RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .300 savage

Boolit Buddy
    Looks to me like 7mm-08 would form easily to 300 Savage. The shoulder starts in the right place, and, necking up, there shouldn't be any neck thickness problems. There's only about .15" trimming to be done. Has anybody tried this?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lazs View Post
    Ok.. sticker shock. I recently acquired a model 81 Remington in .300 savage. I bought a couple of boxes of ammo for the gun.. the gunstore blew the dust off the 20 round 150 grain boxes and said $44 bucks for the two boxes! yikes...

soo. the parent case being .308/ought six or... vice versa.. I got some .308 military brass.. I wanted military since it has no '.308' on the headstamp. bought some .300 Savage dies and this is easy peasy.. run em through the size die and trim.. instant .300 savage cases for almost nothing.

lazs
    Back in the day I owned a Thompson Center Contender in ...Wait ....300 savage
    modified by JD himself he told me that the 300 savage had ignition troubles in the Contender format
    so I studied the cases and found the 308 win actually had a rim that was .001 thicker than the
    300 sav so I started making cases out of 308 win brass
    problem solved
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Why not ream it out to 308 Win and be done with it?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
    Why not ream it out to 308 Win and be done with it?
    I would Not subject a gen. one Contender to Such Cartridges as the 308!!!! YMMV

Boolit Buddy
    I use foreign military .308 brass with (boxer primer) that has one of those meaningless headstamps so as not confuse it with .308 Win.

Quote Originally Posted by lazs View Post
    Ok.. sticker shock. gunstore blew the dust off the 20 round 150 grain boxes and said $44 bucks for the two boxes! yikes...
    That sounds like fairly old prices.
    In years past, when I still had a Class VI, someone asked me how much I'd charge to reload some rifle stuff.
    I told them '$1. each, in your brass, in lots of 100, for a tricked out load with premium bullets tuned to your rifle'.

They squealed like a pig stuck under a gate.
    At the same time, a 20 round box of the cheapest garbage WalMart could find was $17. plus tax.

At this point in history, $22. a box for a caliber that's getting rather rare, is really pretty good.
    If it was me, I'd be so happy I found them for that..... I'd take my clothes off and dance on the kitchen table.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    It's sort of interesting to see all the warnings about reducing charges when using military brass for the cartridge conversions. Back in the 50s and 60s, when GI '06 brass was really cheap (I seem to remember about $0.06 to 08 each in lots of 100, less for 1000, but I could be misremembering*) the caution of "reduce charges 10% if milspec brass is used" was common in all the reloading manuals. As a general rule GI brass is thicker than commercial brass, resulting in higher pressures for the same load.

"Everything old is new again." comes to mind.

* Came across an old primer box with a "Sale" price tag on it, box of 100 LR primers (Remington) @ $0.25. Regular price was $0.50. Oh well, didn't make spit in those days compared to today but we seemed to get by pretty well anyway. New '68 F-100 was $1800 with dealer installed A/C additional. The only reason I haven't paid more for a truck than my house is I no longer buy new when I need a vehicle.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master
    It's sort of interesting to see all the warnings about reducing charges when using military brass for the cartridge conversions. Back in the 50s and 60s, when GI '06 brass was really cheap (I seem to remember about $0.06 to 08 each in lots of 100, less for 1000, but I could be misremembering*) the caution of "reduce charges 10% if milspec brass is used" was common in all the reloading manuals. As a general rule GI brass is thicker than commercial brass, resulting in higher pressures for the same load.

"Everything old is new again." comes to mind.

* Came across an old primer box with a "Sale" price tag on it, box of 100 LR primers (Remington) @ $0.25. Regular price was $0.50. Oh well, didn't make spit in those days compared to today but we seemed to get by pretty well anyway. New '68 F-100 was $1800 with dealer installed A/C additional. The only reason I haven't paid more for a truck than my house is I no longer buy new when I need a vehicle.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I have a form and trim die. It’s stupid quick. If I use .308 I don’t bother neck turning but if it’s a 06 length case where the neck forms from the parent body I give it a quick turn.

IMHO the form trim die was worth every penny

Last edited by fatnhappy; 05-13-2021 at 07:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That sounds like fairly old prices.
    In years past, when I still had a Class VI, someone asked me how much I'd charge to reload some rifle stuff.
    I told them '$1. each, in your brass, in lots of 100, for a tricked out load with premium bullets tuned to your rifle'.

They squealed like a pig stuck under a gate.
    At the same time, a 20 round box of the cheapest garbage WalMart could find was $17. plus tax.

At this point in history, $22. a box for a caliber that's getting rather rare, is really pretty good.
    If it was me, I'd be so happy I found them for that..... I'd take my clothes off and dance on the kitchen table.
    But the original post was 3+ years ago, pre-panic. $22/box was pricy for old stock.

Not so much today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12