Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Recoil Difference

Boolit Mold

Recoil Difference

Trying to get a .459 mold in the 240 to 300g range. Mostly for fun type shooting. Only mold I can come up with is a 400 or 405 g bullet. I can size the .459 down to the .458 to use in a sabot. 400g is a big chunk of lead and wonder how much harder the kick will be from a 400g compared to a 250 or 300g. Shoulder has been repaired once and don't want to blow it out again with to heavy a load. Haven't shot muzzle loader for 45 years and looking forward to get back into it again.

Welcome to the list.

There are many 458 molds in the 250 - 300 grain range, including RCBS

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...nose-gas-check

and Lyman

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/65...ose-bevel-base

The Lyman 145 grain "collar button" may be of interest to you

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/94...ton-round-nose

You may want to offer more specific information on your muzzle loading rifle, so we can better help you. Using rifle bullets intended for cartridge guns in muzzleloading rifles can be a bit tricky. All of my 45 caliber ML rifles work best with bullets around 0.451" or so. What rifle are you loading? Is it 45 caliber, or 50 caliber?

If you wan to shoot saboted bullets in a 50 caliber rifle, I suggest you visit the MMP website.

http://mmpsabots.com/

Here you will find you can purchase sabots to load 0.430", 0.451" and 0.458" bullets. If your goal is lightweight bullets in 50 caliber sabots, I suggest 0.451" bullets in the appropriate sabots.

Take care, Tom
    Last edited by Tatume; 04-01-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Didn't do a very good job of explaining what I was after did I. Knight .50 cal muzzle loader. Knight Rifles advised a good target shooting bullet would be a .458 cast bullet between 240 and 300 g in a Knight red sabot. I have the sizer and die for the .458. I have not shot using sabots or cast bullets before. Back when I was into the black powder shooting it was all round ball and patch with black powder so this is all new to me. Many molds listed on eBay but nothing in the weight range I would like. Thanks for the information provided and will check out those leads soon.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

"Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

In that size boolit, if you use the starting or a little better load for a cast boolit, it is not a super heavy load. It'll kick, but it won't rattle your core. I think as long as your loading on the lower side the 400 grn boolit will be fine. It's when you start getting close to the max load GC'd boolits that it starts to be no fun.

Depends on the vel you run them at but a recoil can be quite a bit more.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol