Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Recyclle shops refused to sell me lead.

Boolit Bub

Unhappy 2 Recyclle shops refused to sell me lead.

I drove to my favorite recycle shop today and the attendent said that he could no longer sell lead to the public. The attendent didn't know why. So I drove down the street to the next recycle shop and he refused to sell me lead today also.

The attendent said it is because led sinkers have been banned and since most people buy lead to make sinkers they were probibited from selling lead to the public. What a sad day, no WW available from tire shops and no lead available from the recycle center.

I am located in Texas, anyone esle had problems buying lead in Texas?

I'd be curious as well about where all lead cannot be obtained anymore. When I was in Kalifornia a few months ago it was a "dry state".

If you haven't "Got Yours" by now, meaning a stash of wheel weights weighing about a ton or so, you may very well have to resign yourselves to using Kirksite/Zamak #3 zinc diecast alloy. That or not shoot anymore. It is gonna happen unless a miracle of legislation happens quick.

rl423
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

My experience has been - I traveled to about 20 different tire shops and recycle scrap yards. The scrap yards flat turned me down stating that they no longer sold to the public. The tire shops said they already had someone getting lead from them. I was quite put down to say the least. I figured it was because I was asking if they just wanted to get rid of it. I then returned to a few tire shops I had previously went to and offered cash. The attitude immediately changed and they sold me some. Total that day was about 400 pounds of wheel weights for about 40 cents a pound. Personnel at the tire shops now are quite aware that lead brings money if they take it to the scrap yards but are more than happy to SELL it to me so they don't have to haul it themselves.

I figured the 40 cents a pound into price per 500 rounds and it is still very cheap compared to commercial bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    It may cost you a bit more, but you should be able to buy pigs of lead at a plumbing supply house. Forget Lowe's and Home Depot. I'm talking about commercial plumbing supply houses. They should have lead in 25lb. chains of 5 lb. pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by straight-shooter View Post

I figured the 40 cents a pound into price per 500 rounds and it is still very cheap compared to commercial bullets.
    I agree.
    I have paid $60.00 per bucket for WW. After rending the clips and junk I paid 38 cents a pound. I'ma newb so I didn't get used to getting them for free.

Jim,
    Buy lead as a company. Print up some cards with "dive weights r us" or some such.
    Hope you have better luck in the future.

All right. Here is the tack to take.

Every shooter in the US needs to own a muzzle loader of some sort. Doesn't have be in working order or even capable of firing. As muzzle loaders require 'lead' (don't get into alloy discussions) the administration pushing the anti lead mission is then preventing you operating your ML. As such they are encroaching on your rights under the 2nd amendment. So, you have the RIGHT to purchase 'lead'.

How does that stack?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Don't waste your time with the attendant. He's only doing what he was told to do, and isn't going to get himself into trouble bucking the boss. Before you go scrapper next time, call first and ask to speak with the manager. The boss will tell you who to ask for, which day, the best time of day to buy and $/lb. And when it comes to price, be prepared, you're gonna get gouged. Period.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post

Every shooter in the US needs to own a muzzle loader of some sort. Doesn't have be in working order or even capable of firing. As muzzle loaders require 'lead' (don't get into alloy discussions) the administration pushing the anti lead mission is then preventing you operating your ML. As such they are encroaching on your rights under the 2nd amendment. So, you have the RIGHT to purchase 'lead'.

How does that stack?
    Sounds good at first, but knowing how politicians (especially the anti 2A types) think, they'll want to require licenses, permits, training, hazmat certification, taxes, fees....ad nauseum.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

I'm still getting free lead from two tire shops. I have been trying to stockpile as much as possible. I have benn getting it for about six months and have around 700 pounds.
    Rusty

Boolit Master
    You can get lots of free lead at the range laying on top of the berms. But I don't recommend digging unless the range owners say it's ok.

Boolit Buddy
    Good grief, here we go. Only a government diktat could produce something as bizarre as a company having to refuse business.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post

How does that stack?
    It won't.

Boolit Master

Go to "swappin & sellin" and ask. Someone i'll bet will sell you WW alloy or Soft lead fo ~ $1/lb shipped 50 lbs in a USPS box right to your doorstep. There is always someone that can cut into their stash for a fellow caster in need and could us a little cash.

Boolit Master
    There are several 50# lots of lead on Ebay that are going without bids one 60# in a flat rate box starting at $48 + shipping. If you are desparate there is lead available.
    If it is against the law to sell lead to the public then the Ebay links would be shut down. I think that it is a question of someone is paying the scrap dealer in question more than you are going to pay or someone has agreed to buy it all if he doesn't sell to everyone that comes in. A steady customer is better than a once or twice a year customer.

Quote: If it is against the law to sell lead to the public then the Ebay links would be shut down. Unquote.

And you can expect that to happen pretty soon. Ebay tries hard to avoid lawsuits and eventually they will tumble to the idea that there are certain places who are trying to control (outlaw) distribution of lead and will try to distance themselves from any possible connection to it. Enjoy it while you can.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a hard time finding much lately as well. Most of the tire shops won't sell it as they have someone that picks up the wheel weights.

I got about 150lbs about a month ago... cost me $50.00 which I figured was outrageous. OH well times are changing all over.

Boolit Bub
    i know that when i lived in nyc in the five boroughs you had junk shops and scrap yards that are still there they have all kinds of metel scraps for sale i am sure your states have these types of junk yards in them also there a good sauce of lead and other meterials

Thumbs up

I did a check of the market price this morning and it is going for $.85 #

I have a deal with a guy for 200 #s at .75 #. A little pricey, but I want to stock up myself. Don't know if I will take the offer. I wonder if he will take .40 a #?
    Just Another Voice in the Crowd!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast