Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unique ?smokless? power replacement

I love just plain clean Clays in my 45 acp,I am going to use my Unique in my new cast rifle loads, I have some 3030 loaded up allready.

Since I ended up with Large rifle magnum primers by accident, I'm using them up in cast bullet loads. They work fine.

Boolit Master
    IMO Clays (just plain) is the absolute best target 12 gauge powder I've ever used. Now with that said I have burned some Universal, but have since gone back to Unique, I like Unique better for three reasons. First it is bulkier, takes up more space and if there should be a double charge I can see it much easier, second IME Unique is cleaner, yes I really said it is cleaner, I don't shoot light loads, only medium power loads with Unique and my pressure is high enough to not get sooting and/or gunk, three, it shoots great, very accurate in almost everything I load in.
    I have never had an issue with the labeling.

Are these the old labels, or the new ones? I think these are fairly easy to distinguish.

They appear to be new - or at least they match the shots on the Alliant website, as best as I can see.

On the other hand ... I just checked my own cans/labels. I have sample bottles of Clays and Universal from their first month of introduction and they look the same to me. Hmmmmm.

(Trivia note: When they introduced Clays, they made up sample bottles with just enough Clays to load one box of 12-ga trap loads. I was at a shoot where they handed out a truckload of those little bottles. When the shoot was over they had grundles of them left, and because I was driving home and not flying, they gave me a bunch of them. I still have some - unopened.)

Quote Originally Posted by dougader View Post
    Are these the old labels, or the new ones? I think these are fairly easy to distinguish.

They used to look like the one on the left. They should put a label o top of the lid, in plain text, stating which iteration it is.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by spurrit View Post
    There are THREE Clay's powders? I thought there was just universal and regular! They really oughta use better naming/labeling practices. When I first got into reloading, I went through several pounds before I realised I was using the wrong Clay's data!
    why? do you get confused by the red ,green, blue or clay "dot" powders from aliant too.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhickory View Post
    All I will say is, if I had only one pistol powder to load with...It would be Unique.
    actually it is all i load with for paper punching and clays; 357, 45 colt, 223, 300 whisper, 300 wby mag, 35 remington and 12 gauge it works for all of them. i use unique in service rifle competition in the ar, bullseye competition, and in skeet. it wins, so i have no need for any other powder.

Quote Originally Posted by joedapro View Post
    why? do you get confused by the red ,green, blue or clay "dot" powders from aliant too.
    if the labels look the same, I generally don't look too close. After the incident I mentioned, I started double checking.
    Last edited by waksupi; 05-12-2009 at 06:58 AM. Reason: poster being a jerk. Quit it

Quote Originally Posted by joedapro View Post
    actually it is all i load with for paper punching and clays; 357, 45 colt, 223, 300 whisper, 300 wby mag, 35 remington and 12 gauge it works for all of them. i use unique in service rifle competition in the ar, bullseye competition, and in skeet. it wins, so i have no need for any other powder.
    Hmm... I would love to see what bullet and what amount of Unique you are using in your AR Joedapro. That would make for an interesting experiment. I havent used Unique in a rifle since I had a 243 years ago and it worked very well indeed in that 7grns of it would put a 90 grn bullet through a 1/4 steel plate at 100 yards if I remember correctly. I wonder about cycling the action of the AR with a Unique load... please elaborate!

NExt, we'll see a thread on cleaning lead and carbon out of your gas tube.

I'm with joedapro and oldhickory---------------maybe thats why its called UNIQUE !!!!!!!!
    good shooting-------------------------Papa Smurf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123