Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: Who is king of the 32s?

Voters
248. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32 S&W Long

24 9.68%
  • 32 H&R Mag

71 28.63%
  • 327 Federal Mag

80 32.26%
  • 32-20 WCF

61 24.60%
  • Other

15 6.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: King of the 32s?

Boolit Grand Master

Ah, but I have thoroughly had that "religious experience" with the 327.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I have one 327, a Ruger GP100. I bought it several years ago because I got an exceptional deal on it. I have a fired a total 50 rounds of Federal 327 through it. Everything else has been 32 Long or 32 Mag. If I ever decide to hot rod it again, I have 50 once fired cases to wear out.

Boolit Man
    I must admit that after owning a .327 SP-101 4" for a while, I kind of wish I had bought two guns, a 3" SP-101 or similar and a 5-6" GP100. The 4" is a little long for carry and a little light for tougher loads, IMO. Does anyone have first hand experience with the Taurus 327?

Boolit Grand Master
    To me, a K frame Smith or a Ruger Blackhawk provide the ideal platform to manage the 327 FM, the J frame S&W and Single Six handle the 32 H&R nicely, and even my tiny little I frame Smith snubby is comfortable with 32 S&W Longs. Of course you can always go down, but not up, so my “Project 616” eats all three with gusto.

If I could bring myself to rechamber my Buckeye Special 32 combo gun’s 32 H&R cylinder to 327 FM, or ever get around to having a 32-20 cylinder cut for Project 616 either or both of these would be “do it all” 32 revolvers. YMMV!

Froggie

PS Tejano, you have made my argument for having a medium to large frame revolver in 327. For everyday casual use, you can shoot everything down to “cat sneeze” 32 S&W L loads. Then if you want to wake the dead with fire breathing, ground shaking loads, you can put in ear plugs and add muffs and have at it!
    Last edited by Green Frog; 01-06-2023 at 01:31 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3803.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	308918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	308919Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	308920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3768 (1).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	308921

These are my .327's.

My favorite is the SS7 7 1/2", but all of them are nice, now. I will say that new Rugers in the last decade were pretty poor. Both the stainless SS7's had to be worked on to be serviceable, and the SP-101 had a trigger that wouldn't have seemed out of place on a 39.95 Iver Johnson. I bought a spring kit, from M-carbo, IIRC, and that made a world of difference on that gun. I sent the 7.5 incher back to Ruger, but the 5.5 inch gun I repaired myself.
    Only the Talo 4.62 inch gun was what I would consider as good right from the box. But I don't like the Big Dot sights on that one, so one of these days I will get around to replacing them.

I had a 4 5/8 inch Blackhawk which was very accurate, but much too heavy for the caliber. It would just about work as a boat anchor in a gale. I sold it to my brother who wanted it more than I did, with no regrets.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I'd vote for the .32 H&R...superb accuracy in my Ruger Single Sixes and S&W M-16, economical with 100 gr RCBS 31-98 LSWC's, with plenty of smack for close in predators or a leisurely day punching holes in paper.

Low recoil in my guns with moderate noise level also make it a great choice for introducing new shooters to center-fire revolvers and a delight for seasoned six-gunners.

For more bullet weight and speed, I step up to a .357, for less, the choice is one of my .22's. One poster here on CB's referred to the .32 H&R as his 'reloadable' .22...an apt description IMHO. Best regards, Rod

Last edited by Rodfac; 01-25-2023 at 08:21 PM.
    Rod

Boolit Grand Master
    Every time a thread opens up about 32s, whether loading, different models, or any other variation on the theme, there seems to be a great deal of interest. When you go to gun shows or stores, ammo available or even guns themselves command a premium if they’re available at all.

I wonder whether it would be worthwhile to organize some sort of an interest group along the lines of of the “44 Associates” of another era. Perhaps we could call ourselves the “32 Aficionados” or some such. So what do you think? I’ve bookmarked this thread since my PM box fills up so fast. I’ll respond to you via a PM if you express interest and give you my email so we can establish a list.

So, whuduyathink?
    Green Frog
    Last edited by Green Frog; 01-24-2023 at 03:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodfac View Post
    I'd vote for the .32 H&R...superb accuracy in my Ruger Single Sixes and S&W M-16, economical with 100 gr RCBS 31-98 LSWC's, with plenty of smack for close in predators or a leisurely day punching holes in paper.

Low recoil in my guns with moderate noise level also make it a great choice for introducing new shooters to center-fire revolvers and a delight for seasoned six-gunners.

For more bullet weight and speed, I step up to a .357, for less, the choice is one of my .22's. One poster here on CB's referred to it as his 'reloadable' .22...an apt description IMHO. Best regards, Rod

That birds head revolver is beautiful. Is that a Uberti?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Every time a thread opens up about 32s, whether loading, different models, or any other variation on the theme, there seems to be a great deal of interest. When you go to gun shows or stores, ammo available or even guns themselves command a premium if they’re available at all.

I wonder whether it would be worthwhile to organize some sort of an interest group along the lines of of the “44 Associates” of another era. Perhaps we could call ourselves the “32 Aficionados” or some such. So what do you think? I’ve bookmarked this thread since my PM box fills up so fast. I’ll respond to you via a PM if you express interest and give you my email so we can establish a list.

