Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading UKADvertise hereRepackbox

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 55 USD (1%)
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Paper patching and Forensic Ballistics

Boolit Master
    if i knew the answer im not telling might need it sometime.

Boolit Grand Master
    I could write for hours about the things that get crooks caught, whether it is a homicide or a catalytic converter theft.

A lot of it boils down to planning, or more correctly a failure to do so or to plan completely. This becomes obvious fairly early in an investigation. A lot of crimes aren't planned at all, or only up to a point where the intended act is completed. After that, they are winging it--and it REALLY shows.

I've been retired for 16 years now. There isn't much that I miss about cop work, especially now that media propagandists are doing their best to cast us in the most negative possible light to boost ad rates. One thing I do miss--hunting armed predators. That was the best.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

9.3X62AL

I worked case one time, the perpetrator had stolen a transmission out of a parked car, as he was crawling out his wallet and ID came out of his pocket.

There is a lot more forensic evidence in cartridge cases than bullets, making a revolver a better murder weapon.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I suspect that firing pin marks and then bolt face stirations are number one and two where it comes to casing forensics.

Three44s
    Extraction and ejection marks also rank right up there.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

And jails are chock full of *Brilliant* criminals. Two words: Digital Fingerprint.

In a double homicide case the victims were shot with a .45ACP, the ammunition was some cheap commercial lead bullet rounds. Five rounds were fired the bullets were pretty well deformed. Three cases were found at the scene, a weapon was never found so the bullets were of no evidentiary value, however the crime scene cases were compared with other empty cases at the suspects residence and were confirmed to have been fired in the same gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    The greatest disservice done by these CSI-centered TV shows is to create the impression in the minds of viewers that forensic examinations are some kind of Deus ex machina--that these Miracles Of Modern Science can conclusively point the finger of guilt at a given perpetrator, and can stand alone and unsupported by surrounding circumstances to direct justice. That just isn't reality.

Firearms forensics is NOT new science. Parts of it have been amended by scientific advances, but a lot of the foundation elements are close to 100 years old.

GOOD convictions are a holistic amalgam--science, witness statements, suspect admissions, physical evidence processed with that science, and dogged confirmation of every possible detail of all the elements listed above.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Most homicides would go unsolved if the perp simply disposed of the weapon (in a thoughtful manor) and kept their mouth shut!
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Boolit Bub
    This thread is very interesting. I have read about many crimes and most often, as has been said several times, the criminal cannot keep his mouth shut, especially to their ex-partners.

So far I've learned the weapon should be a revolver, the bullets salvaged and riding in a sabot, the powder and cases should be from various sources and the weapon should be disposed of, i.e., melted into slag and buried. Then have your, ears and eyes poked out, your tongue removed as well as your hands so you cannot listen, talk, write or sign language.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wbbh View Post
    This thread is very interesting. I have read about many crimes and most often, as has been said several times, the criminal cannot keep his mouth shut, especially to their ex-partners.

So far I've learned the weapon should be a revolver, the bullets salvaged and riding in a sabot, the powder and cases should be from various sources and the weapon should be disposed of, i.e., melted into slag and buried. Then have your, ears and eyes poked out, your tongue removed as well as your hands so you cannot listen, talk, write or sign language.
    That sounds like it about covers it.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234