Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W wood Grips: The Thailand edition

I bought a set of Ks & Ns. $23@ about 5 yrs ago. The Ks I put on Square butt m19 they fit nice and looked good. The Ns I had to receive a bit right behind trigger guard. Other than that ok. At $50 I would have to go with Almounts.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    There are actually a couple of grip sellers on the ‘Bay that operate out of Thailand. I can’t remember which is who, but several years ago I ordered two sets of grips (one from each) over about a year’s time. And both were good value for their price.

>>>SNIP
    My recent search came up with 4 different sellers shipping from Thailand. Two of them had at least one common design, making me think they are two different distributors getting product from one or more similar sources. I contacted two different sellers with grips I liked, to ask a question or two. I did make an offer on a set and received a decent counter offer, so I placed an order.

One thing I was concerned about, was getting the actual grips shown in photos, as opposed to getting what was on the shelf that's the same design, because some listings will say color/shade may vary. The seller I ordered from had all his offerings numbered and he assured me I was getting the set that was photographed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I bought a set of Ks & Ns. $23@ about 5 yrs ago. The Ks I put on Square butt m19 they fit nice and looked good. The Ns I had to receive a bit right behind trigger guard. Other than that ok. At $50 I would have to go with Almounts.
    While the Altamonts on my Ruger GP-100 are to my liking, I can't say the same for all four sets of Altamont grips that I have handled on recent manufacture S&W guns. They have all been loose, and are thinner than I like. It's a long story I won't go into here and now. Also, I did look at Altamonts current offerings, and the set I was considering was just under $100 delivered and not currently available. The Thai set I ordered was negotiated to just under $55 delivered, and I suspect I will need to modify them for my particular gun for use of Moon clips and maybe (or maybe not?) need fitting to gun frame, but they have a very desirable grain figure, so for the price, I am fine with that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

I’ve found if they are tight or a bit bigger than frame it’s no problem to work down. If they are a little short is when they become a problem. I ain’t got a grip stretcher. I have a good many S&W revolvers, and am selling them out. Doing so I take trades and like somebody said the trend is to rape the factory grips and send to market with rubbers. I’m always looking for wood grips to put on these guns. It doesn’t really up the value, just makes them easier to deal. A couple years ago when I was still in collecting mode, I would by Sile grips for about $20@ by 10. There were a lot of them around. I bought many here on CB. When you talk $50, at a show there be a lot of after markets used.

Moderator Emeritus

SNIP...
    I have a good many S&W revolvers, and am selling them out. Doing so I take trades and like somebody said the trend is to rape the factory grips and send to market with rubbers. I’m always looking for wood grips to put on these guns.
    when I started this thread 3 years ago, that was the situation I was in with 3 K frame guns and a friend and fellow castbooliteer helped me out with a swap for some Original wood grips, so I didn't order the Thai grips, but have been curious about them.

SNIP...
    It doesn’t really up the value, just makes them easier to deal.
    Luckily that ain't the situation I'm in today, these grips are specifically for me and not for making the gun more saleable. The Grips I ordered are for a recent manufacture gun, which I have the original grips...and I greatly dislike them. I bought a set of rubber Pachmayrs for it...they are better, but still has the RB configuration which just ain't working for me in this 625JM. I'm really hoping the RB conversion grips with the Cokebottle-like grips that I ordered have the feel I am looking for.

Funny thing is, one of the K-frame guns is a RB (586) and shooting that is wonderful once I got some factory combat grips for it. I'm not sure why it's different with this 625JM, but it is.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Bub
    I think the Thailand grips are great. If you expect a perfect fit from aftermarket grips, you may need to temper your expectation with a dose of contemporary reality. Take a look at the thread below to get a perfect fit from aftermarket grips.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...rips-pictorial

I just Googled Eagle Grips and the opening page on their website says that their products are made in the USA.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I just Googled Eagle Grips and the opening page on their website says that their products are made in the USA. They K/L walnut grips but they are $169.95. Photo's look good but nobody knows fit until you put them on your gun. I just bought some N frame Herretts for my model 24 and they did'nt fit exactly until I gave them a day or 2 to ADJUST to the climate change and then they fit like they should. Apologies for the double post.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12