266. You may not vote on this poll
  • hot .357 magnum

44 16.54%
  • mild .44 swc

222 83.46%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Hot .357mag vs mild 44mag for deer hunting

Boolit Grand Master

"Lower peak pressure = lower muzzle pressure. Lower muzzle pressure = better hearing retention, temporary & permanent. I like it when my ears don't ring for an hour"

There isn't one truthful statement here, and you are clearly implying a 357 magnum will make your ears ring for an hour, and a 44 special wont.

Well, how sad, but time for some numbers for "MSM", to address the claim that the prior comment I made regarding 357 Mag/44 spl I made was one where "There isn't one truthful statement here".
    I neither lied nor made unfounded statements, and frankly don't like the implication.

Using Gordon's reloading tool, and some relatively common component combinations to get a "Hot" 357 Magnum load vs 44 Special:

357 Magnum, 5" barrel, 16 gr W296, 158 Hornady XTP, 1.59" COL: 1290 fps (agrees well w/ Hornady manual), Pmax 31,400 psi, Muzzle pressure 10,400 psi.

44 Special, 5" barrel, 8.3 gr Accurate #5, 240 Hornady XTP, 1.615 COL: 821 fps (agrees well w/ Hornady manual), Pmax 11,900 psi, Muzzle pressure 4600 psi.

No comparable difference in muzzle pressure w/ decrease in peak pressure when comparing a common "hot" 357 mag vs. 44 special? Hmmm.... The tool states otherwise.

I did NOT say a 357 Mag will make your ears ring for an hour. I was making a generalized statement that High Pressure Cartridges create more sound energy and are more damaging to hearing, and I don't like it when my ears ring for an hour after a shot.

I did have my ears ring for at least an hour once when shooting a 475 w/ a 385 HP at 1450 w/o hearing protection 28 years ago. I didn't like it much, and I wore my Peltor hearing protectors after that with that gun while hunting.
    I do not have the same experience when I shoot a firearm w/ a much lower muzzle pressure when taking a shot on game, and often forego hearing protection when using a firearm during a hunt that doesn't present me with this immediate temporary hearing loss.

Muzzle pressure matters in terms of sound energy. Period.

Is this an argument that prolonged use of a 44 special w/o hearing protection is a good way to retain your hearing?
    NO, and I didn't state that either.
    However, IF a person chooses to hunt w/o hearing protection (which a LOT of people do in my experience) then that person will incur Less Hearing Damage when shooting a firearm w/ lower muzzle pressure than higher, all else being equal. Is it a meaningful amount? Ask an audiologist. I will err on caution when given the opportunity.

However, claiming it is untruthful, and implying that it is ignorant, to make a statement that less muzzle pressure makes less noise and does apply in a comparison between a hot 357 mag and a 44 special equivalent load, is, in itself, deceiving.

Boolit Grand Master

"I have shot hundreds of rounds 22-250 a day, or shot 6mm-280 IMP or 7mm Ultra Mag at game w/o hearing protection and could immediately afterward hear whatever I liked"

22-250, 40gr V max, 37 gr IMR 4895. Muzzle pressure at 22"= 15,500 PSI

7mm ultra mag, 139gr Hornady, 68gr H4831. Muzzle pressure at 22"=17,700 psi

So "MSM", you avoid the actual topic again, while taking statements out of context.

The statement I made about 22-250 & others were about shooting in OPEN areas with little material objects present above ground cover to reflect sound back. Read the post again, or quote it in FULL.

If you believe that the amount and variety of objects in front of the firearm muzzle make no difference as to reflected sound, stand inside a building w/ open door / window and shoot a firearm, then poke the muzzle out of the building through that door / window and shoot the same firearm and judge for yourself the sound level inside the building.

You do yourself No service by misquoting and taking material out of context to support your flawed point(s).

I’ll go for the milder bigger bullet every time, I’m getting to dislike lots of muzzle blast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I must be a total noise wimp, even a 4.2gr +158gr RF Trailboss load out of a 22" barrel 357mag is really loud to me. My 223 Howa is appallingly loud, I can't imagine shooting an even more overbore cartridge without ears on. You guys are manlier men than I.

As you said, though, I am in the Eastern woods and mountains, and that sound sure does reflect back. Maybe I will get to experience the open plains as you described one day.
    Last edited by Daekar; 03-11-2022 at 11:20 PM.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Mold
    I plan to try my hand at hunting with my revolver for the first time next year, so this has been a pretty great source of information. I don't own a .357, so I'll be taking my .44 (S&W 629, 5"). I'm practicing with hot .44 Specials so far (one load around 1070 and another around 1170). I planned to work up to practicing with real Magnums at 1300-1350 fps to take afield, but it looks to me like the load in the 1170 fps range is plenty.

As far as ear-pro goes, the one time I've shot a revolver without ear protection was a cylinder full of factory .45 Colts from a buddy's 3" barrel Taurus Judge. Not the hottest ammo and not the smallest gun, but I can still say I'd rather not ever have to shoot any revolver without ear-pro again.

Boolit Master
    Interesting- arguing over loudness as opposed to effectiveness.. Both weapons are too loud to shoot unprotected
    the .357 is particularly awful...to me- the pow like sound of lower pressure round do not have that cracka screech of .357
    I use powered head phones 100% when hunting. or shooting. and have let a nice buck walk because of no hearing protection. I left right after that... I think any one is nutz if you shoot or hunt with out protection... every one shot --damages yur hearing
    and as to hunting with a handgun -- ask not can I but should I-- hit a deer in the butt with an arrow and you will likely get the deer-- same with a handgun if no bones are broke -good chances they get away. To use any hand gun is place limits on your self---why choose the little guy and put more limits--or try a.357 lever gun or a TC?. Certainly the .357 will kill any deer
    the larger bore handguns have a great redeeming feature-- normally they will go through from any angle on deer.. cup points / lwn or wln cast make decent to good holes If one wants to hunt with a .357 certainly you can... and succeed, just be sure to share with us so we can enjoy-- shoot

Boolit Buddy
    I have taken 8 whitetail with a model 29 44 mag. In my life time. I never tried the 357, but the 44 mag dropped them in there tracks.
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

All my rifles, if possible, get suppressed. Supersonic and sub sonic. Period. If shooting a lot I wear ear protectionin additionto the suppressor. My ears ring all day every day from loud music as a teen. I don't want to make it worse.

Revolver without ear protection? Nope.

I like the 357 mag. Both are loud.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567