RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .44 special

Boolit Master

.44 special

anyone have a 5 shot 44 spl ? was thinking about getting one and wasn't sure who made one anymore.

Boolit Grand Master

I, for a short time, had a Taurus Tracker in .44 magnum. I had no intention of using this light gun with full charge magnum ammo but rather picked it up with the intention of using Skeeter's .44 Special load (7.5 Unique with a 240-250 Keith bullet). Unfortunately, the short cylinder of the Tracker would not allow me to use Keith bullets (loaded round was too long), so I decided that I did not want to load a particular load just for this revolver (I have several other .44 Specials that just LOVE the Skeeter load). So, I sold it.

Smith has made some .44 Specials in the recent past but I don't believe that they are cataloging any now. Taurus still catalogs a .44 magnum Tracker in both blue and stainless. That short cylinder was a deal breaker for me.

However, I really like the Tracker stainless in .45 ACP. That one works WELL. A really good woods gun, for sure.

Dale53

I'm A Honcho!
    I have a FA97 that is just the cats PJ's.....

Charter Arms Bulldog.
    Last edited by Scrounger; 12-19-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a 44 "Target" Bulldog bought new back in the 70's. Great little gun.

However it weighs about 19 Oz.! So a steady diet of 429421's was a little hard to handle.

Instead I bought a Lyman full wadcutter mold. Not sure of the number right off hand but it makes a neat 180 grain full wadcutter that doesn't beat me up when pushed to velocities that will get someones attention!

Still have it , won't sell it, suggest you start looking for one they are out there!

I have also seen the Taurus but never shot one. Given what Dale53 has said about the one he had I think the Lyman wadcutter would be a good bet for it as well.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Smith has made some .44 Specials in the recent past but I don't believe that they are cataloging any now.
    They're still offering the Model 24, blue or nickel, square butt, 6" barrel. Both are 6 shot N-frames, however.

Boolit Grand Master

I picked up a SS Rossi 44 special 5 shot at the gun show a couple years ago. Wasn't looking for one but couldn't pass up the price. $200 and if it wasn't new it was shot very little. Nice little gun too especially for the $$. Shot real good too or a 2" barrel.
    I liked it so much I didn't hesitate last gun show I went to, to pick up another Rossi in 357. It was nickle plated which I'm not so crazy about but it had everything else I was looking for in a consealed carry. 6 shot too.
    I haven't shot them allot but I have had no problems with them.
    Last edited by mooman76; 09-07-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: add
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

I have a 696 Smith... I have only started to load with cast for it, but I have big plans!
    I think my son has big plans for the revolver too. It's one of his favorites.

Doug

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    About the Taurus .44 special. It can digest 265 grain #429244 GC without much trouble or recoil. I'm still experimenting with that weight bullet using other powders as well.

This picture is my m-441 in .44 special. the target is 265 grain bullets I mentioned above.

Though I agree, 180 grain bullets are cream puffs to shoot, don't count out the heavier bullets as well.

It is also my intention to use some VihtaVouri N 330 to obtain velocities of 856 to 900 + fps.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

The Taurus 441 is a a totally different revolver from the Tracker.

I do like my Tracker Stainless in .45 ACP, tho' (as I mentioned before). The .45 ACP doesn't suffer from too short a cylinder.

Regarding the .44 Wadcutter in a .44 Special. I have a Group Buy 200 gr double ended wadcutter that would make a fine defense OR target bullet. I can just visualize it as being a really good bunny bullet, also. I have really enjoyed hunting rabbits with a handgun. It is very sporting and the bag limits are not high. However, when you do bring home a couple with just a single hole in them, the family really appreciates them. I just LOVE that kind of hunting. I never had to shoot a rabbit twice with the .44 (once always did the job). Hit them in the slats and there is no lost meat, either. I have used everything from a .22 on up on rabbits. My preference is a .32 S&W L SWC or WC or a .38 Special WC but have done well with .44's (at them time that was the only stainless revolver I had and it was raining...)

