Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifles that span two centuries

Howdy Fellers
    I have a 71/84 Mauser That I would be willing to sell .

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Ed View Post
    Howdy Fellers
    I have a 71/84 Mauser That I would be willing to sell .
    Post it up on swapping and selling complete with pictures and let us look at it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Olde guns are cool. I have several that have been in my family for well over 200 years. My great great great (whatever) ancestor came to the “new world” as a civil engineer and helped surveyed the roads in Jamestown. He liked the country so well he stayed........and my family has been here ever since! (Does that make me a “native” American?????? Probably more than Liz Warren!) It is a nice feeling to handle a firearm that you know your ancestors hunted and fed their family with. Now I just go to the grocery store!!!!!!

Bangerjim

Boolit Master
    My oldest is a Nepalese Gahendra 577/450 next I have 3 1898 krags that I still shoot and 2 P17's that make the 100 year old club .

I planned on doing that, just testing the waters

Boolit Master
    I just got a Marlin 1893 breakdown in 30-30. It is a family piece that I finally pried out of my older brother's grip. From the serial number it was made in 1897 which makes it 120 years oldClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin Closeup In Case.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	220061 I need to get the case restored, the rifle looks new. I'm storing the Marlin put together and out of the case. The picture is how it came from my brother.

Boolit Master
    Peabody carbine in 56-50 rimfire maybe one of these days get converted to centerfire, 1875 Swedish rolling block sporter in 8x58r haven't done anything with it yet. 1878 Swiss Vetterli nice bore but has corrosion in the throat. 1888 Commission rifle in 8mm, one 1891 Argentine mauser carbine, one 1898 Krag sporter. Don't know what it is with the old firearms but when holding them cannot think about who held them many years ago. Think I have an addiction to them. Frank

Boolit Master

Why is everyone talking about rifles that span three centuries? Guns made in the 19th century are now working on their third century. I AM NOT COMPLAINING.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Those are some nice vintage rifles to go and shoot from time to time.

My oldest is probably my .43 Egyptian Rolling block rifle. But I need to fix the buttstock before I think about shooting it. My other oldie is a 1888 Gewehr rifle made in 1893. It has the S stamp mark so it would work with standard low power 8x57mm Mauser ammunition. Then I have a 8x60R Kropatschek rifle which was made in 1886. It is shootable, but I haven't made any ammo for it yet. My Japanese Type 30 Training rifle was converted from a regular one, so it might count as a oldie now too, since they were made before 1900 too.
    Earlwb,
    You need to get the Krop shooting! I have a 8x60R Kropatschek and it is one of the nicest rifles to shoot-at the moment I use a Lee .338 mold that I size down to .332 and use 11 grains of Unique for 100 yard targets, it seems to work nicely.
    Also have a MH MkIV from 1886 that always puts a smile on my face and an old fowling shotgun with a Damascus barrel that I dare not shoot as the barrel looks a bit thin in places. Hope to get a Snider when the funds (and the wife) permit.

Boolit Master
    My oldest, working, firearm, is a DWM 1891 Argentine Engineers Carbine in 7.65x53. Still has the Crest of Argentina on the receiver, and no import marks. Great bore, and relegated to cast shooting only. Made in 1899. Spans 3 centuries now.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    Alex-Henry 1876 made by Brendalin Arms Co

Here is another couple, 1892 Winchesters (made in 1892) in 38/40. While not strictly military rifles, these were special order for the state prison service and to my suprise 126 y/o rifles with conseqetive 4 digit serial numbers!

Hi BAW, I just recently bought an Alexander Henry Navy model in 577-450 - is it likely to be "overbore" like the Martini-Henrys? It has fairly reasonlable looking henry rifling after a bit of cleaning-up but I have yet to try and slug the bore...
    Cheers, Tex

Boolit Master

Thanks to all who have posted. I have enjoyed this thread.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Nothing real special here....I have a Mosin Nagant dated 1895 that came out of the Russian (TULA Imperial markings) arsenal. It's a shooter though.

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 05-18-2023 at 07:09 AM.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

1921 marlin model 93 in 32 special. Was using it for cowboy lever gun silhouette. Loves cast

Boolit Master

Nice collection! Could you post a pic of the other side of the Henry? I almost bagged one one day, but it slipped by.

Heck! More than half of what's in my gun safe is over 100 years old, at least when the manufacture date on the receivers of a slew of Mauser sporters is considered. I count WW1 era military and commercial guns as being "modern." My oldest that I'm not skittish to shoot (w/BP) are an 1867 Danish RB and a 1870 Swedish RB, both in excellent condition. The oldest in the safe may be a Nepalese Snider rifle in .577 with a Tower P-1853 lock. I have no idea actually how old that one really is.

Boolit Master
    I have a Remington 45-70 rolling block that dates to 1880 - still shoot it regularly. Also a Spanish El Tigre in 44-40 that was made in the 1920’s - great bore on that one, almost looks new.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I haven't yet fired the oldest rifle in cumulative possession.
    Its not easy to find and get everything in one place for an 1866 Chessipot . It has an issue stamp of 1871 . For those not familiar it's a single shot bolt action needle fire like the Driess .

Being a more modern kind of guy I have copies of an1860 Colts 44 and 1858 Remingtons in 44 and 36 cal . My favorite is a 2nd model Colts Dragoon 44 .

Next up , although all that remains of the 1916 DWM is the action bottom metal and action screws is the GEW 1898 . Followed by a pair of 1918 made 1917 S&Ws . Mom has a 1905 framed 1917 Colts .

Nice examples sir .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Got a percussion rifle with an 1830's vintage lock on it. No date on the rifle. Rifle appears to be same vintage with no makers mark on it.

Oldest is an 1870 Trapdoor in 50-70, next is a 1871 Rolling block in .43 Spanish then a 1892? Krag in 30-40. There's a Mannlicher in 8x56R then a Swede in 6.5x55 I think was built in 1911. A Chilean Mauser in 7x57 and a Turkish Mauser in 8x57. Next is a P14 and a Model 1917, then a Model 1917 that has been sporterized into a 300 H&H. I think that's it for the old, old ones. Then the 03A3 comes in with the M1 Garand's and the 30 Carbines and the 1935 Model 12. And the Lever "A" grade side-by-side from the 30's.

That's the majority of my old stuff.

I like the old stuff way too much.

And forgot the Nagant revolver.......and the Carcano. And probably several more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast