WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132

Thread: CLOSED - MIHEC 300 Blackout 311-230 GRN hollow point 4C HP and 6C Solid

Boolit Mold

Okay so it looks like part of my problem is that my brass is sizing down my bullets. I pulled some that were sized to 309 and loaded. Just behind the crimp groove the bullets read 3065 so it looks like I am going to need to seat in one step, and then crimp in the next. I am using a pair of RCBS dies, has anyone had an issue with there seating / crimping die like this before? I am just barely applying a crimp, just enough to get it to chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by portersandstouts View Post
    Okay so it looks like part of my problem is that my brass is sizing down my bullets. I pulled some that were sized to 309 and loaded. Just behind the crimp groove the bullets read 3065 so it looks like I am going to need to seat in one step, and then crimp in the next. I am using a pair of RCBS dies, has anyone had an issue with there seating / crimping die like this before? I am just barely applying a crimp, just enough to get it to chamber.
    Nothing wrong with RCBS dies. As you said you need to seat and (lightly) crimp in separate operations. But you also need to expand the neck more. A .311 button (for 7.62x39 or .303 British) would help a lot. Even better, something like the Lee universal expander combined with NOE's expander plugs give you the ability to expand the brass neck in .001" increments. For bullets that are sized to .309, I'll generally use a .309 plug. https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...der-plug-rifle

Boolit Master
    I ordered a couple of .312 expanders from lee. You can order a larger one from RCBS as well. Then just "sand" it down to what you need. I am using a Dillon 550 so I don't have room for an extra die.

Boolit Mold

I am already using an Lee universal expanding die. I will measure what I expand to when I get home this evening. and I will see about obtaining a separate crimp die. Anyone have any suggestions in regards to roll crimp vs taper crimp?

Boolit Buddy
    I have become a fan of the Lee factory collet type. Very easy to adjust the crimp level and nearly blind to case length variation.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by portersandstouts View Post
    I am already using an Lee universal expanding die. I will measure what I expand to when I get home this evening. and I will see about obtaining a separate crimp die. Anyone have any suggestions in regards to roll crimp vs taper crimp?
    That will not solve the problem with the brass sizing the bullets down. I like the idea of the noe inserts. It expands the brass and gives it a M style expansion for the bullet. You would be better to get the noe expander to try first.

Some new info for .308 Winchester subsonic loads using VihtaVuori N32C (TinStar) and NLG GC version -224grs if 20:1 alloy+GC.

10grs = 315 m/s
    10,2grs = 318 m/s, 319 m/s
    10,5grs= 332 m/s

Norma case, CCI 200, MP 311-235 224grs, GC, sized to .3104”, holowpoint NLG GC.

Boolit Bub
    Casting pure lead in this mold for subsonic use so they're dropping fat at about .311. Picked up the .311 x .314 noe expander and gave it a try last night and love it. No more nose squishing during seating causing bullets to get hung up on chambering, pulled out of the case when i try to extract it and dumping powder in my action! I use a Lee collet neck sizer for my rifle stuff, but this noe expander is about to get some use for my blackout!

Boolit Master

Went back and casted some more up a couple weeks ago and got to shooting them today. I still can’t do better than a 4” group with these and my solid gas checked lube groove mold is still dropping them at 214grn using 15 lbs pure lead and 1/4lbs of pewter. Should I just send this mold back to mihec?
    90% professional 10% mature

Boolit Master
    Have you tried a few different powders? Mine hates CFE blk but really like lil gun.

Vendor Sponsor

Can someone tell me, Has this GB been delivered?

Yes

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DAFzipper View Post
    Yes

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    thanks!! I've get it moved to archive

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132