Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reboring

Very interesting.

I've got a 7.35 Carcano set back waiting for the opportunity to rebarrel to 35.

What I had in mind was to simply neck up the 7.35x51 brass to 35 and have the equivalent of a 35 Rem, plus keep the ability to load six with the original clips. (Using 35 Rem brass I can only load 5.)

However the muzzle end of a Carcano steps down to a diameter that is probably too small for a 35. Might be able to take a .33 or .323 though. Certainly worth a call to Jesse on the possibility.

It sure would be a shot in the arm for Carcano owners wanting to shoot cast.

Nels

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=broomhandle;395301]Hi Sir,

I have used Redmans twice I'm pleased as punch!
    He is the guy that supplys most liners to the gunsmithing trade!

Redmans may be good on rebores but he is not the best on liners. Redmans liners are button rifled using aircraft tube. Have had a few that the rifling is visible on the OD. T.J.'s liners are hammer forged. More calibers available and better rifling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    358wcf:

I sent a 308 WIn. Weatherby Vanguard to Jesse in OR about 2 weeks ago to re-bore to 358 Win. Received the barreled action 2 days ago. Mine has 3 groove rifling, lands are .005 high with a bore of .3580. The bore is mirror smooth. I specified a 1 - 14 twist. I pushed a very tight patch down the bore and could not detect any loose or tight spots. It felt very consistent all the way down the bore. My scope is a Burris 1.75 X 5 with a plex reticle. Just about an ideal rifle for Alabama hardwood bottoms in pursuit of whitetails.

Haven't shot the rifle yet. It will be my " work - horse " hunting rifle this fall, I'll be up and down tree stands and riding 4 wheeler's with this one. The synthetic stock lends itself well to " hard hunting". My .358 rounds that I have on hand feed from the mag box like water running through screen wire.

This is my 3rd 358 Win.- - - - A great round ! ! A lot of people just don't fully understand the potential of the 358 Win.

Thanks,
    Ben

You sent the barreled action to Jesse? So I don't have to remove the barrel myself...... hmmmmmm, I would really like a 700 action vs the savage. You've got me thinking now hehe thats scarey.

Ben you still shooting that old 358?
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Grand Master
    It will be one of the last to leave me ! !

Fantastic rifle.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Since I see that this old thread got resurrected: I have recently had two old ones drop in my lap, so to speak. Since they haven't cost me anything I was thinking of reboring to make something new & exciting. One is a sporterized German 8mm mauser (Circa WWII) & a Marlin 336 30-30 ( circa late 1970's).

Can these be rebored into anything exciting & boolit oriented?
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not certain about the 8 mm ?

The 30 / 30 can be re-bored to .35 cal. 30/35.

Ballistics pretty much identical to the 35 Remington.

More details here :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...hp/t-2819.html

Another thumbs up for Jesse at JES Reboring. I just got my 1894 Winchester saddle carbine back this week from him, a .30WCF sewer pipe to .38-55. Beautiful job, fast turn around, and a great guy to deal with!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Since I see that this old thread got resurrected: I have recently had two old ones drop in my lap, so to speak. Since they haven't cost me anything I was thinking of reboring to make something new & exciting. One is a sporterized German 8mm mauser (Circa WWII) & a Marlin 336 30-30 ( circa late 1970's).

Can these be rebored into anything exciting & boolit oriented?
    That Mauser would make a dandy 35 Whelen. I've got an old sporterized 8mm mauser that I'm considering doing that with. It all depends on how it shoots.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    The Marlin can get bored and rifled to .375 and possibly to .412 if it has the correct diameter.
    I have 2 336's bored and rifled at .412. One is a 414 Supermag and the other a .405 JES which is a .412 - 444. Now that will make a 336 sing ! Even the 414 SM will move a 265 grainer at 1950 fps.
    I would not be surprised to learn the Mauser can get bored and rifled to 375 Whelen. I have a 1903 JES did waiting for my return to get shot.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Jesse rebored my Marlin 30-30 to 375 Win and is currently doing my son's 30-06 to 35 Whelen. Yesterday Jesse said his turn-around time was 1 week. Now that is fast and I know he does good work. Can't beat that for $225!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12