Boolit Master

~Primers for Small Arms Cartridges~ by Albert & Oelberg

"Primers for Small Arms Cartridges"
    Formulas - Suggestions - Theory
    for
    Handloaders and Experimenters
    by M.J. Albert & H.F. Oelberg
    (c) March, 1944

This is the little self-published "book" of 35sum pages I got at an auction in Indiana in a box of gun books. I'm flabergasted at the information in this book. The manufacture of priming compounds for small arms due to shortages or restrictions from war time. As well, the manufacture of powder, both semi-smokeless and smokeless. Included are instructions for rehabing the primer cup and anvil, annealing the primer cup if necessary. Both corrosive and non-corrosive priming compounds are covered.

For example, in chapter 1 "Primers for Igniting High Pressure Rifle Powders in Small Arms Cartridges".

1- Federal Explosives license for purchase and use must be secured.
    2- Barium Nitrate, two parts
    3- Lead Nitrate, one part
    4- Phosphorus, one part
    5- Aluminum (powdered), one part

The chapter gives instruction for measuring using an empty .22 LR case, which equals "1 part". It give instruction as to mixing on a tinned lid (syrup lid, etc). There's about 2 pages for each of the different compounds and it seems to cover everything including testing...... a little bit hit with a hammer = explodes - is good.

Wet versus dry mixing are explained. Explosive versus heat detonation is explained. Test charts using .30-06 against Frankfort Arsenal GI ammo.

The next chapter uses a different formula:
    1- Potassium Chlorate
    2- Sulfur
    3- Lead Nitrate
    4- Antimony Sulfide
    Says this one is "corrosive".

There are 5 different priming compound formulas listed. One is listed as "Senior Grade Mixture" not for beginners. Also has a chapter on making muzzle loader caps from scratch including the cup.

Priming compound measurements in the primer cup are gauged as 1/2, 5/8 or 3/4 full and explains using the different amounts for igniting powders for different applications.

Apparently there was a Volume 2 of this book with instruction on making the tools, punches, dies for making primer cups, home made reloading tools, etc etc.

One of the propellant formulas for semi-smokeless powder:
    Listed as "laboratory batches":

Potassium Nitrate 3 grams
    Lead Nitrate 3 grams
    Barium Nitrate 2 grams
    Liquid Glue .250 grams
    Carbon (Willow charcoal) 1.250 grams

For "smokeless, flashless under load"":

Potassium Nitrate 2.1 grams
    Ammonium Nitrate 7.14 grams
    Willow Charcoal 2.10 grams
    Lead Nitrate 1.720 grams

It shows a chart for a Gewehr 98 8x57 Mauser fired with a No.6 formula primer, 3/4 load, and using various home made powders and black powder to Du Pont 4320 and lists the bullet impact below point-of-aim to illustrate the relative power of the load.

I've never seen such an interesting explanation of primer manufacture, or powder manufacture. I did an internet search on these two authors and there are two references. Hard to believe. I have no interest in mixing priming compound but learned a lot just from reading it. Don't know what I'm going to do with this yet. If you have or know where Vol. 2 is I'd be interested.

In the forward of the book by the authors they made quite a statement about free enterprise and freedom. I don't know what the world was like in 1944 but today they'd probably be categorized in some despicable manner like a *patriot* for what they believe. They asked that the information in the book remain within the United States. If I end up offering this CD for sale (token amount) it would be US only to repect the wishes of the authors. For those of you in Canada, Oz or New Zealand know that I have zero bias towards you. My grandfather was English-Canadian soldier in 1916 in Toronto. I don't discriminate against cousins but I have to respect the author's wishes in order to keep my karma squeaky clean <yeah.. right!>.

These couple pages attached are typical. They look a little fuzzy on my monitor but on the CD they're sharp.

The copyright for the original work is expired.
    The digitized version in PDF format belongs to:

"Dutchman"

(c)van den Brink 2008
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Primers-Intro.jpg   Primers-Intro2.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Would be very interested in a CD if you do offer some!
    Thanks Aaron

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    There was a somewhat similar, but much more amateurish, mimeographed booklet circulated during the Korean War primer shortages. It dealt mostly with reforming and re-assembling used primers, with match-head compound as the ignition source. I didn't get a chance to make a copy of the one a friend had; probably just as well.

A "Tweeker" down the road a few years back had a pipe nipple full of match-heads let go when he tried to pinch off the ends in a vise. Fingers all over the place! That straightened him out for sure; he cleaned up his act and is now a successful and respected local restauranteur. Sometime Darwin loses the bet!

Fg
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be interested in a copy of that CD also.

Red face

Another guy interested in a copy.
    Some of those recipies seem to be similiar (IIRC) to the ones I used for 'rocket fuel' when I was in high school . Maybe that explains why so many of my rockets blew up !

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Dutchman;395255]" I don't know what the world was like in 1944 but today they'd probably be categorized in some despicable manner l
    A lot less restrictions and most minded their own business!

Boolit Master

thanks
    Dutch
    Last edited by Dutchman; 02-07-2021 at 05:25 PM.

I have been looking for this book for over a year. As far as I can tell there is only one copy in a library, at Ft. Sill OK. Which i can't get via ILL. I already made most of the tooling to draw primer cups a while ago when I designed a gas-check maker for work. I just need to change some sizes, but the two are almost the same.

I also have a copy of hatcher's notebook which covers some of the "patent" priming mixtures in use at the time. Most of them are corrosive or require exotic explosives (tri-nitro-resorcinate). Typically, anything that uses potassium perchlorate is considered "corrosive" I would be willing to bet even something that uses potassium nitrate may be considered corrosive, but likely less so. Any time you end up with potassium chloride as a byproduct, you can bet it's going to be corrosive. As the chloride salt is hygroscopic, and will tend to draw water in to the barrel and let it rust.

I'll be e-mailing you shortly about getting a copy of this CD.

Boolit Mold

CD on primers from Albert and Oelberg

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    If you're interested in a copy of this CD see this offering in the Sellin' & Swappin' forum:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...394#post396394

thanks
    Dutch

Does anyone know if this CD is available?

Thx
    MCL198

I'd buy one too.

Mee tooo! (had to get enough letters to post) The link didn't come up.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

no longer being offered
    Last edited by Dutchman; 02-07-2021 at 05:27 PM.

Dang !! Knock knock, nobody home.

Boolit Master

no longer being offered
    Last edited by Dutchman; 02-07-2021 at 05:27 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I would be intrested in one... if you still have some...

Boolit Master

no longer being offered
    Last edited by Dutchman; 02-07-2021 at 05:28 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Paypal: swede1894@gmail.com
    $15 delivered.
    make sure to include full address and note as to what its for as I use Paypal for ebay as well.

I'll keep supplying this CD as long as there's interest. It keeps me in lunch money .

Dutch
    Hey Dutch, I know this thread has not seen any activity for 2 years but if this CD is still available, I'd love to get one if you have the time.

Michael

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by glassparman View Post
    Hey Dutch, I know this thread has not seen any activity for 2 years but if this CD is still available, I'd love to get one if you have the time.

Michael
    Me also!

Boolit Grand Master

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast