it to be quiet but it seems everything that's slower and quiet richochet's like mad. is there any clever ways around this or am I looking at a dead end?

Boolit Master
    .22 springer air rifle with 15 gr wadcutter pellets would meet those criteria very well. Second best would be a .22 short with a lead hollow point.

Boolit Master
    Good quality airgun either springer or PCP using the latest hollowpoint pellets don't richochet far, otherwise cast boolits tend to bounce a lot and a long ways.

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.luckygunner.com/22-lr-40...onic-50-rounds

Details
    This product is one of CCI's top performing rounds. It is loaded to match your shooting skills with the maximum amount of knock-down power available for a 22 LR. It is a cousin to the renowned "Stinger" ammunition but with a slightly heavier bullet designed for improved long-range ballistics performance.

Each frangible lead hollow-point bullet is gilded (coated) with a thin copper plating to reduce muzzle build-up and to help the bullet retain its shape during feeding (into the chamber), flight, and to some degree, impact. The frangible, segmented design of this bullet creates three distinct wound channels upon impact to take varmints out quickly, while also allowing for safer shooting in environments where ricochet is a concern.

This round has a muzzle velocity of 1050 fps, keeping it well below the sound barrier, for quieter shooting. This makes the round a particularly good option for those utilizing a suppressed firearm.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-15-2018 at 06:36 PM.

177 springer with FN PB pellet will make a 30' round trip and dent the wood next to your leg. My gamo is noisier than a 22. 177 works on rabbits and rats, squirrels are too fast for me. Double barrel 12ga dove load 10' from a fridge (old steel one) makes you glad you had jeans on. I gave away a box of those CCI, wouldn't cycle my 22. Fellow at the range has a 22 springer with the shroud muzzle, couldn't hear it go off. I stick with beer darts for bunnies in the yard.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Less than 1,000fps air rifle with heavy pellets. After I got an air rifle as a kid it took 10+ years for the squirrel population to recover. I've taken skunks, rabbits ect. with it as well. Mine is almost 30 years old still working after 10's of thousands of pellets. It was a Webley Omega in .177 about 800fps imported by Beeman. This will do what you want. I'd use .22 but you have the option of both. https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beema...fle_Combo/1334

Ditto the .22 air rifle.20 yards and less I'd go with whichever wadcutter pellet is most accurate.The hollowpoint pellets won't open up unless fired from one the higher end (high velocity) air rifles.Around 500-600 fps and you'll find the pellet just under a squirrel's skin on the off side.A scope helps get the pinpoint accuracy on the small critters

Boolit Master
    ive tried 22 subsonics and that's where most of my ricochet concern comes from is hearing it buzz off in a random direction, seemingly wherever I shoot them unless its at an actual backstop. I know a pellet gun would be good but I don't currently have one or the money. I was thinking of something more like downloading a 30-06 to become my pellet gun, maybe a roundball or something like a short wadcutter or modified boolit at maybe 5-600 fps or so. ive seen the "mouse fart" thread before but does anyone have experience shooting something like this, would heavier and slower as
    in this example ricochet more or less than a 22 ?

Boolit Master
    or what if I just bought 22 cal air pellets, could I fire them from a .222 rem case with a drilled out flash hole, with either just a primer or pinch of fast powder? trying to think outside the box here

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe a bit much for your intentions but...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Safety-Bullet

The intent of the design is to assure that there are no ricochets.

Another design that works well for me though I haven't tried really light loads:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?129160-311410

I got a plain base version and it works well... blows stuff up real good! Not enough left to ricochet!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

The pellet in a 22 caliber rifle case works well and can be accurate. Drilled out flash holes do help but you may want to load them skirt hollow base out so skirt dosnt pull off or they stick in the barrel. I have done it in 22 hornet case 218 bee case 223 case 22-250 case and 220 swift case all worked good. Don't remember the velocity I was getting anymore.

If you can get on a elevated platform it helps alleviate richocets by a better angle into the ground.

Boolit Master
    There are several quite good used .177 and .22 cal springers on GB for under $50 with no reserve and Wal-Mart has a few usable .177 cal springers scoped for under $75 with free in-store pickup.

Sheridan Blue Streak, use only the power you need. 2-3 pumps will kill most birds with a head shot very dead very fast. Bunnies I did normally go up to 4 pumps. It had a definite sound to it, but it did not really sound like a gunshot.

My bluestreak has taken bunnies and squirrels out to 35 yards no problem at all.

Airguns in general will ricochet less, they are working with less energy, less mass, most of which is dispersed when it hits something.

I've had a 4x4 cover plate for an electrical junction box hanging in my target trap for 3 years. Never had a pellet come back full distance to me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Sheridan Blue Streak, use only the power you need. 2-3 pumps will kill most birds with a head shot very dead very fast. Bunnies I did normally go up to 4 pumps. It had a definite sound to it, but it did not really sound like a gunshot.

My bluestreak has taken bunnies and squirrels out to 35 yards no problem at all.

Airguns in general will ricochet less, they are working with less energy, less mass, most of which is dispersed when it hits something.

I've had a 4x4 cover plate for an electrical junction box hanging in my target trap for 3 years. Never had a pellet come back full distance to me.
    I use four pumps on my Benjamin 392 for target work. It'll punch through a coffee can at 50 yards. Though, trajectory is a bit rainbowy and gray squirrels are pretty tough.

.22 center fire with #4 buck shot? roll in alox and load over fast powder?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    A gluelit or glue bullet with a no. 4 buck shot pellet might be an answer. I don't know. Just an idea. Even a quarter inch nut in a thirty caliber gluelit could work.

Boolit Master
    Remember anything propelled by a primer and /or powder is a firearm discharge by all Leo's so your local laws still apply.

If 22 short Gallery loads are still available, their composition bullet should be a good choice for this kind of work. Especially if you drill a hollow point in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've tried round buck shot over 2 grains of Bullseye for plinker loads in my 30-06. Couldn't get the load to shoot real accurate past 10 yards, the powder was a little position sensitive and consistent neck tension was a a must for any accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I can tell you not to use the CCI quiets. They never exited my barrel. Caught the first one so I didn't have squib with my brand new to me used rifle.

If you get a CZ utralux it has a 28.5" barrel. It sounds like it's suppressed with standard velocity ammo. Mine shoots half inch groups at 50 yards with cheap Winchester 333 hi velocity ammo. The report is so far away from your head that the sound dampens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast