Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Funeral Flag Presentation Questions

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Everything you want to know about 21 gun salute

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/th...salute-3354127
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

Members of Congress and The President get a Flag
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I was always impressed with this kind of funerals. How everything is prepared and performed, you can clearly see that his kind of funerals is made for very respected people. I saw once a funeral of an ex Vietnam soldier. It was, in Sad Diego from what I remember. The guys that planned the funeral really did a good job. They even used the Slant headstone maker for the funeral stone. It's actually sad to attend a funeral, but that one really impressed me. Hope you guys are doing ok. Take care.
    Last edited by LukeSrm; 04-05-2021 at 04:27 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing also I think is that veterans are saluted by veterans and active military are saluted by active military. The last few veterans here honor guard by the VFW was only 3 members and a local high school band member volunteered to play taps for them. The VFW is losing members and the veterans health is getting to the point that most cant do the honor guard duty anymore. Thats how Dads was done. There just weren't enough for the full Honor guard

Boolit Grand Master
    I did a few burials at sea for former service members. At that time we only did cremains, if member of the deceased family was on board, they dumped the ashes.

We always did three volleys of seven rifles.

We also did three volleys of seven when we dedicated the park at Annacortes, WA. Although we did have our Gunnery Division officer in charge that time.

At NAWS Pt Mugu, we had a 40mm saluting battery. The normal salutes weren't too bad, other than screwing up Weapons Dept's liberty; but the minute guns of Memorial Day had us setting off car alarms for several minutes.

There is a rather large Navy manual regarding ceremonies and the number of guns required in a salute. I do not remember the particulars, but a gun salute is different from firing three volleys at a funeral.

Robert

Banned
    don't know the protocol but my father a WW2 combat vet and 2 Cousins 1 killed in VN, one from Agent Orange from VN flags were presented

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rl69 View Post
    My grand father had a gun salute and I was always puzzled becuse I understood that a 21 gun salute was reserved for certain people. Now I wounder how many shots were fired all thouse years ago?
    Thank you trapper.
    My grandfather who went ashore at Normandy had a flag draped coffin, taps by an actual person and a salute.

I would think it highly improper for the flag of it wasn't a vet or police/firefighter killed in the line of duty
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

In our region, you verify the deceased's credintials, and the funeral home provides the govt. issued flag.

The local VFW used to do the folding ceremony and a 21 gun salute at the grave site if you asked, and they could arrange it.
    That's pretty much gone away since the WWII and Korean war guys have mostly passed away themselves.

After they so gleefully **** on the Viet Nam era vets, there isn't any younger guys to be VFW members and continue the services.
    Now days, 2 active duty members from the deceased's branch of Service fold and present the flag if requested.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-05-2021 at 08:36 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    One of the toughest duties I performed a few years ago was presenting the Flag to the mother of one of my young troops at her funeral service. My squadron commander had asked me to stand in for him as I speak Spanish and her mother spoke no English.
    The base Honor Guard did the Honors, they played taps on the bugle, they had the volley. I was honored to help carry the flag draped coffin from the hearse to the stand. I could barely hold back the tears as all the following was going on. The Honor Guard folded the Flag. Presented it to me as the Presenting Officer and I then marched and gave it to the mother. I had translated the phrase into Spanish so that her mother could understand.

Thursday, I am attending a funeral for one of my former troops, also a retired LE, who passed last weekend.
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12