Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail Boss + Clays powder gone? 45 colt reloads

Trail Boss + Clays powder gone? 45 colt reloads

Hello

I have been looking everywhere for some Trail Boss or regular Clays smokeless powder. But after doing a bit more research and realizing it was sold out everywhere with no backorders in sight and a bit of research it seems these are gone...forever?

I know a lot of Cowboy Action shooters like these powders because you can reload 45 colt using the powder and get a very very mild load without losing any accuracy so I feel like everyone who uses it bought it up in large amounts and is hoarding it.

Is there ANYWAY I could somehow find any? Preferably Trail Boss... if not, what is the best alternative?

I've been researching 45 colt loads as I wanted to shoot smokeless powder out of a few of my cap & ball revolvers. I'd rather avoid the cleanup with black powder plus it just seems like a good time!

I've got pretty much everything needed and according to load data I've found that either Winchester 231 or Hodgdon HP-38 (apparently the same?) are probably the next best bet as the cap & ball revolvers say to keep fps in the 800 range.

I am just looking for plinking fun at the range, I have some .452" 200grain cast lead round nose flat point bullets, brass, primers and everything needed along with some Winchester 231 to start loading my cartridges... but basically I just want to make sure before I load them all up, there is no magical way to find some Trail Boss or Clays first, or if anyone has heard when they'll be restocked?

If anyone is in the same boat as me and uses Winchester 231/HP-38, how did it work for you? And what is your load data? I hear this powder doesn't do that well unless loaded on the hotter side, so I guess I'll have to see what happens when I load a mild plinking/target shooting cartridge and hopefully it works out okay.

I also hope I posted this in the right section. I have read these forums for years now, but just registered recently.

Thanks for any types of advise!

Boolit Master
    Powder is nearly impossible to ship legally, so indicating your location might help.

I don’t think you will find the powders you mentioned from a store. I would suggest getting the powder you find available and trade, locally, until you find the powder you like. Perhaps after you’ve met the criteria for trading on this site, someone will be willing to trade powders with you.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

OP check your PM.

Boolit Mold
    I read recently on another forum a post that noted Hodgdon had talked about TB and 700X being available again around the end of the year or beginning of next. I'm not sure I'd count on it though with all of the talk of nitrocellulose being unavailable. Go take a look at what TB is fetching on GB.

Boolit Master
    Seriously Consider the New, Nitro 100 NF...bulky so it does Not fit 1 pound in a 1 pound container...and I am very much enjoying it
    Yes...Hodgdon has Data, as well as a few others...but, double check you are looking at 100NF data

I'm hopeful that Hodgdon will have more trail boss produced. It's still listed in their current Hodgdon lineup where as you'd think they'd of removed it by now if they weren't going to have any more made.

Boolit Grand Master
    Do not get hung up on a particular powder especially for light pistol loads. It isn't rocket surgery. I bought 30 lbs of powder I had never used when I found it on sale for $15/lb delivered. I did not need it and still have not tested it.

I have used a lot of W231/HP38 in 9mm and .38 Spl and it works well in CF pistol loads if that is what you have. Its use in cap&ball does not sound like a good choice IMO but I don't travel that path...seems like the chance of a double charge is high.
    Don Verna

With all the cowboy shooters one would think TB readily available, if the goal is selling product and making money..

Boolit Master

My understanding is that Trailboss is no longer in production, it was discontinued. Thus the outrageous prices, even in comparison to other hard to get powders right now. There really isn't a good substitute for it, as I understand - 2nd Hand knowledge, as I don't use it. But if you need to, Alliant has cowboy loads for the 45 Colt on their website. Bullseye and Unique are right there in the listed data. You might not be able to get those super light recoiling loads you get with Trailboss. But you can get valid cowboy load data...
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    Can you find Clay Dot (Alliant)? It is Allliant's answer to Clays for 12 Gauge, and is nicely bulky like Clays, and the loads published by Alliant for shotgun are very much like Clays. I know of SASS shooters using it in place of Clays. I have tried it also using load data for Clays and the results are consistent. Of course, I have stayed down near starting loads for Clays. BIG CATCH: Alliant has not published load data and says "not for metallic cartridges" So, if you use it you have to use judgement.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Can you find Clay Dot (Alliant)? It is Allliant's answer to Clays for 12 Gauge, and is nicely bulky like Clays, and the loads published by Alliant for shotgun are very much like Clays. I know of SASS shooters using it in place of Clays. I have tried it also using load data for Clays and the results are consistent. Of course, I have stayed down near starting loads for Clays. BIG CATCH: Alliant has not published load data and says "not for metallic cartridges" So, if you use it you have to use judgement.
    And yet...Nitro 100NF has published Load data, and appears to be Bulkier!!! Cheaper Too!!!! Even if you don't get 16oz.

Boolit Grand Master

In the 45 Colt with 200 grain cast boolits ...
    If you can't get Trail Boss or Clays ... see if you can find :
    700X
    Bullseye
    American Select
    Red Dot
    TiteGroup
    AA #2 (Accurate Arms )
    N320
    HP-38
    Zip
    Unique ... is not the best for Light loads , faster powders are better , but is workable in lower mid-range loads ... if it's all you got it can be made to work .

Hope this helps ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Winchester 231 / Hodgdon HP38 (they are the same) works great for 45 Colt. It's all I use. I use the published data with a .454" cast powder coated SWC.

Boolit Master
    Ive seen claim by those who know that Trailboss is almost identical to whats knows knows as "Smokeless Initiator" ,a blckpowder substitute in artillery propellant ......and for this reason ,I see no problem with Hodgdon sourcing a supply ...........Incidentally ,Hodgdon owns the 'Trailboss' name and logos ,even though the powder was made by ADI.

Boolit Man

SASS rules limit velocity for safety with the steel targets being fairly close. Preventing both splash-back and target damage.
    Traditional pistol powders can safely be used. People just need to adapt and move on. Some just wring their hands and won't let go.

Not sure which is worse. Being the guy who has spent a good amount of time finding a load and bullet that worked well only to find their powder of choice is unobtanium. Or being the guy starting out who finds massive amounts of information and suggestions online to use that same unobtainable powder.

There is more than 1 pound of powder on my bench shelf that is there because it had load data for what I load, so it would work and more importantly it was available. Hopefully I'll get around to playing with it because learning new things helps keep one young. Even learning I don't like it all that well is still learning eh?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Man

Well, I've always wanted Hi-Vel to come back. Now I have to change from Trailboss in my CAS loads and Clays in the regular pistols and Trap loads. Survived droughts by changing from IMR to Accurate and then Vihtavuori. Flex and bend, don't break.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been revamping my loads that used TB and Clays and a few other powders that are virtually unobtainium nowadays to WW 231 solely because it is more readily available.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

For me Red dot in the 6 grain area works in my H&R Handi Rifle in .45 colt.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!