RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whetstone cleaning

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    Elbow Grease ??? Where can I get me some of that ?
    contact the resident loob groove dealer

Boolit Master
    I've never resurfaced a stone but I clean mine by standing them on end and flushing with mineral spirits from a spray bottle. They're so porous, everything just literally flows out.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I was able to thoroughly clean a carborundum stone the other day. I soaped the stone up good and scrubbed it in the sink with a wire brush. Worked well. I don't use a carborundum stone much, but this one was my granny's and I wanted to bring it back.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I like that idea of using a dishwasher.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I like that idea of using a dishwasher.
    If you do, DO NOT tell the better half. DAMHIKT
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I never have clean my Arkansas smooth rock and still use oil on it.I have had it over 40+ years.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    You know I've never had to clean a stone . I have Dad's carborundum course/fine . He used it for ........ I don't know 2-3 340OT Old Timers , it's been around all of my life and I've used it pretty hard for 15 maybe 20 yr . I've run it wet with 3 in 1 or washed it down with WD-40 in August , November and January . I have a nearly new Oregon and Arkansas stones so far neither have fouled , wet em' , rub em' , wipe em' off , and run em' wet .

I do have a couple of pretty grungy stones I was never able to get wet enough to get ungunked . A few tips here I might give a go . I have some wet an dry I might even be able to fix that gunked up sway back .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I’ve used a little alcohol and it seemed to clean up fine. I would always re-oil it after cleaning.
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

I've never been able to keep enough oil on a carborundum stone. They are like a sponge.

The stones I've cleaned have all been used. I am a sucker for a stone at a yardsale.

Banned
    I don't have expensive stones. Coincidentally, I just got done cleaning some stones today. I boiled them in a solution of 1/4 Westley's Bleach White tire cleaner, a tsp of laundry detergent and water. The very fine ones came perfectly clean. The medium ones still have stains but the stuff in the stone is gone.
    Another thing I do is this:
    I got a larger very coarse sharpening stone from the thrift store a few years ago. It is too coarse for sharpening but it works very well to block other stones to make them flat again. It works great. When my stones start getting a saddle, I rub them on the big stone until they are as flat as new.
    I am not a professional that is just what I do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I've never been able to keep enough oil on a carborundum stone. They are like a sponge.

The stones I've cleaned have all been used. I am a sucker for a stone at a yardsale.
    I read that the way you tell the difference between an oil stone and a whet stone (with water) is the whet stone is porous and liquid will soak right in. Whereas an oil stone is impermeable and the oil just lays on top.
    I have both kinds.

I've never heard that. I have always heard Arkansas stones as whetstones, but used with oil.

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!
    Not sure on a natural stone but had my grandfather carbide stone which I ran through the dishwasher and trued on the footpath.
    The footpath did put long scratches in it but considering how out of trues it was it worked wonders. Also ended up with a nice smooth patch of footpath

Boolit Bub

I have bought lots of stones at flea markets and garage sales and I always drop them into a Tupper ware container of Simple green and give them a good soak for a few days.
    Works well for both Natural and synthetic stones and then rinse/soak in clean water to get the Simple green out.
    I use a still nylon brush to scrub them clean with and haven't had one yet I could not clean up.
    Works good on your razor stones and knife stones.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    You don't need to cut the actual stone. Just the bonding agent and this releases the grit bringing up sharp particles.
    That depends on the stone. If it is a all natural stone like an Arkansas hard stone there is no bonding agent.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by If1Hitu View Post
    I never have clean my Arkansas smooth rock and still use oil on it.I have had it over 40+ years.
    I let those that borrow my stone clean them if they know what's up. Otherwise hot water and dish soap

Boolit Buddy

No help But sure like the ideas you guys posted GW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12