MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger Speed Six question

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Ruger Security Six 4" barrel. It had a less than perfect trigger and I could not shoot it to my satisfaction. I had a trigger job done. Off the bench it shot well, carried well but I just could NOT shoot it like I wanted to. I happened to be at the Indianapolis 500 gun show and one of the distributors had a number of the new 686 Model CS-1's. The price was right and I fell in love with it at first sight. I took it home, went to the range and was shooting full magnum loads like a laser at 25 yards. A good friend and co-worker offered me a decent price for the Ruger Security Six and I sold it to him. He loved it. I continued to shoot the 686 extremely well and still have it. It is one of my all time favorite revolvers!

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

I picked up a .357 Mag Service-Six in the mid 90’s in stainless with a 4 inch barrel. I believe it was an import from Century Arms due to the CAI stamp . It’s a sweet rugged shooter and is my house gun. It’s always close.

Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Ship it off for an action job as soon as you get it.

IDK who does them well, but if you’re accustomed to S&W triggers, a six series will feel like garbage.

I’ve owned several and really wanted to like them, but that DA trigger was a deal-breaker for me.

IDK if they can ever equal an S&W trigger due to the coil vs leaf mainspring.

I’ve been thinking of giving it one last shot with a 160-or later gun, but an action job will be a must. S&Ws are easy enough to smooth myself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Its been a while since I did an action job on a Ruger Six series revolver, but as I recall it wasn't all that difficult to get a smooth easy to shoot job done. Mainly using crocus sloth to smooth pins and bearing surfaces, IIRC.

Did it equal a modern (Post WWII) S&W? Maybe, maybe not; but to hear our forefathers talk the modern S&W didn't equal a pre-war S&W either.

Guess what, a V-spring type DA Colt properly polished will make a S&W seem like dragging a box over rocks.

Its all in what you get used to. And a Ruger is a lot tougher than a S&W, as a S&W seems to be tougher than the older designed Colts.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I owned two Ruger SS, one with the heavy barrel. I took my first one apart and polished every part that came in contact with another part. When I got finished I had a very smooth double action pistol. Sadly I don't have either of them now. I thought I could buy another but Ruger saw fit to drop it from their line and replace it with that boat anchor they call the GP100, I think.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master
    They are still out there, it just takes a bit of luck finding the specific model you want at a decent price.

Strangely, I just this afternoon compared the DA trigger on my tuned by me GP-100 from the early 2000's to my first year Security Six. Both 4" blued guns. The bone stock Security Six has a better trigger.

I need to get busy and smooth it out just a little bit, and shot it a lot.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I would like to add one bit of information, so that there is no mistake. My two "brands" of revolvers are S&W and Ruger. I have a number of examples. I am primarily a "shooter", not a collector. In the past, I used many different revolvers "in the field" as well as "on the range". I knew when I bought a Smith, that they came with near perfect triggers. They could easily be improved with a few minor bits (springs, etc.). However, most Smith's can be a "little tender" when using heavy loads. As an example, the Model 29's will not take sustained heavy loads like a Ruger large frame Blackhawk or a Redhawk. So, I just loaded Smith's a wee bit lighter and soldiered on. I did not shoot my Model 19's with loads that proved to be gun damaging. I went to the Model 686, instead.

I, also learned, MANY years ago, that nearly every Ruger, including the excellent .22 Target autos, REQUIRED, a trigger job. When we got new members into our local gun club, and learned that most working men (like me) didn't have unlimited funds, I would recommend the Ruger Target .22's. I told them, "Before you even fire a shot, take your new Ruger to our local Gunsmith, and have the trigger replaced with a trigger job. Our local gunsmith was a retired Marine Gunnery Sergeant who was on the Marine Advanced Marksmanship program and did McMillan's guns. He was EXTREMELY reasonable in price as well as EXTREMELY good! We were blessed. That advice was often taken and the new shooter often rapidly became an accomplished NRA Bullseye shooter.

I loved the Ruger Single Actions as well. I just planned on doing a trigger job immediately, and later learned to measure the cylinder throats and act accordingly. When those items were done, the Rugers became wondrous revolvers, too.

However, I also learned, that "I" had work to do, also. Much dry firing, much range time, and a LOT of reloading and bullet casting to allow me to do so, financially.

So, back to the topic in hand. It can be helpful to hear the "back story", so you can see what drives certain critical decisions.

Dale53

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123