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I have a Charter Arms Bulldog that I bought at auction years ago. It was a reliable close range pistol that spent a lot of time in my truck but did not see a lot of time shooting. No problems with it, I used light load 240s.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Smith & Wesson makes the Model 396 Night Guard - .44SP
    A five shot light wieght but you'd better be prepared to spend a dime.

Their new alloy light weight 44 mags are IMO a good 44 special gun that will chamber a 44 mag.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Tuarus Tracker Titanium in 41 mag that is very high on my personal preference list only after my Dan wesson 41 mag. The Taurus is a 5 shot and weighs less than 2 pounds. Has a real nice factory "Cushion Grip" that makes it comfortable with 210 grain mag loads. 240 grain loads are a bit more interesting. Barrel is ported so muzzle climb is not terrible.

.45 Colt Trackers are nice in four inch barrels.

If they made them in .44 special I'd have one...and yes, I know you can shoot them in .44 magnums...but don't want too.

Jim

In Remebrance

Love my Bulldog. If I ever run onto another for cheap I'll get it too and bob the hammer to make it more of a pocket gun.

Boolit Mold
    I recently bought a Rossi 720 stainless with 3" barrel and really enjoy this 44 special. I am going to send in my money for the group buy for a full wadcutter that Blammer is running. I think this should be a great bullet for this revolver. I am new to posting. but have enjoyed reading and learning from the members for a long time.

Boolit Master
    I almost have a 5 shot 44 spl. Got a 586 S&W, a 696 cylinder and a 6" Python barrel rebored to 44 cal. All that's left is some money and a gunsmith.

Boolit Master

I compared the Smith 624 to the Charter Arms and....

Quote Originally Posted by NSP64 View Post
    anyone have a 5 shot 44 spl ? was thinking about getting one and wasn't sure who made one anymore.
    Hi,

I compared the S & W model 624 to the Charter Arms, and boy was I glad I bought the 624! The Smith seemed a bit flimsy and light, but is twice the gun the Charter Arms is.
    For me, I simply couldn't see shooting the Charter Arms. It's smaller than the Smith, and even lighter. The 624 was uncomfortable with the Skeeter Skelton load (8 grains Unique, 240 gr. SWC). I couldn't imagine shooting that out of the Bulldog!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

8.0 grains of Unique is a heavy load and recoil would be severe.

However, the Charter Arms revolvers are not useless toys, they are carried CCW
    by men that can shoot them with aplomb.

Wish I could shoot .38 special factory loads in a snub nose revolver, but I can't handle that either...too old.

I wouldn't shoot the above mentioned 8.0 grain load in any of my revolvers.

Jim
    Last edited by Swagerman; 09-09-2008 at 09:07 AM.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Herman View Post
    Hi,

I compared the S & W model 624 to the Charter Arms, and boy was I glad I bought the 624! The Smith seemed a bit flimsy and light, but is twice the gun the Charter Arms is.
    For me, I simply couldn't see shooting the Charter Arms. It's smaller than the Smith, and even lighter. The 624 was uncomfortable with the Skeeter Skelton load (8 grains Unique, 240 gr. SWC). I couldn't imagine shooting that out of the Bulldog!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom
    I have both the Charter BD and S+W M-24. Two different guns, two different philosophys. The Smith is a full size N-Frame premium revolver that is a beatiful piece of workmanship. The Charter is a medium frame "workingmans" gun. The BD get carried a lot and shot a little. The Smith is carried a little but will be shot much more. If I drop the BD in the mud while checking fence I pick it up and rinse it in the stream. If I drop the Smith I break into hysterics and cry like a little girly man before rushing back to the house to check it all over and lavish loving care on it. You get the idea.

I've shot the BD with full house 44 loads including the Skeeter 7.5 gr Unique/Lyman 429421 load. Stiff recoil but no broken bones. I don't recommend a steady diet of that type load for the BD. In fact I have a 180 gr wadcutter that is much nicer. Just don't sell the BD short.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast