Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Wild ? Only 1 Reloading Press? My thoughts !

Wild ? Only 1 Reloading Press? My thoughts !

I will be making a new reloading bench and setting up my reloading station in the house since out in the garage at times of 110F it is a tad HOT to concentrate on reloading. But to this end I have 4 reloading presses and I can not figure out why I need more than one now for anything. I have a RCBS RS Press the old big cast iron one a RCBS JR Press and a Lyman T-Mag but here is the kicker lol. I purchased the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press and the Lee is just so darn easy to change turrets and not to mention that the turrets are not all that expensive. So I can set up all of my dies for the Lee on there turrets and swap them out when needed. And that is from the reloading dies to the Lee Size die and universal decap die as well. Oh and the other nice thing about this press is the hole in the center of the ram that takes away the primers when removed instead of all over the bench and the floor lol. But I will admit now and then the Lee does have some jumpers lol.

Le Loup Solitaire

How many presses are needed

Hi, Its almost like asking, "how high is high"? The lee turret is agreeably a very versatile press. Swapping turrets in seconds is very convenient indeed and makes the need for anything else almost pointless. It is also valid to consider having a single station press around for a couple of different tasks like priming, bullet sizing (if one uses the Lee push thru system), case forming, mounting a powder masure or any odd job; this does not disturb the set-up on the turret. But its a personal thing really. Many folks have multiple presses for many different reasons. All of the presses that you mention are certainly good ones with very good reputations. I guess that it all comes down to where you are in the game and what your needs are or will be. LLS

Boolit Grand Master

A reloading bench with only a single press is kind of like a day without sunshine!
    1Shirt!

Boolit Grand Master

Personally I think I would hang on to one "Heavy Duty" press JUST IN CASE you come across a "Heavy Duty" resizing job and do not want to run the risk of harming the Lee. I have a Dillion 550B but still use my 35 year old RCBS Junior for those "Special" tasks.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I never understood the need for turret presses. For pistol (or straight wall rifle) with carbide dies, I might as well just go progressive. For rifle I want to size/deprime, then either tumble or boil in soapy water to remove case lube- meaning I don't really need the turret press as there is a few hours pause (at least) between operations.

That said the Lee is a nice press, my buddy has one, and while I still prefer single stage I see nothing wrong with the classic cast turret at all.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Personally I think I would hang on to one "Heavy Duty" press JUST IN CASE you come across a "Heavy Duty" resizing job and do not want to run the risk of harming the Lee. I have a Dillion 550B but still use my 35 year old RCBS Junior for those "Special" tasks.
    Okay so do people feel that the Lee Classic Cast Turret press is not able or built well enough for resizing or to size Boolits through the Lee sizer?

This just seems odd is why I ask.

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    I'm using a Lee Classic Cast single stage press to not only size, but swage bullets as well.

However, the screw on/off shell holder will have to be reduced by about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in height to accomplish the swaging aspect.

Can furnish pictures on how this is done.

The shell holders can be purchased from Lee, so you don't have to worry about having an original one.

Don't really forsee any problem in doing this on a Lee Turret press.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    When I built my shop and loading room, I installed two benches. I own 4 presses, and made an adapter to accept all of them. A few years ago, I bought a Lee Classic Turret. It is now the only press I use.....it does it all!
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    When I built my shop and loading room, I installed two benches. I own 4 presses, and made an adapter to accept all of them. A few years ago, I bought a Lee Classic Turret. It is now the only press I use.....it does it all!
    454PB THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I was thinking the same thing. I was going to set up one Turret with my universal decap die and on the other ones the Lee sizer dies.

Did I mention I really do like the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press lol.

So the plan at this point is to just have the one Lee Press and a mount for my RCBS Powder Measure.

Banned

wow only one?? so who don't get to shoot this week, the lever? the rifle? or the pistol?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    I never understood the need for turret presses. For pistol (or straight wall rifle) with carbide dies, I might as well just go progressive. For rifle I want to size/deprime, then either tumble or boil in soapy water to remove case lube- meaning I don't really need the turret press as there is a few hours pause (at least) between operations.

That said the Lee is a nice press, my buddy has one, and while I still prefer single stage I see nothing wrong with the classic cast turret at all.
    this is actually done quicker on a press like a dillon 550.
    set up one tool head to de prime, size, bell if desired.......just feed them in and pull the handle, always turning and adding brass. the completed brass comes out the other end....clean them/polish, and then inserrt the second tool head , with a lee deeprime in *** 1, clean the primer hole, prime, on to *** 2 add powder, on to *** 3 seat boolit, and in *** 4, remove bell, crimp.....

yeah it aint how mike dillon designed it , but i like my ammo this way.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    wow only one?? so who don't get to shoot this week, the lever? the rifle? or the pistol?
    The only Who I need to worry about is me lol. And since I have narrowed my shooting arms to just a few it is easy. As I currently only load for the .38Sp/.357Mag of which will shoot from my Marlin 1894 .38/.357P or my Ruger Security Six in .357 or my S&W 686. And then there is the .44Sp/ .44 Mag which I shoot from my 1894 Marlin SS and my S&W 629-1 or the S&W 629 Classic. So I have pistol and rifle combo's covered and then there is my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 THUMPER lol.

I understand the Dillon 550 is a great machine but to be honest I would probably go with the Hornady Progressive if I was to pick one. But for the amount of ammo I load and the fact I play with the load some my Lee Classic Cast Turret Press handles those chores very well. As I normally do not load more than 100 rounds if that at any one time.

The reason is I do not have a place to just go and plink lol. So if I shoot anything it is only to try new loads and to try and find out what shoots best and try and improve on the ammo and the rifle so when I do get to hunt I will know I can depend on the gun and the ammo to take down anything I am shooting at well.

I am a HUGE believer in a humane kill of any animal. So I try and make sure all of my equipment is up to snuff along with mentally being ready for the task at hand and to make sure of not only my shot but also the surroundings of where the shot will be so I do not place myself or others in danger.

Thank You everyone for all of your thoughts.

I have tried but I do not think I can improve on this load only myself lol. As the groups at 100 yards are 1/2 in or less center to center depending on me. This target shows two groups 2 shots at the top and 3 shots at the bottom from my sight correction but I pulled one that went into the Bull. This load is for the .357 1894 Marlin with 180Gr Hornady XTP/HP with 13.Ogr of W-296 and CCI-550 mag primer.

This load is from my Marlin GS 45-70 of which I am still trying to work on even though I do not think I can do much better. It is less than 3/4 center to center group at 100 yards. It is not center as I was trying loads for groups. This load is 350Gr Hornady J/SP with 53Gr of H-322 and Fed 210 Primer.

For those that do not know this is what the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press looks like.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 09-19-2008 at 01:59 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I had almost all of my reloading equipment stolen and I have more than 1 now after having to fight with the insurance company to get HALF of what was stolen. You say you have 2 RS/JR presses? Do what I do; put the sizer die in one, and prime and seat the boolits in the other.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Boolit Master

My Rockchucker does rifle duty and my Lee Classic Cast does handgun duty.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar
    I sure do like the single stage Lee. I just ain't got one of the turrets yet . I understand the loading a bunch of different stuff I currently load 14 different loads/cartridges for IHMSA , And I still got two more kids waiting to shoot centerfire events . What I need is a uncle at Remchester ammunition or Lake city. LOL .. Good luck James

Banned

I love the 550B and now the LEE classic turret, but single stage presses are so handy to keep on your bench even as a great powder measure stand etc,.

Boolit Master

My only issue with the Lee Turret press, is, The powder measure is too tight to the dies. I have to remove the die to change plates.
    I had originally thought of getting plates for every caliber. Just swap out the plate, and bingo.
    The powder measure recquires me setting up the powder die every time.

Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    My only issue with the Lee Turret press, is, The powder measure is too tight to the dies. I have to remove the die to change plates.
    I had originally thought of getting plates for every caliber. Just swap out the plate, and bingo.
    The powder measure recquires me setting up the powder die every time.
    Lee has a stand off for the powder measure to help with that.

Lee Auto-Disk Riser
    The Lee Auto-Disk Riser allows use of other brands of dies that have extended adjustingscrews and provides clearance for the Lee Safety Prime.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 09-29-2008 at 01:50 AM.