RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reboring

Boolit Master

Reboring

OK guys and gals, I need your input. I am trying to find a GOOD barrel person to re-bore a Glenfield 30 (made by Marlin, the 336) from 30 caliber to 35 caliber. I have found one source but I am thinking that a couple or more of you have some knowledge of good people to do this.
    In case your wondering, I picked up a pretty nice Glenfield this week for a project I have been hankerin' to do for a while. I want to build a 35/30-30 and one of our members has been gracious enough to answer my many questions. I DO NOT want to replace the current barrel, I want to have it rebored. SO how about sharing your combined knowledge of vendors for this project? Attacked is a pic of the Glenfield. Oh yeah, I paid the princely sum of $185 for the project rifle.
    Last edited by badgeredd; 07-30-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    I believe Dan Pederson at classic gunworks does reboring. Some of the folks on the ASSRA web site have good things to say about his work. John Taylor does work like this. Hope this helps. Frank

Boolit Master
    Jesse Ocumpaugh
    715 South 6th St.
    Cottage Grove, OR 97424

Phone: (541) 942-1342
    Fax: (541) 942-7533

Boolit Master

Classic Barrel & Gunworks
    339 Grove Av.
    Prescott, Az. 86301
    http://cutrifle.com/
    928-772-4060

Redmans Rifling and Reboring
    Randall Redman
    189 Nichols Rd.
    Omak, Wa. 98841
    509-826-5512

Siegrist Gun Shop
    Al Siegrist
    8752 Turtle Rd.
    Whittemore, Mi. 48770
    989-873-3929

Starlight Enterprises
    Randy Selby
    PO Box 221
    Wapiti Wy. 82450
    307-587-3581

Sonny France
    4932 Grandview
    Okemos Mi 48864
    517-349-4532

Norm Johnson
    243 4th Av NW
    Turtle Lake ND 58575
    701-448-9188

Taylor Machine ,John Taylor
    14119 Military Rd E.
    Puyallup, WA 98374
    john@johntaylormachine.com
    253-445-4073
    http://www.johntaylormachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Sir,

I have used Redmans twice I'm pleased as punch!
    He is the guy that supplys most liners to the gunsmithing trade!

He rebored a shot out C-96 Mauser back to 7.63 x 25 Mauser and you cannot tell it has been reworked.

He also did a second C-96 Mauser to 9 mm x 19 it shoots dead on. this was a rebore. He reamed the barrel & recut the rifling!
    I want a quality job. I am a HAPPY to recommend him.
    He has a website now.

You can get the job done cheaper but the quality of the job suffers

Best to you,
    broomhandle

Boolit Master
    +1 for Redmans. M86 Win 38/56 to 50/110. Excellent work.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Buddy

35 caliber rebore!

Try JES gunsmithing, in Cottage Grove, OR
    You can find him on Google-
    He lists the 35/30-30 as an option on his site.
    Let me know how it turns out-- I have an unfired Marlin 336 that might end up going this route!

35 calibers are just plain useful!!!!

358wcf

Boolit Grand Master
    358wcf:

I sent a 308 WIn. Weatherby Vanguard to Jesse in OR about 2 weeks ago to re-bore to 358 Win. Received the barreled action 2 days ago. Mine has 3 groove rifling, lands are .005 high with a bore of .3580. The bore is mirror smooth. I specified a 1 - 14 twist. I pushed a very tight patch down the bore and could not detect any loose or tight spots. It felt very consistent all the way down the bore. My scope is a Burris 1.75 X 5 with a plex reticle. Just about an ideal rifle for Alabama hardwood bottoms in pursuit of whitetails.

Haven't shot the rifle yet. It will be my " work - horse " hunting rifle this fall, I'll be up and down tree stands and riding 4 wheeler's with this one. The synthetic stock lends itself well to " hard hunting". My .358 rounds that I have on hand feed from the mag box like water running through screen wire.

This is my 3rd 358 Win.- - - - A great round ! ! A lot of people just don't fully understand the potential of the 358 Win.

Thanks,
    Ben

Last edited by Ben; 07-10-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you don't own a .35 rifle, you haven't experienced the best of the best for cast boolit shooting.

Two .358 Win Mausers in the stable, plus a M8 Remington .35.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    If you don't own a .35 rifle, you haven't experienced the best of the best for cast boolit shooting.
    Last edited by Ben; 07-10-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Amen. Actually, 32 thru 37 is prolly the best bore sizes to make accuracy (using smokeless powder). My belief is that it has to do with current component compositions. Notice that the 35 is about dead center of this spread. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master
    Felix , I definitely think you're on to something there..........

Ben

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    358wcf:

I sent a 308 WIn. Weatherby Vanguard to Jesse in OR about 2 weeks ago to re-bore to 358 Win. Received the barreled action 2 days ago. . . .
    What was the total cost, please???

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yeah, Ben, the smaller the bore using BR guns, the more accurate, in almost a straight line, the "total system" becomes when leaving out ambient conditions. That was proven without doubt by the warehouse experiments back in the early 80's. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    What was the total cost, please???
    Junior,

I've sent a Mauser 8mm barrel and the Marlin barrel that started this thread to Jesse. His work is BEAUTIFUL! Both of mine are 1-15 twist and 3 groove rifling. TOTAL cost including shipping was $255 each. He cut the neck area for no additional cost; the barrels were for the 35/30-30 and my 35x60 (35 caliber with a 8x57 long neck case made from 30-06 brass). His cost is $225 and I removed all sights etc. He has my vote when it comes to price vs. quality.

Edd

PS...It took a total of 12 days and 13 days for the barrel to be back to me.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ditto to Edd's remarks.

Junior :

The package deal is $225 and Jesse pays the return shipping.

Thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The 35 Lever Power has always fascinated me, but I have also had a hankering for a 788 Remington in 30/30, rebored to 35-30/30 like Col harris has on the cover of his cast boolit bible.

You can't get barrels re-bored in Australia now.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master
    I shot my Weatherby Vanguard 358 Win. today, ( Jesse in OR did the reboring work on the barrel , conversion of a factory 308 Win. rifle over to 358 Win. ). My bore is .3580. 3 groove barrel, lands are .005 high, 1 - 14 twist. ( He usually does a 1-15 twist in his .35 cal barrels , but since I was planning on shooting my 358009, I asked for 1-14 twist )

I shot the Lyman 358009 sized .359 dia. weighing 292 grs. with lube and g/c. Needless to say I'm very pleased with Jesse's work.:

Last edited by Ben; 07-25-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Add info about barrel twist

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Whaddaya think, Ben, are you going to like that?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    waksupi :

My 1st rifle to be re-bored. My cousin also has a 338/06 and a 338 Fed. Ruger # 1 re-bored by Jesse .

All three rifles will SHOOT ! !

A fairly inexpensive way ( $225 ) to take a bolt action rifle in .30 cal. and move up to a 35 cal.rifle.

I'm IMPRESSED ! !

Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast