WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marty's Buckshot Molds

Boolit Grand Master

Marty's Buckshot Molds

I found a brand new maker of buckshot molds, and made right in my home state! They are a little expensive, but look to be absolute top quality. Check out that cool toggle and gear hinge. It looks like he will make any size shot or ball, even up to .75". I swear, bullet casting has been the worst thing for my savings account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPC6YPwfofY
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 05-23-2018 at 03:02 AM.

Boolit Master

Pricey is right. Things like this cause an internal struggle. I want that and its priced about right. You want to support the small guys. Then I look at my budget, double check my wallet and life goals. Then go I go cast some more buck shot with my Lee double cavity round ball mold that cost my 20 bucks and try not to think about it as watch Cold Case or Forensic Files.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    FWIW you can get a Lee 6 cavity in .380” which is 0000 Buck from Track of the Wolf for about $60 and it has a sprue plate . You can also get it in .395” which is pretty much 00000 Buck . I suspect you can do the same for #1 , 2 , 3 and 0 .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

cast an hour and spend the week cutting the nibs off? beautiful work but no thanks.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master
    The price would be fine if it was not necessary to cut apart each piece from the runner and have a rather large flat spot remaining. I suppose they will shoot fine at short range, but it seems to negate all the other precision machining.

I bought the Lee mold but have not used it. Currently using S&B buckshot shells will that I get for $7 a box of 25. Not worth casting or reloading at the price for the few I need. BTW, Midway puts those shells on sale about twice a year. I have been buying them for the local coyote hunters.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Not too much available there at the moment - as has been the case for over a year. Only a .250 version shows as available. I have tried their contact email with no response after a year
    Being human is not for sissies.

I agree, that looks like a pretty large sprue to trim form each ball. Maybe it is needed because of how it fills?

Kraken Fan #69

Banned

Looks like Marty took over Sharpshooter or ripped off the design. The 6 cavity .310 Lee Mold from Track of the Wolf is the way to go for Buckshot.
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...2/1/LEE-310-6C
    Mihec just ran a .678 and a .730 which is the other way to go big. Or a Lee .600 mold for a Tri-Ball load. The sprue plate makes a superior projectile.
    I wish Marty well and may get some of his molds. But the sprue standing proud is suboptimal.
    Just like the Lyman molds.
    I have a lot of Sharpshooter molds. In everything from #4 to full bore.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    cast an hour and spend the week cutting the nibs off? beautiful work but no thanks.
    Yes, this is where the 6 cavity Lee mold outshines the others!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

It's definitely not a rip off of sharpshooter molds. No doubt there is a lot of cutting to be done, but you had to cut all the shot from a sharpshooter mold too. I wouldn't order one in BB, but anything #3 and bigger should be no problem.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Looks like Marty took over Sharpshooter or ripped off the design. The 6 cavity .310 Lee Mold from Track of the Wolf is the way to go for Buckshot.
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...2/1/LEE-310-6C
    Mihec just ran a .678 and a .730 which is the other way to go big. Or a Lee .600 mold for a Tri-Ball load. The sprue plate makes a superior projectile.
    I wish Marty well and may get some of his molds. But the sprue standing proud is suboptimal.
    Just like the Lyman molds.
    I have a lot of Sharpshooter molds. In everything from #4 to full bore.
    If, and I say if, enough readers of this and other forums would contact Track of the Wolf asking them to add specific buckshot diameter 6 cavity Lee molds to their line and why...

Quote Originally Posted by KrakenFan69 View Post
    I agree, that looks like a pretty large sprue to trim form each ball. Maybe it is needed because of how it fills?

Kraken Fan #69
    That's probably the reason. A large sprue is necessary to avoid a dimple in the ball. Molten lead shrinks about 5-6% when solidifying and with a small sprue the inlet freezes before the ball and can't draw lead from the sprue to compensate for the shrinkage.

I made a bunch of buckshot molds for a group buy years ago. Using very small inlets the balls could be snapped from the stem using no other tooling than a pair of gloves. I never tested the bucks myself and have no idea how much the roundness (or lack of it) will influence the patterns.
    Cap'n Morgan

Banned

"It's definitely not a rip off of sharpshooter molds."

I fail to see any significant difference. What are the differences?
    Not a big deal either way.

Boolit Master

The hinge is the main difference - Go to Marty's Arms website and look at the video showing the manufacture of the molds. Moot point though since they are not really in production yet
    Last edited by square butte; 05-23-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

As far as I can tell, the Sharpshooter molds were made with blanks bought by Do-It Molds (fishing molds). Their hinge was just a couple roll pins, and the cavities were stacked on each other. This new mold has a totally different hinge, individual cavities, the guy even mills his own blocks and handles. The only thing similar is that they both do not use sprue plates. Not that it matters at all, but it's about like saying MP molds is a rip off of NOE. I'm just glad to see somebody making buckshot molds. I was bummed when I was ready to buy a few, and the next week Sharpshooter quit making them. I'm thinking of seeing about a combo #F (.220") and .315". I already have a #2 buck from Sharpshooter, then a 000 from Lee should round out my buckshot collection. I could get a .310" from Lee, but I've got one of those dumb ideas to try some round balls in my 327 federal.

Well I had been wishing I had bought a .20 mold from sharpshooter back when they made them.

So I just pulled the trigger on a .20 mold from Marty.

Me I don't mind clipping sprue's. If you use the right set of nippers at the right location you don't get much of a flat spot.

Mostly these will be used to make my own airgun pellets for my Sheridan Blue Streak.

The Sharpshooter .22 cal mold is the most accurate out of my .22 caliber air rifle of all pellets I've tried.

I LIKE being self sufficient. And I WANTED a .20 cal round ball for my blue streak. In my case, worth the cost.

We'll see how to mold pours and shoots, but that will be another story for another day.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Well that is a bit pricey but in all honesty i wouldn't turn on a machine for $95 when i was working. I know mass production brings the price down . I think the hinge is way ahead of the sharp shooter . I had a lot of problems with the sharp shooter hinge freezing up and finally getting loose. Had to install line up pins. You are right about having to trim a lot i watch tv and do it. But i see it has the same problem as the sharp shooter and that is the handle. It gets very hot after a while. I had to put a spacer inbetween the mold and handle so there was an air space so the wood handle didn't get hot as fast. And talk about trimming i got a #4 buck sharp shooter.

I had got a mold from Sharpshooter of 00 Buckshot and works for me. I did some testing with my 410 with the buckshot of not roll the shot and roll the shot to take off the sharp edges and see that the roll shot pattern good but the none roll shot did not pattern at all . I also had got there T shot mold but did not spend much time to cast with it.It looks to work when shot is not able to get and it is rough times. Glad I did get that molds. I did get some Lee buckshot molds also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

USMC 77, USRA 79

Nice looking mould.. good find MSM... defiantly not a sharp shooter design other then at a glance at profile. Major difference as I have one of those Sharp Shooter types.

I appreciate you keeping your eyes open...

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned

I rewatched the entire video
    Impressive
    Clearly the hinges are really nice, as is the entire mold
    Again, I wish him well
    I prefer a sprue plate over the Lee/Sharpshooter/Marty style gang-molds
    The MP molds turned out really nice
    Also the HM2 molds turned out really nice
    Last edited by jmort; 06-17-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast