Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Improvement of my Good 1oz Lee Slug Load

Boolit Master

I was saying that if someone goes into production selling the slug inserts..they might be good to buy. Sounds like an interesting product.

Boolit Grand Master

The "rocket" fins are a good idea and seem to work. I suspect that 3D printing for commercial sales wouldn't be worth it but if someone set up injection moulding equipment then they could be cranked out in large numbers. The finned base might have to be glued in place or a burr put on the drive key to make sure the fins stay with the slugs.

I have made forms and cast hot melt glue tailwads onto Lee slugs and some of those came off in flight! I was surprised but the hot glue on cold slug doesn't bond well. The ones that I pulled out came out with little effort but were perfectly formed like an injection moulding. If the slugs were heated before pouring the glue then they bonded but alternately and easier is to just take a punch and give each rib a bop to put a burr on it, that gives the glue something to hold on to. I suspect 3D printed finned bases or injection moulded finned bases would require the same burr or something similar to make sure the finned bases stay attached.

I am still playing with the glue tailwads and they seem to be working quite well. I have another batch to test.

I would prefer to be able to make a tailwad like these finned bases though. I doubt I will be buying a 3D printer to get there though.

I suppose the Russian slugs that use a brush wad screwed to the base of a slug are as easy and use readily available wads. There is an appeal to using standard trap wads though and being able to sub slug for shot in factory rounds.

Maybe someone will take you up on that and start making finned bases. It is nice to have options.

Longbow

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123