Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going off half Glocked

Boolit Grand Master

Going off half Glocked

Since I now have over 1/2 my troops carrying these things I finally broke down and bought one, I now have a Glock 19. I am and always will be a 1911 man and till now have had no interest in Gaston's plastic wonder. Now I need to practice with this thing until I am up to snuff. The last Glock I used to qual with hated cast bullets. Will the Glock digest some cast if I make it hard? Lino? 1/2 and 1/2 ? Or should I just forget it and call Black Hills?

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    If I was going to shoot it a LOT, and if it was a self defense gun I would. I would get a bbl for it with conventional rifling in it. If you want to move it along at a later date you can put the orig bbl back in, and sell the bbl with real rifling in it.

I am just puking back what I have read about Glacks, the only one I would like to have is the 10mm one.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master
    KCSO--

A couple of our armorers who have been to the Glock schools STRONGLY recommend aftermaraket barrels for ANY reloaded ammunition, not just cast boolits. The Glocks feature some pretty wide chamber radii, and 40 S&W's have a LARGE area of unsupported chamber.

My wife has been after me to get one of these critters for her, so its first stop will be Bar-Sto Barrels (about an hour from my house, and along the route to quail and chukar country) so I can feed the thing at reasonable cost.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Gee when I went to armourers school they said the Glock was PERFECTION and that all reloaded ammo was bad. It sure bites to have to put a new barrel in a new gun, but I suspected this when I bought the gun. Guess I get to call Brownell's Monday.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, Glocks are PERFECTION--as long as you fire only factory ammo in them. Most gunmakers sing the same mantra--"ONLY FACTORY LOADS"--but with the dishwasher-safe Austrian imports, it might be justified. Just a friggin' shame that fear of lawsuits prevents gunmakers from detailing the causes of catastrophic failures, so that end users could be better informed and make better choices. Mostly, the mantra just pisses me off--but I think that was discernable anyway.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

None
    Deputy Al - "...Just a friggin' shame that fear of lawsuits prevents gunmakers from detailing the causes of catastrophic failures, so that end users could be better informed and make better choices..."

I wonder why that is? Auto makers are required to make failure analyses available to the public, and also their service bulletins/recall notices. Now that the firearms industry has their legislated liability relief for misuse of their products, it would seem reasonable that they should provide the shootiing public some of the benefit of their analysis and research. Maybe we should write the NRA?
    Last edited by grumble; 11-26-2005 at 02:19 PM.

Exclamation

I reload for my Glock 23, only jacketed bullets, and only low pressure loads. Maybe Santa will bring me an aftermarket barrel this Xmas so I can start shooting cast in it. Ten shots of cast in polygonal rifling and the accuracy goes all to hell. Brush brush, clean clean. Damned accurate the way it is, though. A shame, but that's life.

Banned
    Well you fellows heard this before. I shoot the dickens out of my Glock 21, 45acp of course. Maybe it has alot to with caliber. I have two highly tuned 1911 that shoot really good to say the least. Then I bought this Glock 21 and right out of the box the damn thing near beats my two 1911's!!!!! Yeah with cast bullets....and the more you shoot the accuracy does not go down hill and the barrel does not lead up. They talked alot about this over on a Glock forum. The guys got into a pretty heated argument over whether the manual that comes with Glocks ACTUALLY says not to shoot reload or the warranty is void. I guess I'll have to dig mine out and read it. Some of the guys says that it doesn't, I don't know. They did agree the culprit seems to be the 40 S&W caliber in the Glock though. I've had and have other guns with polygonal rifling. One I still have and shoot alot of cast out of is the HK USC 45 acp carbine. Zero problems or leading. I'm not shooting competition or running a truck load of ammo through my Glock montly so I'm sure as hell not going to buy an aftermarket barrel for it. I can't see how that rifling, being actually smoother then regular rifling and by that I mean it really doesn't have as many, how would I say this, corners in the rifling to actaully catch and trap lead...so how would it get a build up?....more so over convention rifling?

Joe
    Last edited by StarMetal; 11-26-2005 at 10:00 PM.

On Heaven's Range

Boy, I'll tell y'all....

At the risk of really hurting some folks' feelings, and in the full awareness of the excellent performance record and wide service of the Glock pistols of all calibers, this is one ol' fart who HAS to say:

"LIFE IS TOO SHORT (for ME) TO SHOOT BUTT-UGLY GUNS!"

...and brothers, the Glock sure fits that description to my prejudiced eyes.

(BruceB is now high-tailing it for the deep dark timber, and I hope I make it to cover afore the shootin' starts!)
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Banned
    Bruce

Not to worry. Before I bought a Glock I thought what a piece of ugly plastic crap. Then one day at a gun show I picked one up......hmmmmmm hey not bad, light, felt good in my hand....aaahh I don't like 9mm's so put it down. Then they came out with the 45. I got one right away and I'm not one bit sorry. I guess some criminal could go ahead and laugh his ass off at my ugly Glock while I fill him full of lead and believe me a 13 shot 45 acp certainly would do that.

They really aren't bad pistols and it seems all the manufacturers have their own plastic versions out so Glock must have come up with something good. I still love the 1911 best though.

Joe

Boolit Buddy

Yup , what Starmetal said... I shoot #452488's and 452374's in my H&K USP and get no leading. Also it works with light loads (3.7 gr BE) or normal (6.5 Unique) feeds and ejects both. Just remember , if ya blow a case, yer prolly gonna lose the frame(splits when gas goes into the mag well), so what Dep Al said about the unsupported case might be the deciding factor. Just my .02 worth.
    John

Banned
    The model 21 Glock doesn't have any more exposed case web then any 1911 on the market, so you're wrong Johniv. So tell me why it's going to blow a case and put gas in the magazine well? And dear sir I said I shoot a HK USC 45acp carbine, which apparently you aren't familiar with. See those letters "USC" not USP. USP is their pistol. The USC carbine is an United States legal copy of HK's submachinegun, that is it has a 16 inch barrel and is semi auto AND it even supports the case more then a 1911.

Here's what it looks like:

So old Joe isn't going to blow up any of his 45acps.

Joe
    Last edited by StarMetal; 11-26-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Joe , yup I know the rifle(USC>> universal selfloading carbine) I just agreed with you about not leading in polygonal bbls. That being said, lots can happen thru human error. Saw a UMP (smg) damaged by a .40 cal rd loaded into the mag then fed into the bbl(push feed) the rd went half way down the bore and the operator got a "click" did an immediat action (fed a 45 in behind it and lost the reciever. Did not get hurt but the smg suffered. I have fired factory GI ammo that lost the primers or swelled the unsupported area in a USP that fires +P ammo quite well. I can only think that the brass was substandard. So I was only agreeing with you, but as I said we sometimes get bad suprises.
    John

Banned
    Johniv

I tell ya, when a web blows out of case in a 1911 and gas goes down the mag well, man on man, usually the shooter ends up with wood splinters in his hand, a blowed out magazine, and bruised ego. I'm wondering what a Glock does if it blows gas down the mag well, that plastice grip doesn't look as brittle as wood, might just blow the magazine out.

Joe

Boolit Buddy

Sir, never had the pleasure of that while I was holding the gun..have seen some plastic guns that damaged that way. Not Glocks but I understand the term"KA-BOOM" was coined for glocks. The delema of a new bbl for a new gun may be determined by the support(or lack of) of the case or tightness of the chamber, but as we both know the polygonal bore can take the PB projectiles in stride. (Properly cast and sized, not necessasarly store bought, soft sweged slugs)
    John

Banned
    Johniv

You know though, when HK brought out that 91 rifle it had polygon rifling. Dang things were deadly accurate too. Have a friend that still has one. But then HK went to regular rifling saying that the polygon rifling caused high pressure with certain ammo. How, why, what ammo?

Joe

Boolit Buddy

Joe, the 91 is very accurate, with poly or standard bore.Dont know what ammo prompted the change but I would be afraid of any solid bronze projectile, or the new "High power or High velocity" loadings in any semi auto. These werenot avail when the change to conventional rifleing was made.
    (that I know of).The 91 worked best with 150 to 170 gr bullets. I wonder if they shoot PB boolits well. With no gas system they may be easy to feed, as there would be no problem with a gas port etc just balance the load and pressure curve to the standard locking piece ..but I digress..
    John

Question Hmmm. New barrel(s) or new gun....

Hmmm. Thank you Joe for passing along those observations on .40 vs. .45 Glocks. Why, in your opinion, don't the .45's have the same kind of problems?
    Maybe I should think about moving up to the G21.... I really like my G23, though, and my nephew is a cop, so I get all the brass I could ever want for it for nothing. It is a lot cheaper just to replace the barrel, too. I went from revolvers right to the Glock as I have never been comfortable with grip safeties, but that may be just that 1911 frames don't fit my hand as well as I'd like. My dad has a full sized Kimber which I've shot quite a bit, and it's very accurate, (and also a Colt Officer's Model which I think is a waste of perfectly good steel ), but I am faster onto the target and more confident with my G23. I have nothing at all against the .45ACP, and I like the idea of the .45GAP though have not yet had a chance to put one through its paces. Any thoughts on .357SIG? How do they do with cast? It's just a matter of a new barrel to switch to that, too.
    I think standards of beauty are relative. The Glocks have clean, simple lines, no controls to fiddle with or worry about, they're rugged and reliable, and they're more accurate than most comparable pistols. In all the 17's, 19's, 22's, and 23's that I have owned and/or shot, I have never experienced a single failure to feed. (Somewhere between 4-5000 rounds of 9mm's and .40's.) It might not win any beauty contests, but then, I wouldn't either. Not that I really give a flyin' (whatever) how it looks, it works! And it works every time. I trust it with my life, and much more importantly, the lives of my children. To me, that's beautiful.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Glock Kb

Quote Originally Posted by versifier
    Hmmm. Thank you Joe for passing along those observations on .40 vs. .45 Glocks. Why, in your opinion, don't the .45's have the same kind of problems?
    Maybe I should think about moving up to the G21.... I really like my G23, though, and my nephew is a cop, so I get all the brass I could ever want for it for nothing. It is a lot cheaper just to replace the barrel, too. I went from revolvers right to the Glock as I have never been comfortable with grip safeties, but that may be just that 1911 frames don't fit my hand as well as I'd like. My dad has a full sized Kimber which I've shot quite a bit, and it's very accurate, (and also a Colt Officer's Model which I think is a waste of perfectly good steel ), but I am faster onto the target and more confident with my G23. I have nothing at all against the .45ACP, and I like the idea of the .45GAP though have not yet had a chance to put one through its paces. Any thoughts on .357SIG? How do they do with cast? It's just a matter of a new barrel to switch to that, too.
    I think standards of beauty are relative. The Glocks have clean, simple lines, no controls to fiddle with or worry about, they're rugged and reliable, and they're more accurate than most comparable pistols. In all the 17's, 19's, 22's, and 23's that I have owned and/or shot, I have never experienced a single failure to feed. (Somewhere between 4-5000 rounds of 9mm's and .40's.) It might not win any beauty contests, but then, I wouldn't either. Not that I really give a flyin' (whatever) how it looks, it works! And it works every time. I trust it with my life, and much more importantly, the lives of my children. To me, that's beautiful.

Stands for ka boom, so a search on it and you will come up with some interesting reading. we have lost 40s several at work through reloads. Some say leading, some say dirty, we blew one up a new one the first mag I am told.

Our armour feels the pistol will fire while slightly out of battery and this combined with an ample chamber, stretched brass from being fired in the ample is enough sometimes to let go.

I have used a Mod 26 9mm (most seem to report problems with the 40+ cals) with lots of cast with no problems at all. I wished my new 92FS shot as well as that little snubbie Glock.

I'd use the issue Bbl for carry with jacketed ammo and get an after market Bbl for lead practice ammo and I'd also try and use the same weight/power level loads. I'd be reluctant to 'customise' your work gun with a 'killer' barrel which enhances performance and accuracy, keep it simple in court.

We are currently looking at H&Ks. Our armourer asked if reloads could be used in the guns, the rep answered, ' if you can jam it in the chamber, these guns will happily digest it!'
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

KCSO, I have a Glock 34 in 9mm and shoot nothing but my own hard cast boolits through it. To date no problems with leading. The boolit is a 125 gr TC by CBE with 3.5grns of ADI AP70. Groups are tight off a rest.

Ron

FESTINA LENTE. (Hasten Slowly).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast