Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Anyobe shoot the Crossno .22lr sub caliber barrel insert or know anything about them?

Boolit Master

Anyobe shoot the Crossno .22lr sub caliber barrel insert or know anything about them?

I made a post on here 2-3 weeks ago, about a .22 lr in maybe a Mini Sharps or a low wall. someone mentioned the Crossno .22 lr inserts so I got on youtube and only found one brief video of a guy shooting one, once, that was it. Anyone know anything about them, have experience using them. All replies appreciated!

I have one for my .45 Sharps. Once you figure out how to clock the insert fo installation so that the extractor slot is at 12 O'clock when seated, installation is simple, quick and repeatable for zero. The insert is accurate in the extreme and will out shoot a Walther target rifle in my posession and out shot a Marlin 2000 I used to have. Only draw back is case extraction which is done with a small screwdriver but is quick and easy. Given good ammo and the sights one has on a long range rifle, you will be amazed what can be done out to 400+ yards. The device is well worth the money which was not a lot when I bought mine.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I have 3 of them. They shoot very well. Like Dan mentioned the hard part is getting it indexed.
    I wrote an article in The American Sharpsshooter about them a few years ago 2013 volume 5
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    They are pretty good. I have one and it's quite accurate, although not as accurate as my CPA with it's Douglas XX barrel with match chamber. It has shot ten shot groups in not a lot over a minute of angle at 100m though.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that, on some rifles it will not clear the tang sight base so it's more of a PITA to remove/install it. On my CSA highwall it was no problem, but on my Shiloh sharps with the Long Range Express stock it hits the MVA sight base when you try and insert it.

I bought mine from Shiloh and can guarantee you won't find a more accurate .22LR for anything close to the cost. Some have said that theirs shoot cheap ammo well, but mine shows a definite preference for the match grade stuff ( like I'd expect ). Lapua Center-X works very well, as does RWS R-50.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Does anyone have contact info for Crossno? I have one in 45-70 i want modified to 40-65.

Boolit Master
    I now have one in 40/65 for my 40/82 and another one for my 45/70. Some of the best money I have ever spent on rifles.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 44wcf View Post
    Does anyone have contact info for Crossno? I have one in 45-70 i want modified to 40-65.
    Dave and Pam have both passed away, and much too early I might add.
    Chill Wills

Haven't heard if Mike Basset will continue to make the Crossno .22 adapter?

Boolit Master
    I have been thinking about getting one myself but was worried about erosion of the larger bore at the tubes muzzle or is that not an issue.

Boolit Master
    No issue at all, as far as I can tell, and have never heard of any erosion on the bigger bore, too much difference in diameter.

Boolit Bub
    i have one in my shilo sharps 45/110 works great.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two Crossno liners. They shoot very well. One I use in a 32" 40-65 Ballard. Have shot a number of 4" 5 shot groups at 200 meters with CCI Standard Velocity. Wind has to be real calm in order to do this though. As far as erosion or lead buildup in the larger barrel. Buy a 12" length of rigid brass model tubing. Cut it to length so it protrudes about 2" past the muzzle. This gives you something to grasp, when it needs to be removed. Install a piece of masking tape lengthwise on the exterior of the brass tube to create a little bit of friction when it is pushed into place against the muzzzle of the liner assembly.
    K&S is the brand of tubing
    3/8" for 40 caliber
    7/16" for 45 caliber
    Rick

Boolit Mold
    Shilo Sharps carries the Crossno 22LR liner...I asked them a question on spare parts and they told me to contact Brad @ b.w.man@sbcglobal.net who makes them now.
    I just ordered and received a replacement crown and spud for the liner.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one and love it. Great way to get some extra trigger time and really get to know your rifle. Extraction on mine can be done with a finger nail if you use cci or Winchester ammo. Other stuff is way to tight to take out without a screw driver. You will be amazed how much .22 you will go through playing around with it. I prob put 1000 rounds down mine then decided to go back to 45-70. It pushed right out and there was some fouling in the barrel at the end of insert. A little bore cleaner and one pass with brush then some patches cleaned it right up.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Crossno and a couple of Lee Shaver's liners with the cartridge holder adapter. Accuracy wise they are identical. I was rather disappointed that extraction with the Crossno device requires a small screw driver. I prefer the Shaver system.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition