Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .300 savage

Boolit Man

.300 savage

Ok.. sticker shock. I recently acquired a model 81 Remington in .300 savage. I bought a couple of boxes of ammo for the gun.. the gunstore blew the dust off the 20 round 150 grain boxes and said $44 bucks for the two boxes! yikes...

soo. the parent case being .308/ought six or... vice versa.. I got some .308 military brass.. I wanted military since it has no '.308' on the headstamp. bought some .300 Savage dies and this is easy peasy.. run em through the size die and trim.. instant .300 savage cases for almost nothing.

lazs

Even made them from range pick up .270's a long time ago, forming trimming, reaming and turning.
    But had to recheck the internal dimensions at the base of the neck after firing and resizing.

Boolit Master
    Leave your cases a little long until fire formed.
    The brass does not conform to the sharp shoulder when formed.
    Fire forming will blow out the shoulders and the already short neck gets even shorter.
    EDG

Watch your powder charge in the reformed cases as volume is reduced and pressure gets high. I don't remember off hand, the difference in my charges in this instance but a moderate load in .300 Sav brass was a bolt sticker when used in the reformed cases. A 5 to 7 grain reduction was required if memory serves.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned
    lazs,

A piece of "free advice", even though you didn't ask, FULL-LENGTH resize your cases for the Model 8, 81, 742 & (in some examples) the Model 760 & 7600 pump-rifles. = "Powerful extraction" is NOT one of the better qualities of those particular Remington rifles.

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Watch your powder charge in the reformed cases as volume is reduced and pressure gets high. I don't remember off hand, the difference in my charges in this instance but a moderate load in .300 Sav brass was a bolt sticker when used in the reformed cases. A 5 to 7 grain reduction was required if memory serves.
    I had the same experience when forming 7.65 Argentine from 30-06. Mil brass is quite thick, with reduced internal volume, and I had some high pressure loads until I figured that out.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I had the same experience when forming 7.65 Argentine from 30-06. Mil brass is quite thick, with reduced internal volume, and I had some high pressure loads until I figured that out.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

In Remembrance

Don`t seem to be much of a problem finding fired brass around here in Michigan during the Summer and Fall before deer season in November.Robert

Banned

When I first got into the .300 Savage a few years ago, brass wasn't that hard to come by and I quickly accumulated a few hundred just by asking on here in swapping and selling.

I tried the reform thing out of a .308 case once just to see. Easy enough on a rock chucker, but that's a lot of trimming. If I were gonna do it much, I think I'd get a file type trim die and a hack saw.

Boolit Master
    I had a Remington 81 in .300 Savage about thirty years ago. There was no shortage of brass at that time, but I was curious about reforming other brass to make .300 Savage. I think I used .30-06 cases; a lot of trouble and I don't recommend it. I only made a few cases and neck turning was mandatory, but the brass worked fine.

I would add to my post above that the cases I formed were from LC 7.62 x 51. The forming was simple as I lubed with a lanolin based lubricant, ran the case into the .300 Sav. die using my Co-Ax press. The reformed case was trimmed and neck turned on a Forster standard trimmer adapted to power operation. While a good deal of brass was removed in trimming, the process was as quick as regular trimming. The only real pproblem is preventing true .300 Sav brass from mixing with the reformed brass. As stated in earlier posts, the propellant charge must be significantly reduced to prevent over pressure.
    Last edited by Dan Cash; 04-02-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Mold
    Don't know how you determined that the 308 was the parent case for the 300 Savage. The 300 was introduced in around 1920 because they wanted the velocity of the 06 in a case that would work well in the Model 99 Savage. They got real close with the 150 grain bullet at around 2600-1700 fps. 300 Savage was truly one of the first short magnums to come out. Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    use to make them out of 308 win for my Thompson Contender
    the case rim was a bit thicker and they gave 100 % reliability
    when used in the contender
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

The parent case for the 300 Savage is the 250 Savage. Which was based on the 30 ought 6 case. The extraction Groove tells the tale. The extraction groove on the 308 case closely resembles the 45 ACP. Winchester designed the 308 from whole cloth so to speak. Despite all this, the 308 will form into 300 Savage very easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Just finished forming some 40 mixed 308 civilian brass to 300 Savage.

Polished, deprimed, cleaned primer pockets, sized in 308 Win dies, then sized in 300 Savage dies.
    A Lee trimmer base chucked in a hand drill motor and the Lee trimmer ball handle with length rod made quick work of trimming.
    While still in the trimmer base, used an inside/outside chamfer tool and then reloaded with 150 gr 311440 Lyman slugs with gas checks. H2400 pushed things along about 1800 f/s.

Tried the same thing, using LC brass and the cartridges didn't like to chamber in the 1952 Remington pump. Guess some neck turning is needed.
    My brother got the rifle new way back when, and sold it to me when he moved up to 30-06.
    smilin jack

Boolit Man
    The 300 Savage was the parent case for the 308 Win. I have reformed some 308 brass into 300 Savage. Works well.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if it would work to blow out 22-250 brass.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    GONRA's pretty sure, if I dug real deep into my cartridge collection junque pyle -
    .300 Savage (FMJ bullet, with FA headstamp!!!) is one of the earliest cartridges
    used in the development of 7.62x51 NATO cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Made some 300 savage out of some 308 Lapua brass that was once fired. Did have to ream the case necks though. your pushing back the shoulder and getting into the thicker part of the case. Frank

I too have reformed .308 Win and 7.62x51 brass to .300 Sav and also found it to work well; I did turn necks. With the cases reformed from military brass, a word of caution: Reduced charges are in order as pressures get high pretty quickly. A starting charge was generally plenty as anything greater made the gun difficult to open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast