Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: totally confused over metric

Boolit Master
    metric is for people that have to count on their fingers. you think it is bad for linear measurement. try volume a 301 307 and 302 engine are all 5.0 liters and not one part interchanges

Boolit Master
    The nomenclature is rarely exact. You are taking the designations too literally.
    They are no different than most US calibers. You have to know the details because the nomenclature or names are not usually exact.
    So the 7.62X54R Russian round is basically the same round as the 7.62X53R Finn round.

And the 7.65 Mauser uses the same bullet diameter as the 7.7 Jap and the 7.62 Russian.
    So your issue is expecting different rounds to match literally to the nomenclature and they don't.
    How about a .35 Whelen and a .358 Win? They use the same bullets. So does a .350 Rem Mag.
    Some rounds are named for the hole that is drilled before the barrel is rifled. Some are named for the groove diameter after rifling or after the bullet diameter.

The .357 Mag pistol round uses the same bullets as a .38 Special which are .357. However the .38 Special case does measure .38. The bullet does not.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Math was never my strong point in life but some of this metric stuff is confusing to me an ignorant old man! A 8mm mauser bore is .3106. Ok I get that. Now a 8.15x46 is bore
    .2992! I assumed this 8.15 would be the 8mm of .3106 plus 15. But according to the book a 8.15 is bore of .2992! I know they are right and I am confused. Any body willing to explain this to me? Go slow!
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Way off topic, but I’ve heard that some of the old black powder loads (38, 44, 45) were named based on the diameter of the loaded case at the mouth. No idea if there is any truth to it.
    I think it actually does go back to the cap & ball days and the industrial revolution.

For example: The 36cal. Navy Colt that had sort of a .357 inch dia. bore.
    When cartridges came along, they called them .38s, then the 38. spec. just for sales and advertising purposes.
    Then the .357Mag--for the same reason. .357Mag sounds more cool than 'longer and more powerful .38Spec.'

In each case, as the new cartridges came along, they could make the weapons for them with a minimum of retooling.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123