So, whuduyathink?
    Green Frog
    It depends on where you are. Lots of 32 fans in Aberdeen. Even at the worst of the shortage there was a couple choices of 327 federal ammo, and at prices similar or less than 357 magnum. We had that Hammerdown load in stock before it was ever available online. I haven't looked for 32 s&w, but I have seen 32 s&w long. 32 h&r has been on the shelf every time I've looked. Every store seems to have 32 ACP.

Boolit Grand Master
    megasurpermagnum you just listed more 32 ammo in one sentence than I've seen for sale here in VA in the last 18 months! Do you guys still have that great pheasant hunting out there? Maybe I could use that as an excuse to come out there, then smuggle a carload of ammo back to Virginia. Wait... you didn't mention prices. Does all of that ammo have bullets made of unobtanium?

Boolit Grand Master
    ^^^^+1. If I didn't reload, my 32's would be just about dead except for the 32 ACP's. I did pick up a couple of boxes for them last year. But otherwise, nada. I have seen more 30 Super Carry than 32 ammo--6 boxes.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Man

So, whuduyathink?
    Green Frog
    Keep me informed!
    "The thirty-too-much-fun shooters"

Boolit Man
    I think I've had my SP101 for four years, and I can literally count on one hand the number of times I was able to buy .327FM ammo off the shelf. I've seen 32-long and 32ACP fairly often, but have never seen 32H&R. I thought I was just rural, now I feel like the dark side of the moon....

Boolit Grand Master

megasurpermagnum you just listed more 32 ammo in one sentence than I've seen for sale here in VA in the last 18 months! Do you guys still have that great pheasant hunting out there? Maybe I could use that as an excuse to come out there, then smuggle a carload of ammo back to Virginia. Wait... you didn't mention prices. Does all of that ammo have bullets made of unobtanium?
    I don't buy much for ammo. The only thing I really buy is the Speer Gold Dot 100gr in 327 federal. Last I remember it was around $34 for a 20 round box. I think the 127gr Hammerdown was $37 a 20 round box. I haven't seen the Federal AE in a while. There was one more, but I can't remember what it was. Possibly that Federal 100gr with the Swift A-frame bullet. I have not seen the new Federal 104gr HST yet, that's what I'd really like to try.

I honestly can't remember what the other 32's prices were. They seemed inline with what I've seen elsewhere. The only reloading bullets I've seen have been 85gr and 100gr Hornady XTP's. This was all at Sodak Sports. Unfortunately primer prices are just as high there as online, but they have always had them. I haven't seen a bare shelf yet.

Lots of pheasants here. There's nothing but pheasant farms and dentist offices in Aberdeen. Tons of them get released by the farms so a lot of them aren't really wild birds. By late season they are as smart as anything. I don't hunt them much, I'd rather have duck.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    .327 Federal Magnum hands down! Besides being able to shoot the Long and the H&R, ammo is available. Can you find any 32/20 ? If you do you might have a stroke at the price .
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    .327 Federal Magnum hands down! Besides being able to shoot the Long and the H&R, ammo is available. Can you find any 32/20 ? If you do you might have a stroke at the price .
    I don't think I've ever seen a 32-20 round for sale in my lifetime, but it must exist since it is still fairly well known. Brass isn't all that hard to find for it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mega super magnum, with all the other 32 cal handgun cartridges available there in SD and its usefulness in both carbines and revolvers, I’m surprised you don’t see 32-20 all that often. Although it was first loaded for long guns, the ability it had to be used in revolvers as well made it the longest lasting of the hyphenated calibers around here. I bet that if you surveyed a few SD old timers, especially in the more rural areas, you would find a surprising number of 32-20 revolvers still hanging out, ready to be used. I see 32-20 ammo at gun shops and shows in VA about as often as 32 H&R and 327 Fed Mag.

At this point, although I still own a few 32-20 revolvers, I must admit that when I want to snort flame and make the ground shake, one of my 327s will be more likely to get the nod (to acknowledge the thread title, “King of the 32s”). In fact I plan to thin the herd a bit this Spring of 32-20s as well as a couple of my 32 S&W Longs on I frames. At my age I can only shoot so many guns and I only have so many grands to leave them to.

BTW, will the person who PM’ed me to “enroll” in our proposed 32 group send me another? I sent you an email but it bounced. I had unfortunately deleted your original PM.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I haven't see .32acp for a long time. Heck, I haven't seen .357mag around here in a long time. Some .38spl. Minimal .45acp. More .30 carry than any of those. And there is enough 9mm to fill a dump truck.

Boolit Grand Master
    AKtinman, it's your address I seem to have entered wrong in my email, because it bounced.
    Charlie the Frog

Boolit Buddy
    AKtinman, it's your address I seem to have entered wrong in my email, because it bounced.
    Charlie the Frog
    email sent.

Like you, I'm downsizing, though my .32 tribe has been growing
    Last edited by AKtinman; 01-26-2023 at 10:26 AM. Reason: remove email

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast