Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt 2 - And the Sale That Never Was...

Boolit Bub
    Midway has the RCBS pro melt 2 in stock.

Boolit Master
    Wow. I checked a couple days ago, there was nothing in stock. I didn't think it would get to market. It's been 2 years I think. Good to see another choice.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Bub

Boolit Master
    Well, fingers crossed that RCBS got the bugs out !
    I bought my PM2 Nov 2019, didn't work well at all, temp off by about 120 deg, PID read 750 deg when the lead was still solid, took over an hour to get to (real) 750.
    I think they stopped selling in Jan 2020.
    So, most of a year to get the bugs out.
    I give RCBS credit, tech guy told me how to fool the PID temp.
    I know some others with a PM2 of this vintage didn't have these same problems; so must have been a serious QC issue ?
    The big thing is the temp probe must have been right next to the heating element - I hope they moved it.
    Also, It's still a pain to keep the fan on till it cools to protect the PID - I keep meaning to move the electronics so I can just shut it off - but, procrastination is my super power !
    Any one who buys a new one, please keep us in the loop on how the new one works.
    Not really bashing RCBS, I think they just wanted to beat Lyman to selling a "PID pot" and poked the pooch.
    The tech rep did say he would get me a new one as soon as they were available (back in Nov 2019) - not holding my breath. Haha
    I have run in excess of 2000 lbs alloy through mine in the past year, band-aids, "fooling" PID, etc still working.
    But sheesh, for an almost $300 pot ???????
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Don't blame me, I didn't design it!

Considering getting one, have the original Pro Melt but a second pot could be very nice. (Fill one and cast with the other etc.)

I just spoke to RCBS about the Pro-Melt 2. It is discontinued because as the guy told me, it wasn't working like they wanted it to. I asked him if they are making a Pro-Melt 3 and he said something is in the works.

Boolit Master
    There and GONE AGAIN. I guess my PM2 is now RARE. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Well, to no surprise, Midway sez, "out of stock - no back order". 2 days ago it was full speed ahead.
    I do believe RCBS put their foot in it again.
    Anyone have the Lyman ? - It's on sale
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Bub
    I talked to a woman today at RCBS.
    She said they are testing the revised pro melt 2 and it should be released sometime in December .

Boolit Master
    "Revised" again ???? lol
    I'm giving up, VERY disappointed in RCBS.
    I ran literately a couple tons of alloy through my PM1, never an issue with it, finally gave up the ghost; so I buy a PM2, mine is junk !
    I have read some don't have any issues, lucky them.
    Mine takes over an hour to heat up, temp is off by 120 deg when it stabilizes, the PID reads 750 when the alloy is still solid and the Lyman dial reads 400.
    I'm planning on getting a PID from HATCH, from what I've seen, he can tell me how to wire his in place of the original.
    So my $300 pot turns into a ~$450 pot (maybe shoulda bought the Lyman pot !)
    Oh well, I can use the new PID on my PC oven too, so I have that going for me.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Bub
    Wow, sorry to hear this. When and where did you buy the PM2? The lady I talked to said they had them(revised PM2) in their shop and were testing them before they released them. She advised me to go on the RCBS website enter my email address to be notified when they are in stock.

Boolit Master
    Hi Larry, got it from Midway over a year ago.
    I have to say, I finally got hold of a good guy at RCBS and he told me how to "fool" the PID.
    Still a pain, but I can cast with it now.
    Over a year to fix it ? This isn't rocket surgery ! lol
    It is my best hope they can get a working pot to the market, the PM1 was a gem !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Master
    So, Super Mod HATCH is helping me with the PM2 (this guy is amazing !), I'm on RCBS site to scrounge some info, what do my wandering eyes see - "the new, improved PM2" ,in stock, only $318.11

Will it stay "available?"
    Who's up to being a beta tester ???? ........ Again
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    So, Super Mod HATCH is helping me with the PM2 (this guy is amazing !), I'm on RCBS site to scrounge some info, what do my wandering eyes see - "the new, improved PM2" ,in stock, only $318.11

Will it stay "available?"
    Who's up to being a beta tester ???? ........ Again

I'll do it, just set me up a gofund me

But seriously considering this for after christmas.

Boolit Master
    Dimner, that's a great idea !
    I wonder how a gofund me would work for buying primers !!!!!!!

I truly hope they get it right this time, RCBS has been a premier vendor for reloading/casting for so long.
    I considered them pricey, but you get quality gear. - usually

If you get one, let us know how it works, (I have a few "hacks" I hope you won't need)
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Bub
    Midway has the RCBS pro melt 2 on sale for $260, out of stock though. It will be interesting to see if they keep it at that price when they have it available again.

Boolit Buddy
    I have mentioned on here in the past that last spring my Lyman Mag 20 started throwing house circuit breakers consistently. Could well be the house wiring. I called Lyman and my 30 plus year-old unit is no longer supported, and they were not enthusiastic about fixing it during the Covid pandemic. I guess we decided on the call that sending it back to them wasn't worth the cost. But they offered me great discount on their latest, the Mag 25 (I believe it's called, too lazy to go look at it). The service was great and I have now loaded thousands of bullets with it and look upon the demise of the old unit as good luck because the new one works so well. It's much faster, keeps temperature right on what I select, and it's of a very high quality. I enjoyed casting anyway but enjoy it much more now. I hate to spend money but when I buy something that works very well as this does it takes me only a few minutes to get over the expenditure. So I recommend the Lyman product to anyone. I cast on a covered 40 foot deck across the front of the house, and at high tide I am only 60 or 70 feet from salt water (perhaps 200 hundred yards at a low tide) so everything electrical is challenged, which could be what led to the demise of my first Lyman furnace. I will say that the view is worth it. My view is obstructed by islands. Admiralty Island is about six miles directly in front. S. Shelter Island comes down from the north, and behind it the mountains of the Chilkat Peninsula, which is the mainland, rises above the island. Glacier Bay National Park is just beyond the Peninsula. On the other side of Admiralty is Chicagof Island, and beyond that is nothing until one hits Asia. To the south I see the north end of Douglas Island, which is seven miles away. There is a tiny, narrow island, Portland Island, about two miles long, that is about two miles off the front of the house. There is always something to see out there while I am casting. I'm at 58 degrees N. latitude.

Boolit Master

I see that Midway has these in stock again as of 5 minutes ago. $261.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

Will miracles never cease?
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    I see that Midway has these in stock again as of 5 minutes ago. $261.
    I wonder why Midway would have them in stock and the actual RCBS website shows them as being out of stock? One would think RCBS would have them in stock before a vendor?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast