WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: .4335 chambers/sizing

Boolit Man

.4335 chambers/sizing

Recently purchased 44 special Taurus has .4335 chambers, and I was wondering where to get oversized sizers. Buffalo has .432. Should I try to find one that is .433? Where?
    My Ruger SRH is .431, so maybe I could get the .432 and use for both, or would that be bad as it is oversized for the Ruger?
    Any recommendations for a 200gr mold that cast somewhat fat? The Lee FN, or maybe the nice looking Saeco?

Banned

.433 would be ideal for the Taurus but .432 would be OK and would work in the SRH, IF IT CHAMBERS.
    Now for the biggest problem! Finding a mold large enough so you can size a boolit to what you want. Unless you order a custom mold I don't think just getting a larger sizer will do a thing for you.
    I made molds oversize for my Marlin and then bought a pile of Lee size dies that I lapped to different sizes. I have .430 (Original size.), .432, .433 and .4335. They are easy to lap but you still need a boolit large enough to start with. Pushing a .430 boolit through a .433 die will do nothing.
    Ranch Dog molds are usually a little larger for the Marlins and might be a good start. I would call him. They are very accurate from the revolver.

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    If you search the achieves you can find a thread on mould Beagling. A fellow here on our site has a name of Beagle. I think he invented the process.

It merely requires the purchase of some aluminum tape you can get from Home Depot, its the Royal brand. Cut little squares and place them on the inside flats of your bullet moulds between the cavities.

I know it sounds weird, but it really will increase the present diameter bullet cavities to expand the bullets girth to .434 or .432 diameter.

I own a Taurus 441 in .44 special, it has the same over sized cylinder throat chambers of .434 dia. I shoot beagled bullets of .432 diameter and everything is hunky dorrey...works great.

You can easily convert a Lyman sizer/lube die to .432 diameter, I had one reamed out...that and a Star .429 that reamed out to .432. Also have Lee sizer dies that were once .429 but now reamed to .432.

Here is some target work done by those .432 swaged sized bullets.

Jim

Here is the model 441 that did the target...

Last edited by Swagerman; 09-18-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Boolit Master

Sizer Dies

Send a PM to BUCKSHOT or LATHESMITH...they're both making sizer dies for various lubri-sizers. Or go to MAGMA ENGINEERING for STAR dies.

You might look at some of the custom boolit makers like BEARTOOTH BULLETS, etc. to try the larger boolits first.

You do know that playing with alloys can increase the "as cast" diameter of your boolits....I got the LYMAN 427666 up to .430 or more by doing that. The RANCH DOG boolits will go .434+ pretty easily. I'm really liking this boolit in various RUGER single action 44s...the price of gas checks is a PITA...but 5-to-10 of the alox lubed RD boolits at the end of a shooting session will really get the lead out of a barrel!

Look at the group buys for MMA's Keith or BLAMMER'S 250 grain full wadcutter also. They should cast large enough...and in your little CCW gun, a wadcutter wouldn't have to be loaded real hot to be effective. The 200 grain 44 from GLL's group buy sure makes some impressive holes in targets at any velocity....the only problem is POA/POI in RUGER VAQUEROS...that's why I jumped on the 250 grain group buy.

Boolit Man

Large molds

I have a RCBS 245K, and a 429360 that both cast at 433-434 with WW. I guess I need to make up a unlubed dummy round and see if it will work in the seating die, and chamber well also. I thought perhaps the oversized boolit in the case would be too fat for the seater, and maybe the chamber.

Boolit Grand Master

Oversized Molds 44...
    Saeco #443 (.435 220grain flat point)
    Rapine 429-260 (.434 260 grain flatpoint)
    Granted you have to BUY them (Got these 2 off Ebay over the years) whereas the small diameter molds you can BEAGLE ....

Boolit Man
    I may look for that Saeco 220. I have the Lee 214 SWC but it is .430-.431. Thanks. Maybe someone has some experience with the 200 gr?

You all need to look at the Saeco 200gr #446 bullet. It has a .370 meplat , by my measurement, and will leave lots of room for powder in the 44 special case. Plenty of weight to shoot through most targets so why lug more weight? More velocity and larger meplat.

I'm not trying to plug Saeco products. Since I am of the opinion they sell as poor a product as Lyman or RCBS.

Boolit Man
    I was looking at that Saeco 200. I was wondering how fat it casts with WW alloy. I have another Saeco 95gr 32 that is a very nice boolit/mold. Their quality looks nice. If it casts .432 or better, I may go for it.
    Thanks