Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round Ball loading the 12ga.

Boolit Master

Yes gp, real men weigh their lead in ounces!!! Their are many punch drunk posters here. Welcome!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm not done with this by a long shot. Just need to be more aware of the consequences of a poor hold when sending "ounces" down range. One of BPI's RB loads using PB was pretty tolerable. Gp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    One of BPI's RB loads using PB was pretty tolerable. Gp
    Which BPI manual are you looking at?
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Their 7th Edition Slug Loading & Field Application pages 52 & 53 Pumpkin Ball slugs. Gp-

Boolit Grand Master

I think it is the second edition of the Lyman Shotshell Reloading manual that has several round ball loads listed. I have the edition whichever it is. For round balls of about 1 oz. I just use regular 1 oz. slug loads or the Lyman Foster or 525 gr. loads... whichever suits the weight I am shooting best. With wheelweights/range scrap ~ 0.662" RB's are just under an ounce, 0.678" RB's are about an ounce, 0.735" RB's run about 1 1/4+ oz. If you don't want the recoil then just use equivalent weight birdshot load data.

I think its hard to go wrong with the 0.735" RB as long as you avoid choked guns.

I still like my cloth patched 0.662" RB loads. I think the slightly "cushiony" fit due to the give in the cloth that does it. But RB loads tend to have limited useful range. For close up an personal I think they are hard to beat.

Once things settle down again I plan to load up a series of Lee slugs, some slugs from home made moulds and RB's then compare accuracy at 50 yards and 75 to maybe 100 yards. All from smoothbore. I have been hoping to get a slug that would group well to 100 yards but so far still looking. Some are okay but not good enough for me. I'll take round balls to 50 yards anyway and maybe to 75... easy to cast and easy to load and shoot pretty dependably.

Lots of fun shooting big 'ol round balls!

Longbow

I'm new to this, so if I state the obvious or ask something "Everyone knows" please humor me. My smoothbore 12ga with the cylinder choke installed slugs .731. The Lyman .735 RB mould drops a ball at .737 with SOWW alloy I have. The chokes I bought from Carlson and they state that their rifled choke has a .010 restriction I assume then that it should be close to .720 X .730. The RBs tapped through the cylinder choke display about a 3/16" size swaged band. With the soft alloy I've used would any of you have concerns about using the .737 balls through the rifled choke? I have thought of using mould release to take a few thousandths off the diameter but I hate the mess that **** makes. Thoughts? Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I'm going to say go ahead. There have been others post good results... or at least no damage using 0.735" RB's through rifled choke tube. There's not a lot of meat at the equator of a round ball to swage down.

I've shot ACWW 0.735" Rb's through a rifled gun with 0.727" grooves with no issues and good accuracy. My concern with rifled choke tubes is torquing up when the slug hits the rifling. Some have reported problems there. I'd expect that if the choke tube bottomed on a shoulder that torquing shouldn't be an issue. I may find out soon as my choke tube adapter has arrived from Brownells and I have a cylinder choke tube and blank choke tube coming. The cylinder choke tube was an oversight as I ordered the silver solder on choke tube adapter then realized I can't shoot the gun without a choke tube DOH!

My plan was to make a choke tube with approx. 0.010" deep rifling so about 0.720" bore then rifled to 0.730" but I decided to by a blank choke tube then bore that and rifle it with deep groove rifling at 1:72" twist.

I do like round balls! If this works I will be a happy camper and if it doesn't I will finally break down and buy a rifled gun. I know the 0.735" RB's shoot well through a Remington 870 with 1:36" twist or 1:35" or 1:38" or whatever the stock Remington is rifled to but pretty quick for a big 'ol round ball... but it worked pretty well.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Is your gun the straight stock pump model? If so you are taking all the recoil for sure. A good recoil pad will certainly help if you don't have one and if has a flat top on the receiver like an 870 it's pretty easy to drill and tap for a rail.
    Leonard Ravenhill

I shoot 0.736" diameter heat treated fullbore slugs through a marlin 512 with a 0.727" groove diameter. I don't think you will have a problem shooting your RBs through a rifled choke tube.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I guess I should add I do not shoot slugs or RB off a bench. I sit behind cross sticks. I have seen plans for "table height" cross sticks that raise the firearm to shoulder height so the body is in an upright position. Should be about the same as sitting behind regular cross sticks.
    We also use a "slip on the stock" pad.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I have seen plans for "table height" cross sticks that raise the firearm to shoulder height so the body is in an upright position.
    You might try a four-legged shooting stick:

https://www.viper-flex.com/home/

They are extremely stable compared to a normal two- or three-legged stick. You can easily make your own from four sticks and a bit of string. With shorter sticks it can be used for sitting shooting as well. Try it - you will be amazed...
    Cap'n Morgan

Hogtamer: Worse than that! It's a Savage-Stevens Break barrel and in that light gun heavy loads kick like a mule. Our county shooting range has stand-up shooting benches and I'm shooting off my rifle front rest and leather shooting rest under the stock. I can't imagine shooting the RB loads sitting down. I'm thinking about up-grading to a rifled barrel gun and have been looking at the bolt action 20ga. and the Mossberg 500 12ga. Any comments good or bad about these shotguns? Thanks to all for the comments and encouragement given. Gp

Cap'n Morgan: That stick set-up is nice! At the price a poor rednek like me might opt to just mount the shotgun on a surplus tripod for the Ma Deuce. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Those sticks are nice but pricey!

I think it would take more than 4 sticks and some string to duplicate but not a lot more to make something functional, maybe not nearly so nice but functional.

I may have a seed of an idea! Thanks for that Cap'n Morgan!

Longbow

It's sort of laughable considering the crude version of female anatomy I called my S.I.L. when he bought one for sighting in his 300 ultramag but I went to the local Sportsmen's Warehouse today and picked up a Caldwell Lead Sled 3. It's set up to hold two 25lb. bar-bell weights. There will be no more of this rib cracking B.S. LOL Gp

Boolit Master

gp, gotta tell you my little savage 220 has spoiled me! Low recoil and I can move Uncle Dino's 7/8 oz slugs around 1650 fps. Got some 1 oz bruisers from Bikerbeans officially qualify as big lead. Got a 12 ga USH that shoots well but heavy as an anvil. Overall I'm partial to my old 870s, must be as I have 5. Found a really good saddle mount for a couple and have a hastings cantilevered barrel on one. You don't have to have a 3 incher either. 2 3/4 loads can inflict all the punishment on both ends that man or beast can stand. Seems that summertime beings cheap prices on old wingmasters so you might be checking gunbroker for deals. Especially the old "furniture" guns. Dealers in the states that used to be shotgun only and now allow rifles are good sources.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Hogtamer: I hadn't thought about the new regs. in some states. That's a good idea. I would like to have one of the old wingmasters. Great guns and lots of after-market upgrades. I'm a little P.O.d at Remington right now (Whole different story) so I won't be looking at any of their new production 870s. And Yes that Savage 20ga. bolt gun looks like a sweet gun. Sold a fifth-wheel so have a hole burning in my pocket. LOL I'll watch Gun Broker. Thanks. Gp

Boolit Master
    I second the Savage 220. The first 2 shots were all most touching at my 50 yard bench. I got to tell you though, those Remington Slugs have all most as much punch as my "LIGHT FIELD HYBRED LITES". But those are hard to beat in a Marlin 512, .12 Gauge.

Boolit Master

Has anyone tried the the Savage 212 ??? I'm hearing all sorts of feed back on the 220 but nothing on the 212....
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Banned
    Greetings, I just hope the images show up.

You decides.
    Ajay

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast